Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 PM
warndt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Taurus vs Rossi .22 Pump rifles

Is there any difference in quality between the older Rossi .22 pump rifles in comparison to the newer Taurus version of these rifles or are they about the same?
Old 04-20-2014, 06:36 PM
1knifeboy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have own and have shot both. The only big difference that I would note is the Taurus have the "weird" safety on top of the bolt. I have neither ever used this safety nor have I ever had any problems as a result of it. Some say the overall quality of the Taurus rifles is better than the Rossi/Interarms ones, but I never found this to be true. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 PM
warndt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1knifeboy,

Yes it does...and thank you for the input.

Apparently both the Rossi and the Taurus models were made in the same factory, there is a good chance that they were made using the same tooling and more than likely by the same workers.

I wasn't aware that the Rossi's had made the shift to the top safety late in the game. I thought that was a pure Taurus change.

I had read that the older Rossi's were more desireable even having interchangable parts with the Winchester 62. I had also read that since Taurus started manufacturing this model that the quality was far more superior than the Rossi offering....thus the confusion.

Thanks again for the insight.

William

Last edited by warndt; 04-22-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 08:28 PM
BigLoop22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
warndt,

I have a Rossi 62, and it has the breechbolt-top safety. It is marked "L.S.I." (for Legacy Sports International), and was sold by them, after Interarms went out of business. The timeframe for this is the late nineteen-ninties. I bought it, in pristeen condition, but second-hand, from a pawnshop. It started off as a jam-o-matic, and, then, the carrier broke. I bought a new carrier, from M&M Gunsmithing, the old Interarms repair station, and I have been finetuning it, ever since. When the rifle finally works right, then I may grow to like it.

BigLoop22
Old 04-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I have an earlier Rossi 62SAC (from Interarms ~1977), and in some ways it is a better rifle than my 1940 Winchester 62A.
I have handled later Taurus's (Tauri ) and I don't think they measure up. JMHO of course.
Perhaps the later Rossi's were comparable to the Taurus but those early Rossi's are very fine rifles.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 PM
warndt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kestrel4k,
When you state that they don't measure up...what does that mean exactly?

This is the type of statement that I've been reading on various forums (in favor of one company or the other) and confuses me since nobody seems to expand a bit on what they are talking about...other than it's just an opinion...and that's cool too.

I'm just looking for a few examples of what makes you, and others, form their opinion one way or the other.

Could you offer a few examples of what is that made you form this opinion, since you have experience with all versions?

Thanks a bunch!

William

Last edited by warndt; 04-22-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
My opinion and two bucks can get you a cup of coffee right?

It's been many years since I compared the two modern rifles side to side, and memory has a way of filling in the blanks.

I will say that this particular Rossi of mine has the best trigger and smoothest pump action of any 62 I have ever handled.
Wondering if the Taurus' action can get that smooth? I do like not having that silly top safety naturally.

Honestly, it really could be one of those Ford vs. Chevy things ...

Old 04-23-2014, 04:00 PM
warndt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by warndt View Post
it's just an opinion...and that's cool too.
I understand...I've always been a Chevy guy myself.

Nice old guns! They definitely have that vintage mojo going on.

Thanks for posting the pictures...drool.

Wm.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:20 PM
STEELWIMP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just to add a bit to this conversation, here is my 1970s ? Rossi 62. I put a Taurus tang sight on it; cost a lot. I am not sure whether Winchester 62s have that front screw, but I had to have the Rossi drilled and tapped for the sight. Quality seems good; I only vaguely recall my old Winchester that I traded off over 50 years ago. I don't have pictures yet, but last weekend I installed sling swivels. The only other mod I am going to do is to fill the rear sight slot with a blank (as soon as I figure out the size!) Funny thing is, a few years ago I got the idea of selling the Rossi and buying a Taurus. I walked through a gun show trying to get $100 for the rifle. No takers!! If I had sold the rifle, silly me, Taurus was not making their slide rifles!!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:27 PM
warndt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
STEELWIMP...Please post some pictures of your sling setup when you get a chance. I can't believe nobody would give you 100 Bucks...Thank goodness!
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELWIMP View Post
Just to add a bit to this conversation, here is my 1970s ? Rossi 62. I put a Taurus tang sight on it; cost a lot. I am not sure whether Winchester 62s have that front screw, but I had to have the Rossi drilled and tapped for the sight. Quality seems good; I only vaguely recall my old Winchester that I traded off over 50 years ago. I don't have pictures yet, but last weekend I installed sling swivels. The only other mod I am going to do is to fill the rear sight slot with a blank (as soon as I figure out the size!)
I put the Taurus tang sight on my Rossi, it's nice but the windage rotates slightly when I rotate the sight up so I have to keep an eye on it.

BTW I thought that Skinner Sights made a Rossi-sized (metric) rear dovetail filler blank but I can't seem to find it at the moment, you might want to send him a query ...
Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 AM
JoeBobber
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
99% (72)
It may have been said, but I thought the Taurus ones were LR only, where the Rossi was S,L, and LR. Personally I have and love my Rossi, but I have a Taurus box with the Rossi manual. I would way rather have a Rossi box to go with my rossi gun...
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 PM
bobn
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am glad to see I am not the only fool. I have three rossi pumps. two Garcia imports and one Interarms. for a while I had a taurus 22 mag carbine but never shot it.....oh well, lol. must be a disease.
...thought I would cover the quality issue a little. the 72 era has crappy but well varnished wood with purple bluing. action has been shot smooth. the later but still Garcia imported era rossi is the nicest. correct color bluing, better sights, nice wood and a firm but smooth action. the interarms rossi is rude all the way around. bobn

Last edited by bobn; 05-04-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 PM
STEELWIMP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rossi 62 with sling

Here is a picture of my Rossi after I installed the sling. I also added a couple of other pictures of the setup I used to hold the rifle steady; I lost my vise and a lot of other tools in a storm, so I had to jury rig this setup. What I did was to nail a 2x4 to the side of the workbench. I used spring clamps to hold the rifle stock (padded with a cloth to not mar the finish). I then propped the action on a book to get the stock level for drilling. I am not trying to sound like a snob, but if this had been a Winchester I would have not done it this way and would have somehow found a real drill press. Not shown here is the buttstock. When I got the rifle, the screws were corroded. I went to Home Depot and got brass screws which I installed and lined up the slots.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:23 PM
chimpandolfo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Help

I have a pump rifle that is marked " H & R manufactured by Rossi, Brazil", I contacted H&R and they stated that because the serial # starts with a G it was manufactured in 1946 under some kind of license but they couldn't give me any more info. The rifle has a nicely done stock.
Anybody has any idea of
What's it is?
How much would it be worth?
Please PM or email