Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:59 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker4life View Post
It doesn't bother me to share prices.....It went for 127.50 + 16.00 shipping. I had put my bid cut off at 134.00 it surprised me I won. Heck the blank might had cost $100.

I too have many Iron's in the fire. When it gets here I might sand it some and hit it with mineral spirits to see what we have. I have a feeling I will trade it off or sell it, but who knows.
I think you got a great deal! If it's English walnut like I suspect the blank probably cost that much if not more. Splash on some spirits and head into the sunlight, I think those smoky lines will pop some and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If I owned it, I'd use it for an offhand target rig... set aside the classic traditional designs and details in lieu for some more wild stuff. I might tint the finish just a hair on the rusty side to add some color (still not completely in love with blonde walnut) to the wood, but definitely no stain or nothing to hide the grain lines. Maybe I'd shadow line the cheekpiece? Further sculpt the grip and comb/rollover? With the sorta funky lines in the grip and comb you could do a really cool fill-in checkering or stippling job, something out of the ordinary to follow those curves.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 PM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek-marlin-424 View Post
I think you got a great deal! If it's English walnut like I suspect the blank probably cost that much if not more. Splash on some spirits and head into the sunlight, I think those smoky lines will pop some and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If I owned it, I'd use it for an offhand target rig... set aside the classic traditional designs and details in lieu for some more wild stuff. I might tint the finish just a hair on the rusty side to add some color (still not completely in love with blonde walnut) to the wood, but definitely no stain or nothing to hide the grain lines. Maybe I'd shadow line the cheekpiece? Further sculpt the grip and comb/rollover? With the sorta funky lines in the grip and comb you could do a really cool fill-in checkering or stippling job, something out of the ordinary to follow those curves.
I too thought it might be English walnut.

I do not have any wood working tool's I have always been more of a metal fab type of person. So if I finish the stock it will likely keep this shape but smooth it out, I do agree that some type of end cap and a shadow line cheakpiece would make it pop, but I have never done anything like that my self and do not have the proper tools . I do like a nice piece of wood, and I like to refinish stock's in my spare time. Hand rubbed TruOil is my choice for projects and I do not like to stain the wood. I like the natural look.

Now you got my wheels turning, maybe some type of lightweight bull barrel would fit this stock nice. And another SuperSport would be born.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
I too thought it might be English walnut.

I do not have any wood working tool's I have always been more of a metal fab type of person. So if I finish the stock it will likely keep this shape but smooth it out, I do agree that some type of end cap and a shadow line cheakpiece would make it pop, but I have never done anything like that my self and do not have the proper tools . I do like a nice piece of wood, and I like to refinish stock's in my spare time. Hand rubbed TruOil is my choice for projects and I do not like to stain the wood. I like the natural look.

Now you got my wheels turning, maybe some type of lightweight bull barrel would fit this stock nice. And another SuperSport would be born.
If in doubt, just sanding and finishing that stock would be just fine. Actually more than fine! Do the wood some justice.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
The shape of that reminds me of this one...do it Man...do it

Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It is different but not tremendously so:

They are very comfortable stocks, at least mine is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-18-2014, 01:45 PM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Stock has arrived! I hit it with some mineral spirits and it seems to have a nice figure. English walnut maybe? I am feeling very overwhelmed I don't think I have to tools or skill to finish this stock out. It still need's some shaping and a butt pad fitted. I would really like to keep the stock but I now realize I cannot finish it properly.

So my options are to.

1. Pay someone to finish shaping, install a butt pad, and sand to 220 ?

2. Trade it for something?

3. Sell it ???????

4. Put in back in the box and set it on the shelf for who know how long?

Old 03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
send a PM to azguy with a link to this thread...see if he wants to take it on..if he will or someone else will you should keep it..if ya sell it and see photo's of it in the future all finished up you will KICK yourself.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The wood is really pretty. I know where you though I hate rough stock work.

Is the action inletting good? that may be the make or break for me if it were mine. I agree with Chaser that if you let it go you will hate it later but sometimes things are just too much.

On the plus side unless you need the money there is nothing wrong with a little work here and a little work there over a period of time.

Heck I have a Mod 700 stock (original Brown Precision hand laid fiberglass) I have been playing with 1979 and it is almost ready to paint!

Old 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Inletting is about 97% it has a tight press fit. I have no problem fitting the action/barrel channel in those areas it is ok to make a little mistake as it is hidden. I really do not want to let the stock go. I guess I need to PM a few guy's and get a Idea of what it will cost to smooth this thing out.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Ladykiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
what did you ever do with this stock?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:54 PM
graycrait
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Plinker4life and I trade stuff on a semi regular basis, seeing he lives only about 40 miles from me. So this stock is now in my hands and is being sanded slowly. I enlarged the channel just a bit so I can barely free float a .640 taper barrel. It has a pillar installed. It is going to take a long time to sand by hand, then I plan on putting on many many coats of Truoil. I am in a bit of quandary if I should use some sort of stain. I probably won't but I have to take quite a bit off the end of the stock to fit a sand to fit buttplate so I might try out a bit of stain in that area I have to remove just to see if anything impresses me that way.

Craig in Clarksville, TN
Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 PM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Please don't stain that stock. Really you can do whatever you want with it I had neither the time or tools to finish that one out. Believe me when Graycrait finishes shaping this stock it will have some wild lines.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:06 PM
graycrait
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What I was wondering if there is a light stain of some sort that that enhances contrast. I'm not particularly interested in changing the color scheme. I doubt there is anything out there that simply amplifies contrast any more so than the oil itself. I work on the stock a little every day.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I have heard of some people tinting the oil on the first coat but I have no idea what they used.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Yeah........I have 2 builds in the works right now that haven't been seen or mentioned publicly. Neither include this stock.
I thought that stock looked familiar when I saw it this morning. As for finish I would read noremf's stickies in the stock forum. NOT the 10/22 stock forum but just the stock forum. I think he has a good handle on what to do with a stock like this one.

Last edited by Vincent; 07-31-2014 at 10:26 AM.