Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2004, 04:39 PM
cvarcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First time shooting Colt NF 22/22mag

Today I went to the range with my new unfired 4 3/8" Colt New Frontier 22lr/22mag convertible.I had differant ammo for both cartridges and set up at the 15 yard target with 2" orange dots. I used a bench rest and it seems the gun is shooting several inches high at 12 oclock with the rear sight set all the way down.Does this mean I need to get the factory front blade removed and put a higher front sight on by a gunsmith? The only ammo that was putting most of them in the 2" dot was the CCI CB longs.The magnums were even higher about 2- 2 1/2" higher.As for groups well the remington HV hollowpoints seemed to group 2 1/2" as well as the CB longs.The magnums grouped closer to 2 3/4"-3".I loved the report from the gun and the slight "kick". I dont know how much better I will get at it though .IS this gun really suppose to shoot under 2" at 25 yards??The Colt grip felt great and there were no misfires or "jamming".Id like to try for squirrels next season at 25yards or less but Im haveing my doubts.Also at 15 yards the 2" redot is about the same size as looking at my front sight width,so theres no refinement there for tighter shooting????
Old 02-24-2004, 10:58 AM
41mag
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey CV
Is the front sight the orginal sight? Also make sure nothing is under the rear sight.Check and make sure the barrel isn't bent.
Try a lighter bullet in the magnum.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:05 PM
cvarcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah I shot it some more in the woods...

And it seems I can group around 2-21/2" with the long rifle.I think I need to learn how to shoot though. My friend said its very sensitive to holding vertically and so I actually held groups no wider than 1 .5" but 3-4" up and down most of the time.I tried the winchester supremes which are 33gr mags. and the first shot was a dead bullseye in the oragne dot from about 20 yards.But then the next one was to the right 2 " and a bit high .I took it home and gave it a good cleaning and will start again at real close range to iron out which bullets are giving a better group.I also have a Mernickle conceal holster for this beauty.I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.Did you ever get to measure the chamber diameters?