Takedown SBR - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 PM
jetspeed8
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Takedown SBR

Has anyone tried to SBR a Takedown yet?

I am in the process of doing this with a 6" Bull Barrel and Hogue OM stock. My overall concept is a 6" bull barrel with a suppressor.

Going to be kind of cramped getting the engraving done on the receiver though. Anyone have any thoughts on a place to put the engraving?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 PM
pope_face

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've wanted to do this myself, but we can't cut down our own barrels on this side of the border, and I don't believe anyone makes an aftermarket barrel for the TD (as far as I know).

As for engraving... I know this has come up before in the Tactical subforum, but would underneath the scope mount work? IIRC, you just need to have it easily accessible, and that wouldn't require removing the stock in order to see it. If you've got a quick disconnect mount, or something with thumb screws, then all you need is an allen key or screwdriver to remove the scope mount. Should be out of the way, yet still easily accessible on the off chance you get asked about it.

But, that's just my thoughts... We have different regulations up here, so I don't know if this will apply.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM
bretj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeed8 View Post
Has anyone tried to SBR a Takedown yet?

I am in the process of doing this with a 6" Bull Barrel and Hogue OM stock. My overall concept is a 6" bull barrel with a suppressor.

Going to be kind of cramped getting the engraving done on the receiver though. Anyone have any thoughts on a place to put the engraving?
You do not have to engrave the receiver. It is perfectly legal to engrave the barrel.
http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2010/0...rements-f.html

That is what I am going to do. One SBR barrel, one 1:9 SBR barrel, one standard 16" bull, and of course the standard barrel. Will have to engrave both SBR barrels.

If you ever sell the firearm, you can just put the standard barrel back on and send a letter to the ARF removing it from the registry. Just don't be in possession of the SBR barrels if you ever buy another takedown.......

Last edited by bretj; 07-19-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 03:45 PM
deadeye99
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thompson Machine has just what your looking for. I have the standard length waiting for a stamp and it is tiny at 16". The smaller one would be really small but needs 2 stamps. Hope this helps. Bob

Last edited by deadeye99; 07-22-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:34 PM
ECVmatt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is just about the coolest thing I have seen!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 PM
bretj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two of their suppressors. Top notch stuff. I would love one of their takedown barrels but they go for approx $800. Add the stamp and I would rather just use one of my other cans on an SBR. Not quite as quiet but a dang sight cheaper......
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 AM
jetspeed8
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks like Thompson Machine is one step ahead of me. Now all I have to do is get an extra 10/22 front end.

I used the barrel block, etc. from the first one when I made a bull barrel version.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:35 PM
lazershooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretj View Post
I have two of their suppressors. Top notch stuff. I would love one of their takedown barrels but they go for approx $800. Add the stamp and I would rather just use one of my other cans on an SBR. Not quite as quiet but a dang sight cheaper......

Yup. They are very cool, though.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Top Nurse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a SBR paper that just went pending for my stainless Takedown. It will get the barrel cut down to 13" and threaded 1/2-28. It's designed to utilize an AAC Element 2 suppressor that can also be used on my 22/45 Ruger pistol.

Not a fan of integrally suppressed barrels as I shoot a lot and once the barrel wears out you have to buy another suppressor and put up with all the paperwork again. The two stamp process makes more sense to me as I can send the suppressor in to be repaired if necessary and the barrel can be replaced anytime I want to without any other government involvement.

edit: Forgot to mention that the two stamp process allows me to have both a SBR and a carbine length barrel for better utilization of my weapon system. Ruger will sell these barrels, but you have to call a lot to catch them on a day when they have a few extra.

Last edited by Top Nurse; 07-25-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM
bretj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Nurse View Post
I have a SBR paper that just went pending for my stainless Takedown. It will get the barrel cut down to 13" and threaded 1/2-28. It's designed to utilize an AAC Element 2 suppressor that can also be used on my 22/45 Ruger pistol.

Not a fan of integrally suppressed barrels as I shoot a lot and once the barrel wears out you have to buy another suppressor and put up with all the paperwork again. The two stamp process makes more sense to me as I can send the suppressor in to be repaired if necessary and the barrel can be replaced anytime I want to without any other government involvement.

edit: Forgot to mention that the two stamp process allows me to have both a SBR and a carbine length barrel for better utilization of my weapon system. Ruger will sell these barrels, but you have to call a lot to catch them on a day when they have a few extra.
Have you managed to catch them on a day they had extras?? If so, may I ask how much they wanted? I hate to buy an entire barrel for the parts but ya gotta do what ya gotta do..
Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Top Nurse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It took a lot of calling, but I got a barrel for like $90 IIRC. A local gun shop told me they could make one for me if I get a stock 10/22 barrel as it appears that you would only need a rotary indexing table and a Bridgeport. I'm thinking of getting a heavy barrel blank and having them mill it...

Another option is to send the receiver and stock to them to be fixed. Include a note that you lost the other part. The service department always has extras of everything to do gunsmithing.

Last edited by Top Nurse; 07-26-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:09 PM
bretj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Nurse View Post
It took a lot of calling, but I got a barrel for like $90 IIRC. A local gun shop told me they could make one for me if I get a stock 10/22 barrel as it appears that you would only need a rotary indexing table and a Bridgeport. I'm thinking of getting a heavy barrel blank and having them mill it...

Another option is to send the receiver and stock to them to be fixed. Include a note that you lost the other part. The service department always has extras of everything to do gunsmithing.
I have a buddy that is going to mill a GM barrel for me. I guess I have to get the additional parts required to have another TD barrel. I just need to purchase another TD barrel from ruger to get parts. 90 bucks to get the barrel parts is doable I guess. Just wish they sold the parts seperately.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM
bretj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Contacted the Ruger folks in NH. The person I spoke to stated they do not even have pricing on the barrel assembly and told me she could not sell me the parts. Grrrrrr....
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 PM
wrightravis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just curious why someone would pick a takedown to sbr and suppress vs a non-takedown sbr and suppressed.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:24 PM
10/22man3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightravis View Post
just curious why someone would pick a takedown to sbr and suppress vs a non-takedown sbr and suppressed.
because you can take it down...