Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

James; I put a Wolffe spring in my 39AS Crossbolt/Rebounding. Worked fine for a while but then later I got light strikes.
So I did Gizzy's elimination of the Rebound function by grinding the Rebound prong off of the hammer spring strut. No more light strikes. Also weakened the trigger spring to get that trigger pull down. {{{updated this post May 25}}}

Whether you have the old 39 or the new Rebounding 39, you would be best to follow Gizzy's Trigger Instructions, since he has worked out all the kinks and found J&P springs work well in his 39's.

Last edited by Squirrelbark; 05-25-2016 at 10:00 AM. Reason: to correct my bad advice
Old 04-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cottrell View Post
I have a 39a "wolf" spring on the bench, not installed yet. Anyone have any opinions on the difference? Thanks Jim

Since you have it, use it. I prefer the J&P springs. Just a tad better in my opinion. Better quality springs from these guys. I would not go and buy another unless you just want the J&P. Use that spring you have, and if it works good for you, then leave it in there.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:10 PM
wdl002

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got one on order, just finished doing the mod to get rid of the rebounding hammer, thanks again Gizzy,. I also replaced the extractor with the old style from Wisner. Was getting very heavy firing pin strikes so for the time being I ground about .050 off one end of the existing spring, and along with the stoning and polishing got the trigger down to 2 3/4 lbs. Hopefully will get a chance get it on paper soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by wdl002; 05-05-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 02:05 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdl002 View Post
Got one on order, just finished doing the mod to get rid of the rebounding hammer, thanks again Gizzy,. I also replaced the extractor with the old style from Wisner. Was getting very heavy firing pin strikes so for the time being I ground about .050 off one end of the existing spring, and along with the stoning and polishing got the trigger down to 2 3/4 lbs. Hopefully will get a chance get it on paper soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yep, this sometimes happens when you take the rebounding hammer out of the equation. Kinda good that it did happen, because adding the lighter spring will fix that, plus give you a smoother working lever, and a lighter trigger pull. Glad I could help.

My instructions do mention working on the firing pin, but this was before I tried a lighter hammer spring. Best to not touch the firing pin until all other options have been tried first.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered a Wolf last year from Brownells, they were out of the JP ones at the time. I wish I got the JP one but hey when your basket it full and your wants seem pressing.....

My trigger pull was better but still had some creep to be cleaned up. I also had some fail to fires with light hits. I may have jumped the gun but I put a bevel on the firing pin tip so that the strike hits mainly in line with the case wall on the other side of the rim. I read a bit on that one day and of some wasted E hitting the folded brass with no compound in it. My gun shoots reliably now.

I would like to polish up the surfaces a bit to cut the creep down. Once I do that and put on a merit hunting disc I think I'll be in heaven.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
I ordered a Wolf last year from Brownells, they were out of the JP ones at the time. I wish I got the JP one but hey when your basket it full and your wants seem pressing.....

My trigger pull was better but still had some creep to be cleaned up. I also had some fail to fires with light hits. I may have jumped the gun but I put a bevel on the firing pin tip so that the strike hits mainly in line with the case wall on the other side of the rim. I read a bit on that one day and of some wasted E hitting the folded brass with no compound in it. My gun shoots reliably now.

I would like to polish up the surfaces a bit to cut the creep down. Once I do that and put on a merit hunting disc I think I'll be in heaven.
Sent you a PM on all of this. Also, I order my J&P springs right from J&P. They always have them, or have every time I or others here have needed them. J&P is a tad better in my opinion, but since you already have the Wolff, keep using it. As I put in the PM, you probably are due for a new firing pin.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 AM
sakopete
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
We are the only ones who sell any of our products. They are not available at Brownells and never have been.
Pete
J&P Custom Products,LLC
Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 PM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe I was misremembering and that's all I could find on their site and how I ended up with that one. Sorry for any confusion out there.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:43 PM
fiddlefadel

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Just installed my J&P hammer spring

I'm a little late to this party but ordered two of the hammer springs and received them in a couple of days😀

I installed one in my 1982 Mountie. Took it the range today and had he several FTFs.

Aguila target rifle, 4 FTF in 20 rounds.
CCI STD Velocity 2 FTF in 20 rounds.
Blazer 2 FTF in 20 rounds.

I then refired the rounds that FTF and all but one Aguila fired.

I have never had any FTF in this Mountie.

As of today I'm disappointed! I don't think there is that big a difference with the new spring, an if it doesn't function correctly I'm going back to the stock spring.

Any thoughts?

Dave
Old 05-29-2016, 01:12 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Dave, sounds to me like your firing pin might be a tad short, but if the stock spring works better use it. You can also try adding a small flat washer at the back end of the spring. Pretty much just brings you back to the stock spring though. If that gun has been shot a lot, the firing pin could be worn and just a tad short.

Did you gain anything as far as lighter trigger pull or easier working lever with the new spring?

Also, if you go back to the other springs, I will take the two J&P springs off you so you do not lose your money. I will find use for them.

Also, does your Mountie have the rebounding hammer and cross botl safety? Just asking because it should not in 1982 and want to make sure the year was correct. If ti had the rebounding hammer, then the spring is a waste of time unless you modify the rebounding part. Just want to be sure here.

Last edited by Gizzy; 05-29-2016 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:10 PM
fiddlefadel

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Gizzy, I returned to the range yesterday and fired a little over 100 rounds with only 2 FTF.
Much better than the previous Day. I wouldn't think that the spring would break in.

My Mountie is 18xxxxxx serial number.. no crossover safety or rebound hammer..

Thanks for the offer to buy my springs but I'm going to work with them.

I did not check the trigger pull weight before the spring installation. However I have a Century Ltd new and unfired I checked the pull on it.

The Century was 3#11oz. My Mountie with the J&P spring was 3#10oz.

The action of my Mountie is a little smoother with the new spring but the trigger has always been outstanding.

So, I've been decided to shoot it some more and see how it goes.

I will not be installing the spring in my Century Ltd at this time.

Dave
Old 05-30-2016, 09:49 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Even 1 misfire is too many. If you take the bolt out, the firing pin lays in a slot in the top of the bolt. There is a leg under the firing pin. That part hits the bolt when its struck by the hammer so it does not go too far. You might try taking a couple thousandths off of that leg so the firing pin can travel farther forward. Just be sure to use empties when dry firing.

Do you have any of those that did not fire? Maybe a pic of the firing pin strike?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:53 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Even 1 misfire is too many. If you take the bolt out, the firing pin lays in a slot in the top of the bolt. There is a leg under the firing pin. That part hits the bolt when its struck by the hammer so it does not go too far. You might try taking a couple thousandths off of that leg so the firing pin can travel farther forward. Just be sure to use empties when dry firing.

Do you have any of those that did not fire? Maybe a pic of the firing pin strike?
That's is a great idea and saves having to buy a new one.

What is the accepted length dimension of the 39A firing pin btw?
Old 06-01-2016, 02:30 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
I do not have a brand new one. Mine was built in 1985. I will get it out tomorrow and measure the firing pin protrusion. I feel just from looking at mine, which was bought used, that it has not been shot much, so this should give a close measurement.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:54 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Tried measuring the firing pin protrusion and cannot get it. Its too tight in there for a caliper to work. From the looks of mine, it could be a tad longer.