52 Bolt Disassembly tool - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:17 PM
btbell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I recently had to disassemble a 52C bolt because the cap end of the firing pin (not the cap screw, but the entire end) was rotated 90 degrees from where it should have been.

I saw the discussion above, and I've seen a few references to commercial Winchester 52 Bolt Disassembly tools on Ebay and elsewhere. However, I couldn't find any such tool available, so I made one using a Dremel grinding tool and a cheap screwdriver. It does seem that somewhere, somehow, there should be an easily and cheaply available piece of steel that will do this job, and save non-machinists like me a lot of aggravation!

For the spacer to expose the firing pin spring retaining pin, I found that a 3/8" outside diameter hex nut worked just fine.

When reassembling with the modified screwdriver tool, I found that putting a piece of black tape on the tool to mark the required depth worked well.

While I was able, with some difficulty, to do this without a vise, I subsequently saw on another site where someone used a long clamp to compress the screwdriver tool, and hence the spring, to the proper point:
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?57547-Win-52C-bolt

And finally I found the following Youtube video for taking apart a Model 52A bolt, which also looks applicable to other Model 52's. This guy also uses a "modified screwdriver" tool, but it seems possible that if you use good technique with your 3/32" punch, you may just need a Phillips (or appropriately narrow flathead) screwdriver to compress the spring just enough to insert the punch, and then use the punch to keep the spring compressed until you've driven in the retaining pin.

Winchester Model 52A Firing Pin Spring Replacement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNqU6cF_rWU