Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:11 PM
p5200
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I don't have antelope in my location but if I did I would use my Tikka t3 Lite in 25-06 with my Sierra GameKing hand loads. I've never owned a .243 but have had a couple .270's.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM
ballistx
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
which do you shoot the best

Hands down, the choice between those two (270vs243) should be which one you actually shoot the best under actual hunting conditions. All of my antelope (probably 30 or 40) have been shot with either the 30-06 or 243. I find either one totally adequate on antelope (pronghorn) out to 600 yards. I know I will get heat on that but that has been my actual experiences.

Typically, in Wyoming you will be able to go prone for any longer shots. I would get a GOOD bipod that will go to at least 13" long and make my shots on those, in prone position to check the groups. It isn't going to be which caliber will kill the best, but which gun you can hit where you want to with.

I have found the lighter recoil of the 243 gives me an edge over the 30-06 (or 270) in less than ideal field positions. Can't always get a pad down, get the right angle and get the right seating into the shoulder. Have to do with make shift positions and less then ideal shouldering.

As long as you are certain that the one you choose is the best one for you on that hunt, then you have made the right choice!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 PM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks ballistx. I guess my final concern is wind. Is there THAT much of a difference between the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Roadguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you are going on a guided hunt...

You may want to do some research on the company. Having been born and raised in Wyoming I can tell you that you don't absolutely "need" 300 yard capability for pronghorn. I have been less than 100 yards from both males and females during hunting season on several occasions. The wind will most certainly be a factor and probably a big factor. Having said that, long range shots to 300 yards or more are not uncommon. Just saying that if you are being told that range capability is necessary there may be some issues...
Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM
ballistx
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
windage

At 300 yards with a 10mph crosswind you are probably looking at about .5" more drift for the 243. That is with 6" of drift. Again, not really a hair's breadth to be concerned about.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:52 PM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadguy View Post
You may want to do some research on the company. Having been born and raised in Wyoming I can tell you that you don't absolutely "need" 300 yard capability for pronghorn. I have been less than 100 yards from both males and females during hunting season on several occasions. The wind will most certainly be a factor and probably a big factor. Having said that, long range shots to 300 yards or more are not uncommon. Just saying that if you are being told that range capability is necessary there may be some issues...
That might be the major consideration. I assume we'll split up as there are 4 of us. Can't see the 4 of us trying to get in range of animals. I'm planning on getting some "hunting" in.

Thanks again ballistx, on the wind drift question.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 AM
STBE Harris

Now Central Texas who turned on the heat?
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I grew up in New Mexico and we saw antelope almost everyday we were out in the boonies. We hunted them and they were around us when we were working.
The wind blows alot there too like it does in Wyoming. I hunt whitetails nowdays with a 243 so I have hunted with both calibers. Like has been stated you may get a shot 100 yds or 400 yds. Personnaly I would shoot the heaviest bullet just to make sure. There is not that much difference between 243 and 270 in balistics at 400 yards and less except the 270 has a bigger diameter heavier bullet you may wish you had that if you get a long shot or have to take a long shot for some reason or the wind is really kicking up. They seem not to be as tough as whitetail or mulies we hunted. Seems like the ones that know are tending toward the 270 also. JMHO STBE
Old 07-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Yank N Crank 2

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Send a message via AIM to Yank N Crank 2
In our circle... The .270 and the .25-06 are popular Lope rifles.. My father has used a .270 winchester, but his preferred rifle is a Weatherby Mark V in .257 Weatherby Magnum ... A few years ago he killed one stone dead outside of Sweetwater Station Wyoming at 427 yards with one shot...
Old 07-15-2011, 01:19 AM
madjack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
You guys do know we don't have (antelope) in the U.S. right. They are pronghorn, antelope are a differant species most common in Africa.
...just to be specific...from wikipedia......................................... ............................
Quote:
Antelope is a term referring to many even-toed ungulate species found all over the world in places such as Africa, Asia, and North America. The term refers to a ‘miscellaneous’ group within the family encompassing the old-world species which are not cattle, sheep, buffalo, bison, or goats. In some countries they are referred to as a "Gemma". A group of antelope is called a herd.[1]

The Pronghorn of North America, though sometimes known colloquially as Pronghorn Antelope, is not a member of the family Bovidae, but the family Antilocapridae and not a true antelope. No antelope species are native to the Americas. True antelope have horns which are unbranched and never shed, while Pronghorns have branching horns, and shed annually.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM
BrainOnSigs

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Last October....4 of us together....3 shooters....all together......3 bucks...8 minutes. The year before....3 of us...2 shooters.......2 bucks in 30 minutes.

All shots under 300 yards for as long as I can remember...even for the guys who had been hunting the area for many years before I joined them.

It hasn't been that hard with a little homework......see where they are bedding down,etc.....

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=360201
Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice.

It was pretty easy last year for the guys I'll be with too. Looking forward to it.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 PM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's my decision:

Since my 243 is an "UltraLight" model with a lightweight (slim) 20" barrel it's not the best for long range. If I can get to the 200yrd range I'll see what kind of groups she'll hold there. If they look really good, I'll feel comfortable shooting 250 or so.

If not, and considering the company I'll be with, I'll likely opt for the 270.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM
2fewdaysafield
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Good decision trutta! Either gun will kill pronghorn for you. The one that will do it best will be the one you can shoot best from realistic hunting positions.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 AM
k3yston3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take the one that you shoot better. Pronghorn are not hard to kill and the .243 has long enough legs to get you to 300 yards. Sure, the .270 will shoot a bit flatter but you will not be undergunned if the .243 is what you take.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Yote59

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trutta View Post
i have two rifles and would rather bring only one for a WY antelope hunt.
Which would you choose?:

20" barreled Ruger M77 .243Win/ 95gr SST

22" barreled Tikka T3 .270Win/130gr SST

I'm leaning toward the 243 but will be hunting with some guys that claim I NEED 300yards range. I think I can get closer, but this is my first 'lope hunt. What advice do you have?
I have owned both the .243 and the .270. Both are excellent calibers. I have taken whitetails with both with no problems. The .243 will shoot flatter....the .270 out to 300 yards will have more knock down energy....after that... the .243 will hold it's own. IF I had the choice....for lopes....I would use the .270.....IMO.