Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 PM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
'Lope Rifle

i have two rifles and would rather bring only one for a WY antelope hunt.
Which would you choose?:

20" barreled Ruger M77 .243Win/ 95gr SST

22" barreled Tikka T3 .270Win/130gr SST

I'm leaning toward the 243 but will be hunting with some guys that claim I NEED 300yards range. I think I can get closer, but this is my first 'lope hunt. What advice do you have?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I bought a rifle specifically for pronghorn. Could have bought anything I wanted. After much research and Q&A with the experiened hands here, I selected the .243 with a 95 grain bullet. That will give you the 300 yards you want.

The .270 will certainly work, too, but my choice would be the .243.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=371249

http://www.chuckhawks.com/antelope_cartridges.htm
Old 07-13-2011, 10:35 AM
2fewdaysafield
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
With all due respect to Sophia....

Last year was my first Antelope hunt in Wyoming. I carried my CZ 550 FS 30-06.

The buddy I went with who has been hunting the same ranch for many years and whose "retirement job" is building custom centerfire rifles for serious competitors told me in no uncertain terms that when I came back this year I should have a "proper antelope rifle". His suggestion Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5 x 55 (if I could find one) and if I couldn't find one in 6.5 x 55 then to go with a .270.

So my vote is for your Tikka .270.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Either will work well. Take the one you feel most comfortable with for your 300 yard shot. Antelope aren't very hard to take down and either caliber will do the job just fine.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 AM
nemohunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
whichever rifle YOU can shoot best is gonna be the one. i'm not talking bench. take it out shoot from cross sticks or a pack at 300 and see what your rifles tell you. Either is capable my personal nod would be the .270 simply because of bullet weight but is the .243 was all i had i sure would not stay home.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Good advice from all -- I would probably take the Tikka in 270, but the .243 will do the job, no question.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:38 PM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all.

The first two posts had me chuckling. Just my dilemma.

I thought I had it solved. I get 1"groups with Hornady Superperformance 95gr SSTs, running at a chrono'd 2770fps (20" barrel and..don't believe everything you read from the marketers). This should give me a solid 250yrd 'lope rifle. But the guys I'll be with suggested the 270 for two reasons:

-I can expect 300+yrd shots. Now, these guys are "shooters" more than hunters by their own admission. (Back home, these guys shoot a 50BMG for deer and like to back up rather than close in). I'm a hunter and, from what I've read, I should be able to close gaps on antelope to 250 or less. Yes??

-Wind is a possible issue. How much difference is there between the two?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trutta View Post
Thanks all.

The first two posts had me chuckling. Just my dilemma.
Yeah, ask two people and get three opinions, each different to the other.

Quote:
Now, these guys are "shooters" more than hunters by their own admission. (Back home, these guys shoot a 50BMG for deer and like to back up rather than close in).
Yeah, in my experience there are two "loud" camps in the caliber debate. One thinks anything that has "magnum" in the name might just barely be enough gun. The other camp thinks anything larger than a .22LR is overkill. The rest are the quiet ones in the middle.

Quote:
-Wind is a possible issue. How much difference is there between the two?
Run the numbers here:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

If you find your bullet in the pull down library, select it there and the calculator will ignore the details in the other bullet-related input blocks. I set target speed to 0 just to get rid of some of the clutter in the output.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 PM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Sophia.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 AM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The 243 will certainly work. However, I don't see anything that the 270 wouldn't do better. It shoots slightly flatter and hits a lot harder. Unless you have some sort of physical disability that precludes the recoil of a 130 grain 270, there's no advantage to the 243.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
2fewdaysafield
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Unless you are a serious long range shooter, Antelope hunting is a "spot and stalk" game. Glass a lot of animals, spot one you feel has good headgear and then try to get within shooting range. If you know how to use the available terrain (gullys, washes, hills etc) you can certainly get within 250 yards. I took my first Antelope in Wyoming last year and the shot was at 218 yards.The guy I hunted with had told me to expect shots in the 200-250 range but I should try to know my rifle well enough to consider shots out to 400. As it turned out, I set 300 as my max.

Choose the rifle you shoot best and do some range work with the bullets you will actually use on your hunt. Try to find a range where you can shoot out to 400. Ballistics tables are great, but when it comes to shooting game, there is no substitute for knowing from experience what your chosen rifle will actually do at a given range. As mentioned earlier, Antelope are not particularly tough to kill. A marginal shot that would leave a whitetail running will often put an Antelope down. I would prefer the .270, but the .243 is plenty of gun if you can consistently put all your bullets in an 8" circle FROM HUNTING POSITIONS (not from a bench).

The thing that will give you FITS in Wyoming is the wind. The other tough part is will be avoiding being seen by 6-12 pairs of eyeballs. If you can find a lone buck with headgear you want, it shouldn't be too hard to take him. The rut will be on and his mind will be on does. Trying to kill a "herd buck" with 6-10 does around him is going to be tough. Those does are ALWAYS WATCHING!

In summary...Pick the rifle you are most confident shooting. Get out and practice at various distances when the wind is blowing. Do your practice from actual hunting positions...seated, prone, kneeling. If you can consistently put 5 of 5 rounds in an 8 inch pie plate then you can take a shot at that range.

Oh....And in case you don't already have one, a range finder would be a good thing to get.

Enjoy your hunt.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fewdaysafield View Post
The other tough part is will be avoiding being seen by 6-12 pairs of eyeballs. .
I found this little tidbit interesting:

Quote:
Antelope have exceptional eyesight, often compared to high-powered binoculars....
http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/game_antelope.shtml
Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all.

I have a rangefinder, bipod, and two doe tags. Should be fun.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 PM
2fewdaysafield
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I found this little tidbit interesting:
Sophia....A lone buck or doe will not be all that tough to shoot. Trying to shoot a buck who is with several does is TOUGH! Those does don't miss a thing. My buddy who I hunt antelope with says that filling a doe tag is often much harder than filling a buck tag.

The buck I shot last year was just under 14", but one of his "prongs" was broken and the tip of one horn was broken off. He had lost a few fights and had no does with him and was wandering the countryside with only one thought on his mind. Trying to kill a buck who already has a harem of 4 or more watchful does with him is a whole 'nother deal.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 PM
casper

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You guys do know we don't have (antelope) in the U.S. right. They are pronghorn, antelope are a differant species most common in Africa.