Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM
shakey
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
R F C links to Winchester Info

I know, this subject has been darn near beat to death, but it's a good topic since it's a tricky procedure. Actually takes two tools, one is available on ebay or easy to make out of an old screwdriver.

I bought the ebay tool but in all the threads I could find there were lots of verbal descriptions of the second tool but never saw a picture of it. Turns out it's the magic little device that holds the bolt in the extended position so the retaining pin could be driven out. Hopefully this will clear up for someone else the confusion that I experienced, so without further ado, here's my version:

The bolt ready to go, and the 'magic tool', simply made from a 3/8" long piece of 5/8" copper tubing formed into a 'U' shape with a little notch.

Easy to use, after removing the dust cover screw, fasten the bolt in the vice with the bottom of the bolt downward. That positions the firing pin spring retaining pin vertically.
After pulling back the bolt with the bolt handle, just slip the 'tool' over the bolt to hold it open.

With the ebay tool, push in the firing pin spring to remove tension on the retaining pin, and while holding it in (my tummy with a piece of cardboard for padding worked OK), drive the pin out the bottom of the bolt.

After all this the firing pin and fp spring are free to remove from the back of the bolt. Reverse the procedure to reassemble. One hint: this is a two handed job so put a bucket on the floor under the bolt to catch the pin when it is driven out, saves searching for the lost pin!

Enjoy!

Dale
Old 12-31-2010, 01:16 PM
MauleN12VR
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pad location

I found this diagram showing the pad location...

Last edited by MauleN12VR; 06-07-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 AM
bullgun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
R F C links to Winchester Info

Kix; you're in for another fun ride if you start collecting these (maybe "accumulating") is a more accurate term.
Six (6) different versions of this 2nd generation (or "repro" as some call them) 52 sporter were produced depending on how you define it.
By my count, they are as follows;
1)st version was the Ltd. production marked "Browning", already in production the year "Winchester" was purchased by the owners' of Browning, thus setting the stage for the next production run with "Winchester" stamps. This Browning is a 52 C wearing the high-combed C stock.
2)nd version "Winchester"; this was introduced as a limited edition with total numbers of production unclear. This is a C sporter but wearing the more conservative, lower-combed "B" stock.
3)rd version "Winchester" stamped "Utah Centennial"; this is a special run of the above listed Winchester 52 but with rollmarks honoring the State of Utah's Centennial. Otherwise identical to the remainder of the Winchester 52 C production run.
4)th version the super-rare "Fajen"-stocked Winchester 52 C sporter, wearing the racy, fiddle-back maple stock. This was produced in extremely low numbers (less than 50 total?) for the S.H.O.T. show, along with a series of 4 similarly-stocked other Winchester rifles. So there was a set of 5 Winchesters all wearing the same semi-custom Fajen stock, with this M 52 being one of the set of 5. The serial numbers were all the same within the set. Finding, and acquiring one of these Fajen rifles without buying the set of 5 Winchesters is nearly impossible and is a $$ venture.
5)th version is limited to 250 rifles (at the most) commissioned by Zander's Sporting Goods from the regular production run of the Winchester 52 Cs. This Zander's rifle has a heavier, tapered barrel than the standard sporter. The muzzle is counter-bored and the receiver is grooved for dovetailed scope mounts. This is a high-gloss stock in the same configuration that the regular run of Winchester 52 C sporters wore.
6)th is the same as above, 250 rifles (at the most) but wearing a satin finished stock.
This completes all the versions of the second generation or "reproduction" 52 C sporters produced. There were actually two separate runs of the "Ltd." production Winchester 52 C but they are identical in appearance, distinguishable only by serial numbers, I believe.
I owned an original C sporter but wouldn't carry it into the squirrel woods. It was pristine. So I had the C lt. target rifle wearing a custom American black walnut stock "sporterized" and carried it into the squirrel woods for decades. This rifle is visible in another thread on this board.
But, had ANY of the above sporters been available "back in the day" I would have bought and carried one of them into the woods without hesitation. And my custom 52 I had sporterized wouldn't exist (by the way, the rifle was already a "chopped" rifle when I first acquired it).
So Kix, have fun, there are the above six (6) reproductions out there to be tracked down and had (for a price). Incidentally, each of these rifles have the version designated in some way on the box, naming which rifle it is. In some cases it is only an adhesive bar code type label with the version also named in print.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
jGEE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rfc links to winchester unfo

Click below for important links to win 52 info
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM
bullgun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Exclamation There are 6 versions NO, make that 7 of the 2nd generation 52 sporter

Six (6) different versions (depending on how you define it) of this 2nd generation (or "repro" as some call them) 52 sporter were produced.
By my count, they are as follows;
1)st version was the Ltd. production marked "Browning", already in production the year "Winchester" was purchased by the owners' of Browning, thus setting the stage for the next production run with "Winchester" stamps. This Browning is a 52 C wearing the high-combed C stock in a high gloss finish. The run was limited to a total of 5000 rifles but it is questionable how many of those were actually produced.
2)nd version "Winchester"; this was introduced as a limited production run with the actual total numbers of production unclear. This is a C sporter but wearing the more conservative, satin-finished, lower-combed "B" stock.
3)rd version "Winchester" stamped "Utah Centennial"; this is a special run within the above listed Winchester 52 but with additional rollmarks honoring the State of Utah's Centennial washed in gold. Otherwise identical to the remainder of the Winchester 52 C production run.
4)th version the super-rare "Fajen"-stocked Winchester 52 C sporter, wearing the racy, fiddle-back maple stock. This was produced in extremely low numbers (less than 50 total?) as a S.H.O.T. show promotion, along with a series of 4 similarly-stocked other Winchester rifles. So there was a set of 5 Winchesters all wearing the same semi-custom Fajen stock, with this M 52 being one of the set of 5. The serial numbers were all the same within the set. Finding, and acquiring one of these Fajen rifles without buying the set of 5 Winchesters is nearly impossible and is a $$ venture. It is rumored only 38 sets were actually sold.
5)th version is limited to 250 rifles (at the most) commissioned by Zander's Sporting Goods from the regular production run of the Winchester 52 C. This Zander's rifle has a heavier, tapered barrel than the standard sporter. The muzzle is counter-bored and the receiver is grooved for dovetailed scope mounts. This is a high-gloss stock in the same configuration that the regular run of Winchester 52 C sporters wore.
6)th is the same as above, 250 rifles (at the most) but wearing a satin finished stock.
I believe this completes all the versions of the second generation or "reproduction" 52 C sporters produced. There were actually two separate runs of the "Ltd." production Winchester 52 C but they are identical in appearance, distinguishable only by serial numbers, I believe.
Incidentally, each of these rifles have the version designated in some location printed on their box, naming which rifle it is. In some cases it is only an adhesive bar code type label with the version also named in print.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

BG,

This is a nice accounting but I'd like to add a couple points.
Your number "2" is not a "C" sporter, its a "B". True the mechanics is of "C" design (trigger) but the stock is of "B" design and assembly (Forearm screw). Winchester also named this a "B" if not mistaken and it sure avoids confusion.
Yes, there were two separate runs of the "B", not "C" style and if not mistaken the last run differed from the first in that the forearm screw was eliminated. So essentially there were two styles of the "B" run that differed.

bjm
Old 01-12-2011, 05:28 PM
bullgun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hi Brian;
You are sure correct that the Winchester-stamped rifles were called "B" sporters by the factory, a marketing tactic and a nod to the legal department to avoid any cries of "foul" by the purchasers of the previous "Limited Edition" C rifles.
But since mechanically all 6 of the described rifles have the same C trigger, action and other mechanics which defined the original C and exhibit only stock changes I consider them all C sporters, regardless of the marketing.
My objective here was really to outline all the 2nd generation variants which came out under various stocks and rollmarks. But yes, Browning/Winchester/Miroku/Fabrique Nationale had various names for these fine sporters.
So while these variants differ in stock design and rollmarks, they all retain the C mechanics and remain a "C" in my book. Others may view it differently.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 AM
blacktailslayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Browning 52

I have one thing to add. The original Browning run of 5000 had some stocks with the satin finish. I have one that is NIB.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktailslayer View Post
I have one thing to add. The original Browning run of 5000 had some stocks with the satin finish. I have one that is NIB.
This is the first mention I have seen of a satin-finished Browning; is this the seventh variation?

From what I have read there were 6000 Brownings made in 1992, 5000 Winchesters in 1993 and 3000 more Winchesters in 1997 for a total of 14000.
That's what, probably 2 or 3 times as many copies as there were original Sporters?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
kixonrt66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Satin Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dub View Post
This is the first mention I have seen of a satin-finished Browning; is this the seventh variation?

From what I have read there were 6000 Brownings made in 1992, 5000 Winchesters in 1993 and 3000 more Winchesters in 1997 for a total of 14000.
That's what, probably 2 or 3 times as many copies as there were original Sporters?
My Browning marked 52 repro has a satin finish. I thought they all did...go figure?
14000 huh? I wasn't too far off. Even though this figure may far exceed the number of original 52 sporters, it's still a relatively low number compared to the numbers made of other 1990's era rifles as well as some earlier rifles.

Kix
Old 01-13-2011, 01:48 PM
bullgun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
satin v. gloss finish Browning 52 sporter??

Well now, this is an interesting development. I know only of gloss-finished Browning-stamped rifles. The Brownings were the first of the 2nd gen 52 rifles and were hyped quite a bit before being released. There was quite a built-up demand from the shooting and collecting public for these as there were only going to be 5000 ever produced, thus the "Limited" production designation. Many were snatched up by collectors and closeted for that very purpose.
These sold so successfully however that FN, having just acquired the Winchester name got around the "5000 ever produced" and "Ltd. Edition" marketing by taking the same C sporter and putting a "B" stock and name on it. They then released a "Ltd." run of the Winchesters, no more than 6000 ever to be produced. Industry rumbles are that the 6k production run was never accomplished, the demand having fallen off before that number of rifles were made. However, the Winchester-stamped rifle was put into production a 2nd time as has been mentioned in this thread. I don't recall ever hearing a firm number for this second run of the Winchesters but I have heard the 3000 figure repeated several times. That may well be correct. I dunno.
But, NEVER have I seen or read anything about a satin-finished version of the initial offering of Ltd. Edition Browning-stamped rifles. It makes me wonder if these were the tail end of the production run of Brownings, just before transitioning to the satin-finished, B-stocked Winchester-stamped rifles.
DANG it! Now it looks like there is a 7th version (satin-finished Browning). If so, I will need to go on another buying safari to fill out my collection of these 2nd generation rifles.
Say there, blacktailslayer, we should talk........
Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Browning that I purchased new in 1992 has the Satin Finished Wood Serial # is less than 100
Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM
dmccorki

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
This Browning 52 on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=211021235

appears to be a satin finish, at least compared to the gloss finish on the Browing 1885s produced around the same time

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=211140565

All of the Browning 52s I have seen have the satin finish, so maybe the high gloss is more rare.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doubs43 shows the heavy and pencil barrels side-by-side on page 2 of this thread:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...+barrel&page=2

The Fajen-stocked version here:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ighlight=fajen

Sticky Time?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM
kixonrt66

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My Early Browning marked 52 Repro

Here are some images of my Browning marked 52 repro with satin finished wood:

Here is my fiddleback "Stradivarius" Winchester USRAC marked version with what appears to be the same finish:

I wonder what kind of finish the one I just bought has???

Kix