Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:03 PM
notarex
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Looks good! What did you do for the gas tube?
Old 12-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Lineman60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
M-14 airsoft

I used an Airsoft gas tube from Tokyo Marui. Got it from e-bay. I got the idea from one of the thread I read on RFC, got the motivation from HR218 seeing his SOCOM. Had to do a lot of modifcation ,a lot cutting and filing to make it look right.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lineman....thanks for the pointer. I have been lamenting over this mod, trying to find the right barrel clamp/strut to use. But yours looks A+! I'll have to look into that. I just ordered the tech sights and buttplate. they will keep me occupied while I figure out the strut.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Lineman60

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Larger pic

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's what I have, birch stock camo painted using a home made template, clear coated with a automotive matte clear, steel buttplate, UTG quad rail with enough cut off for the the Tech rear sight to fit, redbird flash supressor, quick detach scope rings, Burris scout scope, extended mag release, trigger rebuilt using Power Customs adjustable sear and hammer combo, Power Customs competition bolt, airsoft Tokyo Marui faux gas tube, reciever and barrel Dura coated HK satin black. A fun gun to shoot!
Old 12-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's exactly what I'm looking for....Lineman, you mentioned modifying the faux gas tube quite a bit, what was involved? I'm looking at the same item on ebay, and just wanna get the rundown before I'm in too deep! Happy holidays all!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Lineman60

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It took me a couple of days work. I started by marking the top of the barrel from the rear sight to the front sight with a white grease pencilfor a reference point later.Then cut off the front sight off the barrel right behind the barrel band and set it aside because you will use this again. Square and recut the muzzle, take a measurement of the barrel at this point. Drill out the piece of barrel that you had cut to as close to the measurement that you have taken eariler. Test fit the band till the fit is close enugh to slide on but don't put it on just yet. Take the faux gas tube cut off the tube just behind the shield and set aside. Remove shield set aside. Grind off tube that will go on barrel till there is about 1/16" left so shield will still be able to catch in it. ake the shield and grind the flange behind the front face till it almost all gone. take some measurements at the point where the tube will sit on the barrel because we are fixing to drill out the the part of the tube that fits over the barrel. Use plenty padding in the vise you don't want to crush or scar up the tube and have to start over. Drill out the top of the tube to fit over the barrel, [one note there is hole in the bottom of the gas tube with a set screw, take this out for now]. Ream the tube out til it will fit over the barrel with no resistance. Put the shield on the barrel then the gas tube and square it upwith the quad rail. Put the set screw on a hex wrench and insertto mark a spot on the barrel. pull tube and barrel forward and with a small drill bit dril a dimple on the barrel for the set screw. Replace shield and tube tighten set screw, check everything for straightness. Alright back to the barrel band. Use some masking tape far enough back on barrel that band will fit, then with some 240 or 320 grit paper take the bluing off barrel. Flux the bare spot, put the band on , align the band with the mark that made when we started, check and check,then check again make everything is straight with the sight band. Solder band on with a soft solder, when cool clean up around band and cold blue to touch up. Put the Tech front sight with the sight pusher and check with back sight. Ok we're almost home. I used a Redbird flash suppressor off e-bay. Put it on and tighten set screw. Oops I almost forgot the gas adjustment under the barrel, the piece that cut off behind the shield you will need about 3/4" sticking out, so drill just deep enough to fit and epoxy into place, Then use a 5/16" bolt round off the head, cut off enough of the threads to go into the the little tube and epoxy into place. Then paint, dura coat or whatever to make it all match. I hope I covered it all if not I'll try to cover what I missed.
Aaron
Old 12-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Lineman60

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
[IMG][/IMG]
this is the picture I refered to quite often while building my "M-14" SOCOM.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:26 AM
torchedthat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineman60 View Post
[IMG]

Here's what I have, birch stock camo painted using a home made template, clear coated with a automotive matte clear, steel buttplate, UTG quad rail with enough cut off for the the Tech rear sight to fit, redbird flash supressor, quick detach scope rings, Burris scout scope, extended mag release, trigger rebuilt using Power Customs adjustable sear and hammer combo, Power Customs competition bolt, airsoft Tokyo Marui faux gas tube, reciever and barrel Dura coated HK satin black. A fun gun to shoot!

wow! impressive!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That IS impressive. I may be over thinking it, but that seems like a little more work than I had planned. I have been doing some more research, and though it may not look quite as authentic, I was thinking of using some TacStar barrel clamps with a thin flashlight as a mock gas tube. I thought it would be a little of both function and fashion, leaning towards the function end of it (which is better IMO). The downside to this is that for one, I will rarely use the rifle at night, and two, I will then probably have to get a pressure pad for the light, and I was originally trying to keep this build as clean as possible (i.e., not a a lot of unnecessary "junk" hanging off the rifle).

Another idea I had was to try one of the Accu-strut SOCOM built for the mini 14. http://www.accustrut.com/pages/gallery_01.htm
The difference between my Mini's barrel diameter and my 10/22's is only a few hundreths of an inch. To me this is my best, yet priciest option for the gas tube mod.

Don't get me wrong, the Marui tube looks incredible, just seems a little over my head for installation. Any suggestions? The saga continues......
Old 12-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Mac12782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcifier666 View Post
Don't get me wrong, the Marui tube looks incredible, just seems a little over my head for installation. Any suggestions? The saga continues......
I agree. The Mauri tube looks perfect but I'm trying something a little easier(hopefully). I just finished up fitting the M14 buttplate to mine and that was fairly time consuming so I need a break lol.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Lineman60

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Hey!!

Crow,
I like the accustrut, if I had seen this I might had gone this way instead. I always liked the challenge and the end results. For someone that doesn't have the tools or the skills, I love this. This for sure will wind up on my mini 14. Looks too good to pass up!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks like I may be going for the accustrut. Just seems the easiest and best solution....pricey though!

Mac, I've got my tech sights and butt plate coming in the mail this week. Did you make a compartment for the trapdoor? I'd like to put a compartment in mine, but I'm a little leery of splitting the stock. I was thinking of drilling it out and smoothing with a chisel. I had a pretty big bit
(7/16) picked out for it, but I'm starting to think a smaller one would reduce the chance of splittin it.

I searched for homemade trapdoors, etc. for a few minutes but found nothing. Has anyone here made there own? Am I over thinking this?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Mac12782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, my stock isnt hollowed out for the trap door. I thought about it but figured i'd prolly never use it. I'll try to post up some updated pix tonight of the finished buttplate, FULL quad rail, M14 flash hider, and faux M14 mags.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Crowcifier666

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just got the butt plate, and I'm seeing what you mean by needing a rest after fitting it, and mine has the flat end! My compact stock is just shy height and width-wise for it to fit clean with the edges. Probably going to take this as an opportunity to extend my length of pull, and extend the butt with a birch or walnut spacer (1" maybe 1.5").

But it looks like I'll have to take my time with it, unless I wanna screw it up. Interested in seeing the photos, if you get a chance, looks like that hinge inletting at the top could get tricky.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Mac12782

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowcifier666 View Post
Just got the butt plate, and I'm seeing what you mean by needing a rest after fitting it, and mine has the flat end! My compact stock is just shy height and width-wise for it to fit clean with the edges. Probably going to take this as an opportunity to extend my length of pull, and extend the butt with a birch or walnut spacer (1" maybe 1.5").

But it looks like I'll have to take my time with it, unless I wanna screw it up. Interested in seeing the photos, if you get a chance, looks like that hinge inletting at the top could get tricky.
Mine took me a few days working about 2-4 hours per day with BASIC tools. I ended up adding about a .75 piece of wood onto the butt so that I'd have a flat surface to start with and also extend the LOP since I have ape arms and the factory length seems a little short. Mine isnt 100% finished up but here it is so far... (I also started a build thread of sorts with a few other pics)