Shot my Whitney Wolverine - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 PM
ThePeaceKeeper
US Coast Guard Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot my Whitney Wolverine

I took my old Whitney Wolverine out to the range the other day.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
you shouldn`t have to put up with that !!!!

wanna sell it to me ??
Old 10-13-2010, 06:24 PM
wayne38
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Mine sure doesn't act like that. Of course, I use CCI sv in all my .22 pistols.

Wayne38
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 08:00 AM
P7Aholic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own several of these old Wolverines and have found that all of the FTF's, FTE's are due to magazine problems or ammo or a dirty unlubed gun. I find CCI 0030 to work the best. As far as the magazine problems, it either locks in too deep or not deep enough. Once you find the sweet spot, it will end up at the range w/ most every trip.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Mattkc
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I could kick myself, back in the 80's a friend offered to sale me one for $50 and I passed. The only reason I didn't get it was due to it being out of production and I was afraid I couldn't get parts. I loved the way that gun shot it had a great feel and pointed great. A few years later I found out they were a collectors item, I've been tempted to buy the repo but have read to many negative reports.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 AM
OcelotZ3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one of the repos and it appears the the problems with mine were mag related.

It would FTF every couple of rounds. When hand cycling aluminum ammo, the mag from my original WW would work just fine with the new pistol.

I played with the mag lips after observing rounds coming out, and now the new mag works with the new gun with practice ammo. Still have to take it to the range again though...

Love my original WW!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 PM
adarakjian

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Olympic Arms Whitney Wolverine

I recently became aware of the Olympic Arms Whitney Wolverine. Has anyone had the opportunity to shoot this semi-automatic pistol and report the results of their experience?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 PM
JBLee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have one...it shoots like a champ.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:52 PM
JudgeColt
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The one I have is totally reliable. I suspect a magazine problem with the one in the video. Like all rimfire automatics, the magazine is critical. Most feed problems can be corrected by adjusting the feed lips on the magazine.

It seems more than coincidental that the "prediction" that the gun was going to malfunction the first time this shooter ever shot it, came true. I suspect the shooter had tired it and knew it would malfunction so created the video to appear prophetic.

These guns actually sold fairly well when they were introduced in 1955. (The always unreliable "Blue Book" states that about 13,000 were made.) They were on every magazine cover when they were introduced. Their very modern appearance went well in the 1950s. The design is very clever.

As a teenager into guns when they came out, I wanted one because of their "ray gun" appearance (but bought a Ruger Mark I 5.25-inch instead, which was a wise choice since small number 5.25-inch Mark I Rugers with their original box and papers are quite valuable today ) so when a near mint one in its original box appeared in the early 1970s, I bought it and have enjoyed shooting it several times a year ever since.

It is too bad that Olympic did not duplicate the original gun when it brought its sort-of clone to market. The new magazines are rough compared to the original Whitney magazines. I had hoped to have a source for new magazines, but the Olympic magazines do not duplicate the original Whitney magazines.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:04 AM
kBob
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is a regular at local shows that has an original in very nice shape that he has marked for $700 firm. His comments about one feature have me concerned however.

I have seen a couple of Whitneys that were dryfired with out the bolt/barrel unit in place. One had a nasty hump with small tears around it and the other had a hole where a piece about the size of the cross section of the hammer took off to parts unknown. His pistol features a neatly done little square cut out right where that damage would occur. He isnsits this is an original feature and I guess it might have been added to late guns based on experiences with customers complaining about chipping their own pistol.

Anyone heard or seen such a notch they can say for certain was factory original?

A local shop has an uglyWhitney with the top of the left grip missing and showing internals that they dream of getting $550 for.

Are these things bringing that sort of cash outside the south east?

For me the gripe shap is just a bit extreme and I do not get full support. DO like the Duck Dodgers in the 23rd and 1/2 century look though.

-kBob
Old 11-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got a black one, my wifey will be getting her Pink one soon...

I can't think of a pistol I've not had to tweak the feed lips a bit at one time or another...
except a Calico.

To me, it's just part of the "Making a gun perfect" equation...and expected.
If a gun worked perfectly out of the box, I'd probably get bored.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:22 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kBob View Post
A local shop has an uglyWhitney with the top of the left grip missing and showing internals that they dream of getting $550 for.

Are these things bringing that sort of cash outside the south east?

-kBob
Overpriced unless it's a chrome one

Now the chrome one are really Buck Rogers guns. I wish they'd chrome the new ones, too.