Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM
tnridgerunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Exclamation Maybe another shim ?????

"It won't release until a 6" drop now. "

Dustin IMHO, I wouldn't want my rifle to fire accidently, at any distance it was
dropped. I believe I'd try another shim. NOTHING, would be worth a possible
fatal accident my Friend.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Dustin Cantrell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the input, guys. I put in the green shim and the trigger will still release from a 6" drop. Went to the blue shim and it will still release from a 6" drop. What gives?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
crabillw
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First I want to thank the originator of this thread. I've recently purchased two 455's in .22 LR, a varmint & FS. The FS has no trigger creep that I can detect, & with the factory trigger adjustment at it's lightest & a touch of TS-70 moly lube, it pulls @ 2 1/8 lbs, which, since it's my small game rifle, I'm totally happy with. The varmint is for target, & with the factory trigger set up same as the FS I get the same pull weight. Wanted it lower, so ordered the YoDave kit, it came today & with the threads pictorial @ hand I removed the action & barrel from the stock, removed the scope & set to work. First I installed the lightest shim tube, the black, & found that the action fired as I closed the bolt. Removed the shim & reinstalled the pin. Installed the lightest spring, & tapped the rear of the action several times with a rubber mallet, action fired. Installed next ligest, did the "Mallet" test, again the action fired, Installed the third spring, (next to heaviest) did the mallet test, no firing. Applied spec of TS-70 moly to the sear, repeated the tap test, no fire ! Reassembled the action into the stock, did a number of pull checks with my Wheeler trigger gage, got readings of 1 to 1 1/8 lbs. which I'm happy with. My conclusion re: the shims is that neither of my 455 actions seemed to evidence any creep, so no shimming required. I feel very comfortable with the 1 lb pull, but we'll see how it feels during actual firinf @ the banch after this weekends snowfall melts !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Steve Dallas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Cantrell View Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I put in the green shim and the trigger will still release from a 6" drop. Went to the blue shim and it will still release from a 6" drop. What gives?
How much creep does it have with no shim? If there is little to no creep, there is nothing to remove, and you don't need to shim it. If there is creep to be removed, it is likely your spring tension is too low. In any case, you don't have enough sear engagement.

I bought one kit for 2 rifles hoping I could make it work. My 452 American did not require a shim. I simply replaced the spring with the heaviest in the kit and backed the nut all the way down. Since this is a field gun as well as a target gun, I do not want a trigger that is too light. I don't have a trigger gauge, so I don't know how heavy it is, but it feels right to me. The 455 Varmint received the blue shim and the second heaviest spring with the nut adjusted up a few turns. That gun is used mostly for target shooting. I will probably adjust the nut a little more to find my happy place, but right now it is quite a bit lighter than the 452.

Last edited by Steve Dallas; 04-11-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
rwphilli
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnscott View Post
How much creep does it have with no shim? If there is little to no creep, there is nothing to remove, and you don't need to shim it. If there is creep to be removed, it is likely your spring tension is too low. In any case, you don't have enough sear engagement.
Agreed. I don't want my rifle going off with a 6" drop!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:20 PM
OKShooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabillw View Post
First I want to thank the originator of this thread.

My conclusion re: the shims is that neither of my 455 actions seemed to evidence any creep, so no shimming required.
You're very welcome. This thread was just a small amount of reimbursment for all of the information that I've taken from this site.

Of my ten CZ rifles (452s), at least two of them did not require shims for creep. I'm not sure how the 455s compare, but my stable of CZs vary quite a bit from rifle to rifle when it comes to creep. I assumed that it was just luck of the draw.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 AM
crabillw
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Follow-Up

Finally got the opourtunity to actually live-ammo fire my 455 Varmint that I'd installed the YoDave spring in & have to say that it is the best trigger in any firearm I've ever owned including several that have had professional trigger jobs incorporated. Trigger pull is one lb, very light, yet firm & predictible with no creep. LOVE IT ! Again, thanks to the originator & group for insite into this inexpensive trigger refinement process, any thoughts of purchasing & installing the single set trigger when it becomes available from CZ have now flown out the window.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Didereaux
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up should be made 'sticky'

EXCELLENT!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Phiko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having trouble installing my YoDave kit

Hello , I am trying to install a YoDave trigger spring and shim on my 455 varmint and I think I am stumped. I can not get the trigger back together. I have read all of the post here and watched all of the you tube videos about the subject. I am usually pretty handy working on my own guns.
First off do you reinstall with the bolt in or out. With the bolt in, the rear trigger pin hole want line up at all. With the bolt out I can put both pins back in but my bolt won't go back in.
I must be missing something .
Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Bigkahuna808

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I did mine with the bolt in. The pins were tight and did one at a time. Did u just remove the trigger or the sear too? Make sure that the spring and post are lined up correctly with the hole in the reciver. Dunno know what else could be causing it not to go back in.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:59 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
When installing the bolt, are you pulling the trigger so far back that the pin that guides the trigger spring rises far enough to block the raceway?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Steve in IN
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
When installing the bolt, are you pulling the trigger so far back that the pin that guides the trigger spring rises far enough to block the raceway?
The little rod that the spring slips over? I didn't think there was a hole there, allowing it to go into the bolt race. My guess would be that he's not pulling the trigger enough to lower the sear out of the way.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I couldn't remember if there was or not and didn't want to unstack all the rifles to get to one where I could czech.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Phiko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
False alarm

I guess I was having a senior moment. I was trying to put the spring and guide rod in the wrong hole. All is well on the home front.
The smallest shim took out all of the creep and the trigger is at 2.3 lbs and very crisp. Passed the bump test and I am set to go.
Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Markc1016

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Received my kit today (455 American) and installed it this evening. Settled on the Black shim and the second thickest (second heaviest spring). I do not have a scale. But very light. I actually went up 1.5 turns from bottom (lightest setting) with this trigger spring. I am totally impressed. It know feels better then most any trigger I have experienced. No creep, and light but predictable pull. Passes bump test as well. I do not have a trigger pull measure but am guessing between 1 and 2 pounds by the feel of it. I will check it when I bring it by my office. Owner has a trigger gauge.

Completely impressed with the results of such a simple and inexpensive kit. Every 455 should have these kits. For the price it is a no brainer. The change is unreal! Thanks Dave!