Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:43 PM
22AGS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Win 52 Pre A Rear Locking Lug Crack

HERE ARE SOME EXCELLENT PICS OF A PRE A WITH NO CRACKS

I pulled out my 52 to check up on that crack business, whew no crack. Took the time to do some closeups and got carried away. Here is the link to the story and provenance of this great old gun. 17XXX

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=218749

I have the original blade front, can't remember why I put this 17 on it, but will shortly amend this

This ferrule/escutcheon is for an aluminum cheekpiece made in the Studebaker factory

The typical flaked out trigger guard syndrome

Showing some case colors

Last edited by 22AGS; 06-28-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM
billonthehill

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
pre-a lug crack

How common is this lug crack? Is this something that will eventually occur on most pre-a guns or is it a hit or miss sort of thing? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM
DPSTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billonthehill View Post
How common is this lug crack? Is this something that will eventually occur on most pre-a guns or is it a hit or miss sort of thing? Thanks.
The crack is the result of the safety camming off the firing pin sideways. If the firing pin/safety relationship is correct, then it's ok, the safety will get behind the firing pin and push it to the rear as it's supposed to. If someone has filed on the sear or enough wear has occurred that the firing pin is too far forward, the safety will bear against the side of the firing pin and this causes the safety to crack the lug. If it is used as a bench gun and the safety is never used, it'll be fine as well. The cracking is not a result of firing pressure, and honestly, the 52 has enough locking lug for some centerfire pressures.......

DPSTX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 PM
ford8nr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
lug crack

Good evening gentlemen, new to the forum but have shot .22's in various forms of comp for 40 years. Just bought a pre-A last year not knowing about the crack problem until a month AFTER I'd owned it. As far as I can tell it DOES NOT AFFECT accuracy like some say. This gun will shoot off a bench as good as the 52D I shot in indoor gallery. Stock design and weight (too light) affect overall offhand shooting accuracy. I did find two local tool and die shops that can grind out and either micro-weld or plasma weld the crack for me for $50-75Haven't decided if it's worth the effort. At this time I'm trying it in indoor gallery after replacing the stock with a laminated thumbhole.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:28 AM
STEELWIMP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Safety affecting the rear lug crack

Thanks to all for the heads up! I have what I guess is a 'Pre-A" (manufactured, I think in 1926). When I bought the rifle I was worried about how hard it was to engage the safety. I took the rifle to a gunsmith who just flipped it over. I was worried I would break something. So all was ok. But... now I see that engaging the safety puts stress on the lug. I will not take the chance anymore. The rifle is not used in the field (I do my tin can hunting with a Rossi 62, a Mossberg 346B and a Smith Model 34) and I do not expect to need to engage the safety on the 52 at a range. On another note, I added a couple of pics of the sight on my 52; is this from an '03-A3?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 PM
dj1michaels

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Winchester 52 speedlock, serial # 199XX, with the intent of having the action worked over, rebarreling it and adding a custom stock. Little did I know of the cracking problem when I bought this rifle. Luckily, this rifle does not have this crack (yet ?). How do I absolutely, positively prevent this crack from happening? If the safety has to be removed and a different type of safety fabricated, so be it but, it has to be 100%. What can I do?????
Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 AM
DPSTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Read this thread carefully, advisably with the rifle in hand, there are several descriptions of the causes of the crack and the avoidance of same. The safety can be used if it correctly cams the firing pin rearward only, with virtually NO side load. Every shooter of the rifle should be aware of the potential problem and be aware of how it feels every time they use the safety. My rifle is a very early gun (#1392), and has been shot quite a bit, judging by the wear and the fact that the barrel was replaced already, I expect MANY years ago. The safety is in fine shape and works reliably. Its cam engages the firing pin from the front and cams it straight back, as it should.

Good luck and Good shooting...

DPSTX
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
dj1michaels

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello,

Quesion, I too have a pre-A, speedlock Winchester 52. My 52, fortunately, does not have this crack (yet). I am wondering if there is a way to prevent the crack from happening? My understanding is the the "A" version has an extra .085" of metal in the area that cracks on the pre-A. My thought is adding metal in front of the lug (.100"), machining it square and then machining the .100" off locking lug on the bolt. This would effective make the weak area stronger - but is it feasible?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 PM
DPSTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
your safety....

pm sent

DPSTX
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 AM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
this is an old thread so this question may not be viewed by anyone but I'll ask anyway; to what degree does a cracked rear-lug effect the function and accuracy of these rifles? Like someone else here, I never use my safety because of the manner in which it is shot, but would still like a feel from someone for what you are dealing with IF you have a cracked lug. regards.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Annotated "A" vs "Pre-A" Pictures

Seewin put together some annotated pictures for the A versus pre-A locking lug arrangement in this thread:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=539862
Old 03-01-2015, 03:36 PM
lornedavis
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

central MI., the house with the rifle range out back!
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Have 2 pre-A's and one has a cracked lug. Seems to shoot fine, have used in 100 yd. matches and scored high (but no cigar). Uncracked one shoots about the same.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:39 PM
HAMTTX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just to add to the conversation. The issue is from the thickness of the area that was subjected to excessive heat during the hardening at the factory. The area around the lug was much thinner and when the factory brought the heat up to harden the receiver it caused the area adjacent to the lug to become brittle.

The simple camming action of the safety would over time cause the brittle material to crack. On top of which the crack can be very difficult to see. So much so one could easily be fooled into thinking there is no crack present. If you are fortunate enough to have a rifle that you do not see a crack, you may want to try a simple check to verify the condition. As it in fact could be cracked but no separation is yet seen.

A simple procedure that you can perform is to clean the area with a dry cloth and use a few drops of penetrating oil and quickly wipe the excess off. Allow the rifle to sit still for 10 to 15 minutes and then reexamine the area with a 10 power jewelers loupe.

If cracked you will see a thin line of oil come to the surface. But, unless the area is re-treated using cold rods it would be wise to not use the safety.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:52 PM
lornedavis
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

central MI., the house with the rifle range out back!
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a pre-A slow lock # 9000 something, and a speed lock no A in serial. The slow lock---no crack, speed lock cracked (gone in fact). Does not seem to effect accuracy maybe I'm just not good enough to notice. But I have placed within top three places in informal match's (100 yd. elbows on bench) with it.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:01 PM
airborne7198

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine has the crack, and is currently being fixed. Before I took it out and dropped it off to be fixed I conducted a 5 shot group @ 200 yds on 8 inch steel. Connected 4/5 with a 10-15 mph crosswind @ 200 yds and a 10 mph tailwind at my shooting spot.
[IMG][/IMG]