Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Bolt

John,

I'm not currently at home to let you know the serial. When I get back I'll let you know. Doubt it will mean a lot unless it falls within a huge block because of random assembly.

David,

If you buy it new or know the history of it. On the other hand If you don't know the history I don't feel you can assume anything. I might guess if it was a DCM/CMP it might be a replacement. Strange things may have occurred there.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donws2 View Post
My E number is E 123540.

Came from winchester in a Free laminate Thumb Hole stock with both the flat and hook butt plates. Has the factory Red glass bedding.

Has the strirup style hand support.

Has Redfield Mk8 international rear and the long International front sights.

Bolt is Numbered to the rifle.

Did have the Hand stop and Freeland cuff sling but the first owner has them on another E he still ownes.

No date on the barrel like on D and C 52's.

Barrel has the Recessed crown.

Both the Receiver and barrel are the Earlier Gloss Bluing insteed of the later matt type.

Donald
Thanks for the number. Your 52 falls right in between several other Internationals, which kind of leads me to believe these were built in lots at the custom shop.
By the way Winchester quit dating the barrels on their guns around 1956. I have never seen any Winchester with a date later than 56. So, many of the C's and all of the later D & E's were not stamped(that I am aware of).
Steve
Old 03-04-2010, 04:39 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
52-i

Hi Steve,

Your quote: "Thanks for the number. Your 52 falls right in between several other Internationals, which kind of leads me to believe these were built in lots at the custom shop. "

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren,t all the original "E's" Internationals for the first years until "D" parts were becoming exhausted? Thereby all the early Internationals prior to 197? were "the lot" as there were no others at the time. Or , might this one fall at a later date. After the merge I'm sure they picked up a few receivers (lot) but not by serial so to equate with a serial block is hard especially since the International was not a hot seller.

Just wondering if an easy to fill out form with specific questions, serial, round receiver or sight flats, matte/ polish, etc., might be helpful in the process of gathering the needed info. I know its easy for me not to always recall needed info.

bjm

Last edited by BrianJ; 03-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
CaseyP

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
52e

I have a 52E serial #1226xx that is not D&T and has a round bolt handle (serial #'d to the gun), marksman stock, flat muzzle heavy barrel, and gloss finish. In other words, it is identical to a 52D other than it has an E serial number. Does anyone know what is the lowest known serial# 52E with a D&T receiver? Did they start above my number, or did they skip around? Thanks for any info!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
I have a 52E serial #1226xx that is not D&T and has a round bolt handle (serial #'d to the gun), marksman stock, flat muzzle heavy barrel, and gloss finish. In other words, it is identical to a 52D other than it has an E serial number. Does anyone know what is the lowest known serial# 52E with a D&T receiver? Did they start above my number, or did they skip around? Thanks for any info!
I don't believe there is any way to pinpoint when the E's started to be drilled and tapped simply because they were not necessarily built by s/n order. I can tell you that I own E122595, 122708, and they are both drilled and tapped. I also have E122857 which is not d/t'd. When we first started keeping track of s/n's on the D and E models we did not concern ourselves with such mattters. Now as more info and questions come to light, I wish I had asked more questions. Keep in mind when this endeavor first began, we were just trying to figure out how many of each were made.
I would sure like to have your full s/n for database, along with type of stock etc. If you do not want to display number publicly, you can email me at [email protected]. I assure you that your number will not be published.
Steve
Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seewin View Post
I don't believe there is any way to pinpoint when the E's started to be drilled and tapped simply because they were not necessarily built by s/n order. I can tell you that I own E122595, 122708, and they are both drilled and tapped. I also have E122857 which is not d/t'd. When we first started keeping track of s/n's on the D and E models we did not concern ourselves with such mattters. Now as more info and questions come to light, I wish I had asked more questions. Keep in mind when this endeavor first began, we were just trying to figure out how many of each were made.
I would sure like to have your full s/n for database, along with type of stock etc. If you do not want to display number publicly, you can email me at [email protected]. I assure you that your number will not be published.
Steve
Brian, There are many early E's in the database that are not Internationals. There is a pretty good mix of Marksman stocked guns as well.
Steve
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
usmc69
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
What is the difference between a MK 8 International rear sight and a plain International rear sight? Have one of each....
Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
What is the difference between a MK 8 International rear sight and a plain International rear sight? Have one of each....
Brian will know for sure, however if my memory is correct, the standard is 1/4 moa clicks while the Mk8 is 1/8 moa.
Steve
Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
E

Steve,

Yes, I agree you can show early "E" by serial that were not Internationals as the receivers were used at random and a low serial does not mean early manufacture. Consider if one looks at the DOM/Purchase date, where this is available, the early E's were only Internationals. You are in the best position to note if that info was indicated.
Early on when talking with George his eary interest was concerned with original purchasers and those dated serials. That was quite a task at a late date for original purchasers.

Yes, you are 100% correct on the Redfield International MK-8.

bjm
Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 PM
JohnOhio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
redfield mark 8

Brian: Do you have a idea when they first started making the redfield international mark 8 receiver sight? I was going through my sight drawer and found one new in the box. also found the front sight new in the box. My instructions in the box say effective Feb. 1, 1967. They were pretty high priced back then-$39.95 for the rec. sight and $14.95 for the front sight.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Donws2
US Army Veteran Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
The receiver is factory drilled and tapped if that is helpful.

I've had at least one 52D that was dated. I've sold that gun and it well could have had a C barrel installed but I seem to think it was arround 58 or 59.

Donald
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 AM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
sight

John,

I'm not home at present so can't check my files for the exact date but am sure its in the area you spoke of. Yes, it was a little costly for the time.

bjm
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 AM
45/70sharpshtr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have 52D it's Serial # is 105483D. standard barrel. Thanks,45/70SS
Old 03-05-2010, 11:37 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
45/70,
Thanks for the number, another early D in std wt ! This is getting great. Again, I wonder why all these early D's are std wt? Was Winchester just trying to clear them out?
Steve
Old 03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Sandy22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steve,

I sent George my serial no. in Sept'08. 114475D I presume you've "inherited" it o.k.

Sandy.