Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 AM
picketpin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bearcat Convertable

Ok, I'm a shooter/ hunter and I am fortunate to own a NM Bearcat with both 22 and 22 magnum cylinders (unfortunatly it did not come with box or papers). I have heard that they will bring in the $1000 range for collectors.. My delema is that I would hate to drag it around in the woods and shoot it tons and ruin it for some guy that is dying to complete his bearcat collection when my stainless version of the same will fill that task perfectly.
I would apreciate your thoughts on this as well as helping me find a resonable value , or blue book price.
james
Old 06-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Uncle Howie

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I would suggest contacting Ruger and getting the revolver "lettered," that is, find out if the gun was originally shipped with both cylinders. IIRC, the Convertible Bearcats were recalled.

There have been some enterprising folks reaming Bearcat cylinders to .22WMR, and assembling their own homemade "convertibles." Nifty idea...

You might also post this same question over at rugerforum.com as they have some extremely knowledgeable folks over there.

My thoughts-

If it turns out to be a "homemade" convertible, shoot the daylights out of it. I'm jealous of your toy.

If it turns out to be the "real deal," keep it nice. Hang onto it, or sell it and buy yourself a newer, non-convertible Bearcat. Be aware that a lack of box or papers will hurt the value as far as a serious collector is concerned.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
picketpin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the response Uncle Howie, I'm pretty sure this is not an after market gunsmith job, I purchased it from a pawn shop in 1994 before there was any alleged collector value. My bearcat .22 mag cylinder is factory stamped 22 magnum similarly to the single six, and all the serial numbers match up.. I thought this was a dead thread so I went to barnes and Noble and found a blue book value; 1000 with box 800-900 with out. Who would I contact at ruger about "getting it lettered".

Thank you
james
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 01:45 AM
idaho

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds pretty sweet...I'd love to get my hands on a Bearcat at a resonable price. New ones run about $280 for blued and $350 for stainless in my neck of the woods. A little spendy in my book since a decent used Single Six can be had for about $200 (blued). That's what I got mine for at a gun show.

If I were you I would NOT shoot that one you have with the two cylinders and either keep it long-term or sell it to the right person (right meaning a serious collector willing to pay top dollar for it).

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:54 AM
stubbfarmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Hi picketpin. As I read your post you have 2 Bearcats a convertible and a stainless. I think you have the value of your convertible about right. You never know what an auction might do though. The neat thing about yours is that it has been shot so If you take care of it shooting it won't hurt the value. I think most guns that are convertible get several hundred 22LR to one 22 Mag shot through them. I would not worry about a letter from Ruger. You know it is right and a serious collector will know. Ruger recalled them and would like them all back. It costs about $225 to make a Bearcat a convertible. If I were you I would shoot my stainless as my main gun (all the 22 LR) and shoot the convertible when I wanted to shoot a mag once in a while. I would probably never sell the convertible but I don't think it will ever be worth any less if you take care of it and as rare as they are could go up in value over time. If you want to shoot alot of mags I would think about either converting your stainless or getting a mag in a different gun.