Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Chum

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cleaning

I have a few quick questions. Sorry if they are stupid ones. Untill now most of my cleaning expirience has been with shotguns and muzzleloaders. Shotguns are easy. Muzzleloaders are more involved but you dont have to worry about copper build up when using sabots. I have been trying to season the barrel of my muzzleloader by not using petroleum based cleaner. I have been told you can season the barrel much like a cast iron skillet. I allways end my cleaning with some remmington all natural bore lube.

Should I try to "season" the barrel of my .22?

Should I use bore lube after cleaning it? Or is this seasoning thing just a myth?

Is the fouling not a big corrosive problem as with pyrodex so cleaning doesnt have to be as often and can be left dirty for long periods of time without damageing the barrel?

How often should I remove copper fouling and should I ever use a copper brush?

Sorry if there was allready a similar post.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:50 AM
knitepoet
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to knitepoet
Chum,
I shoot BP quite a bit too.
First, From what I've personally seen and also from what I've read @ CVA's BP forum... "seasoning" a BP barrel is a joke... it doesn't have the open grain like a cast iron skillet so there's nothing for the "seasoning" to adhere too.

Concerning your 22 barrel.. if it is new, breaking it in will probably help..see chief dave's thread about the stinger barrel he bought.
If the barrel's been used for more than 200 rounds or so, then just basic cleaning should be all you need.
Just my $0.02 worth,
Paul
Old 01-20-2003, 12:12 PM
bigdaddytacp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
barrel cleaning

This is a often discussed topic...from my experience with all types and quality guns and reading opinions in a poll of the WINNING top rimfire shooters even they don't agree on the PROPER method of barrel cleaning for rimfires....that said...all agree to clean from the breech if possible and use a bore guide or be very careful in running the good solid rod thru the bore....coated or uncoated steel with a good bronze brush or NO brush...good coton double napped patchs and use a lead solvent for rimfires and coat the barrel with a oil without teflon if not going to be used for long time or climate requires.....some don't use a brush but others do and both shoot high dollar guns and win matchs......avoid jointed rods and wipe the rod after each pass.....the pull thru cleaners homemade or store bought are good for auto's and similar actions where the solid rod can't be used....time to clean....after every shooting session is some climates and only when the guns groups start opening up in other areas....it is according to your gun and the ammo you shoot.....Boretech,Shooters Choice, Hoppes Lead remover all work well....as to seasoning a barrel? in rimfire I haven't had the need as with jacketed bulllet shooting centerfires BUT some gun barrels prefer to be fouled/shot before grouping their best....don't shoot BP or muzzleloaders and can't comment on their likes.....enjoy and good luck and good shooting!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2003, 10:38 PM
ChiefDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Chief says:
I clean my barrels with extra care , using a one piece
fiberglass rod and never a brish .unless its absolutely
necessary (" removal of buildup or obstruction).
A dbl patch is usally sufficient. with a good bore cleaner
Hoppes or (Foaming -WipeOut) is good.

Once after the breakin session - I hand lap the bore with
Flitz metal polish. and if extra accuracy is desired .
I apply Moly Fusion . treatment three times. this supplies
the base for a super accurate easy to clean bore.

Everyone has their own technique , for barrel cleaning . prep.
and accuracy. Its best to develop your own technique .
one that suits you and your brand of barrel.
As what works one place , may not work in another. due to type
of ammo. amount of shooting, ect.

22 MAGNUM= though its a rimfire , it shoots a jacketed bullet
much like the centerfire. I treat it is if it is a LR Barrel.
More frequent cleaning is needed here as there may be copper
to be removed other than lead.
HERE I THINK , SOMETIMES one must result to a brush (but a
very soft one). not brass ! the bore is harder than the 22LR .
but not enough to require the type of centerfire cleaning.

A magnum - very special animal. much caution cleanig this
rimfire=centerfire projectile shooter
Old 01-21-2003, 07:24 AM
Chum

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks guys

I think the flitz and moly fusion is just what I'm looking for. Now I just have to find them.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:57 AM
techshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chum_Bucket and Phil in Alabama:
If you need to get to Moly-Fusion, besides just typing Molyfusion in any major search engine, typing in molyfusion.com or shooter solutions.com in the web browser, or going to the Forums, Sponsors, Posts and click on the "Techshooter" Posts for hot links with the special, and the older techshooter post gives you internal rimfirecentral.com links.
MolyFusion.com

I'm guessing Flitz may be in the largest gun store near you.

Phil in Alabama: The original forums ... sponsor announcements for members post includes an active discount.