Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2003, 02:28 AM
Joey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Locktite for 10-22

I was thinking of getting a new mount rail for my 10-22. Its unfired but i have heard of the tip off rail working loose. I heard if you aplied locktite to the screws that i would be stable forever though. Is this true?
Old 01-17-2003, 07:15 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb 10/22 Scope Mounting

Joey,
Quote:
It's unfired, but i have heard of the tip off rail working loose.
There are two problems with using the 'tip off rail' ["Ruger" 'scope mount adapter']:
1. It is most often used by beginner shooters who have no experience with scope mounts or their proper mounting; therefore, it is often installed improperly.
2. It will ONLY accept rimfire "Tip Off" rings, many of which are only made of mild steel which will not clamp securely.

Both of the above problems will cause the scope and mount base to "work loose"......! !
1. The mount base loosens from the receiver.
2. The scope rings slip on the mounting base.

The use of "LocTite" Thread Locker [#242 Medium (Blue)] on the mount base screw threads will prevent the mount base from loosening from the receiver [#1.]; the 'Medium' grade allows later removal of the screws, if you choose to use another type mount base later.
The use of "Weaver" 'Tip-Off' rings will prevent the slippage of the rings on the base [#2.], as they are made of hardened alloy steel, and the clamping surfaces are serrated.
The rings supplied with inexpensive rimfire scopes are often the cause of many scope mounting problems, as they are stamped out of cheap sheet steel and will not hold their shape, much less stay clamped on a scope mounting base.

Note: The "Weaver" TO-9 mounting base will accept BOTH the "Tip-Off" type rings and the much more secure "DTM" * rings.
[ * Detachable Top Mount ]

Weaver < < LINK

Hope this helps.......
Old 01-17-2003, 12:52 PM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Joey,

You could also borrow some nail polish from your girl friend... It works just about as good a loc-tite, just easier to remove.

Michel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2003, 02:12 PM
el solo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does anybody else apply locktite as glue between the top of the receiver and the scope mount? After that sets up, the screws are almost unnessary.