Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-16-2003, 04:54 PM
10/22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mini 14.....

Anybody Have one. I want one for plinking/coyote hunting. If you have one or have shot one, do you or did you like it?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:03 PM
B Coyote
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do not like the Mini-14. It's inaccurate as all get out. After the first couple rounds and that barrel gets a little warm....your groups will go to hell in a handbasket.

The only reliable magazines are Ruger factory or PMI, both of which cost an arm and a leg.

Though there is an abundance of aftermarket parts for this gun, I still wouldn't buy another. I do understand this rifle can be accurized, but why spend the bucks? Get an AR15 variant and be done with it.

Also...the Mini's chamber is a .223. This excludes using any super cheap surplus ammunition in 5.56mm. Yes, there is a difference. Click HERE for an excellent description of the difference.

Lee, don't blow your hard earned bucks on a Mini-14 if you want a rifle of this type.

Jeremy
Old 01-16-2003, 05:19 PM
10/22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I was hoping to get a good response.....But im happy that eveyone I talk to tells me the truth. Thanks for the ammo link. Do you know of any AR15s that are cheap. As you may know Im 14 and dont have that much money. Hopefully this summer I will be able to treat myself to a AR15. I think my dad would like it too, because hen he was in the army he had a M-16. Might bring back some memories. What cal. would you get if you were me? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2003, 05:35 PM
10/22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BTW....any good AR forums?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:37 PM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lightbulb Mini-14 Chamber and Ammunition

10/22,
Quote:
Also...the Mini's chamber is a .223. This excludes using any super cheap surplus ammunition in 5.56mm. Yes, there is a difference. [Jeremy (BC)]
CORRECTION
Quote:
AMMUNITION
The Mini-14 Rifle is designed to use either US Military (5.56mm) or commercial sporting .223 cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice.
[Instruction Manual for Mini-14 Rifle][Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.]
While many find the Mini-14 inaccurate, mine will hold 1 1/2" five round groups at 100 yards off the bench; it is scoped. It will digest any and all suitable military or commercial ammo without a problem. Most aftermarket Hi-Cap magazines for the Mini-14 are pure junk. I have several Ruger 20 round magazines, and they function flawlessly.

However, it is NOT a target rifle.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Max Mike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most Mini-14s are reliable rifles they are not as accurate as an AR-15. The Mini-14 is more comparable to a AK in accuracy (not very) and it is reliable if you have good magazines.

The problem is factory Mini-14 20 round magazines start at $60-100, after market magazines can be bad, very bad there are some good ones out there you have to look around and even the better after market magazines can cause problems.

A Mini-14 can be had for about $350 used, a Bushmaster AR-15 can be found new for less than $750. Good USGI AR-15 30 round magazines can still be found for $15-20 so when you factor in getting 5-10 reliable magazines for your rifle the price of the AR-15 starts to look a lot better.

The AR-15 is a very accurate rifle much more accurate than the Mini-14. Also because of the design of the AR-15 the rifles are very customizable even more so than the 10/22. You can do endless things with them (and spend endless amounts of money).

I have a Mini-14 and a couple of AR-15s, IMO if you can only have one get the AR-15. The price of good Mini-14 magazines just make it more expensive in the long run and the with all the different things you can do with the AR it is way more fun
Old 01-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Remmy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a mini 14 for a while also...its a great gun for what it is. But you have to realize that they arent made for great accuracy, very dependable and fun gun. But like some others have said, why go for that when you could have an AR-15 type... that is accurate to boot. My mini would average about 7" in. 5 shot groups, and thats not depending on the shooter... the gun just wouldnt hold tight groups. So i sold it basically because of that reason alone, i just didnt know "exactly" what i was buying when i bought the mini 14.

I say dont get one...
Old 01-16-2003, 08:55 PM
B Coyote
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Mini I had was marked as .223. Unless it says 5.56mm, I don't put that caliber in it.

Don't buy a cheap AR. You get what you pay for. Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Colt (even if they use out of Mil-Spec parts) are all good.

Click HERE for the best AR forum I've found.

While Mini-14's are reliable, their lack of inherent accuracy makes them a Don't Buy in my book.

Save your bucks and get the AR. 5.56mm is the caliber to have.

Jeremy
Old 01-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Love2Shoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mini-14s and mini 30s are both 4 to 6 MOA guns. The AR is more accurate out of the box, roughly 2 MOA or better. The other down fall is repair parts for the Mini, you gotta send it to ruger. With the AR, There are a disgusting amount of AR parts out there. and with a removal of two pins you can turn it from a carbine into a bench rest varmit gun, lets see you do that with the Mini.

When you decide you can afford a AR, and with you parents approval, shoot me an email. We get used stuff in on trades, I can see what can get pieced together.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:16 AM
AK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a mini 14 and 30 and all I can say is that they were never suppose to be tack drivers out of the box. If your looking for a short range rifle then you can pick up a used mini for a good price. I like the mini because it's reliable with the factory magazines and will eat anything I put in it so far which includes the wolf .223 and the south african battlepacks. My advice is to not try turning the mini into something it isn't and probably save a little longer and get a AR if your going to be shooting at longer targets.

AK
Old 01-17-2003, 12:23 AM
Ziplok
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Got 2 both Stainless

They are 'adequate' for snap shooting - I gave up trying to make them behave like target rifles a long while ago. neither has a scope at present but I did replace the factory sights with adjustable peepsights from Millette.
Carry guns - they get to ride a lot more than they get shot
Both are pre ban with accompanying hi cap mags, but they mostly get used with their factory 5-rounders. Haven't shot either from a bench for at least 5 years
I've probably shot about 1000 rounds through each... but seldom more than 5 rounds at any one time.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:43 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Anyone got a good number for Ruger Service?

I have a pair of Mini's I need to send back... One is a Mini 14 and the other is a Mini 30... both are stainless steel with synthetic stocks and neither one lives up to the some of the claims here.

My Mini 14 shoots surplus 5.56mm ammo just fine, which I guess it shouldn't do... and then most all rounds group into less than 2" at 100 yards so something is also wrong there... should be at least 4"-6" from the tales in this thread.

My Mini 30 shoots about the same... with both US commercial, and foreign surplus ammo... In fact I can get consisitent 1.5" groups at 100 yards with Winchesther factory ammo... I fear something is terribly wrong with my gun!!!

I've owned a fair number of AR-15s and they are good, serviceable money pits... I mean rifles. They are not that much more accurate, out of the box, than the Mini's... perhaps a 1/2", which is inconsequential unless you are shooting in competition, at least such has been my experience...

The Mini's are every bit as reliable, and even more so than one of the Bushmaster ARs I once owned.... and their gas system is less prone to leaks or damage... plus there is no bolt carrier to have to worry with (keep it clean or suffer functioning issues), and take down is just as quick...

Magazine costs are only an issue if you feel the need for more than 10 rounds, as the Pro-Mag brand 10 round mags have proven extremely reliable for me, and are available at very reasonable prices... (less than $20 each).

So, if you like the looks, and handling of a Mini... buy one... but keep in mind, it may just be as "defective" as mine or BigMike's.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:13 AM
Love2Shoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
as far as accuracy, i have heard from a few others that have gotten that kind of accuracy, but from my own personal experience, your two rifles may be the exception to the rule.

Dont get me wrong, I like the Mini 14. With good ammo and Mags, it is a good rifle, I like the operating system also. I dont like that there is limited availiblility for replacement parts. If you dont expect fantastic accuracy, it is a fun "Plinker". If your not worried about high cap mags also.....

People compare AR15s and Mini 14s all the time. That shouldn't happen. They are two completley different rifles. Am I Biased towards the AR, Yes I probably am. Would I ever own another mini 14, yes if the deal was good enough I might. But here again, probably wouldn't shoot it much. Would I own a mini 30 again, no.....have enough AK rifles to fill that need....now if they did a mini in 5.45x39.....hmmmmm......

10/22, in my opinion, you would probably be happy with either rifle, one costs less then the other, one has more expensive mags. one has more options to change it. I mean think of it, the AR can be converted easily into 22LR, 9mm, 10mm, 357 Sig, 7.62x25, 45ACP, 223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 50AE, 50 Beowolf, 440 Socom, 458 Socom, 44 magnum...I am sure there are a few more calibers out there I am forgeting also. and you actually have to buy one registered part. The conversion are just parts that can be sent directly to you.

Like I said, you will enjoy yourself either way. Save up the money and see what happens. Maybe get you dad to buy you a box of ammo, and go to the range and see if you can find someone with one of these rifles and see if they will let you shoot a couple of shots, this way you cant ry both types first.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:24 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
L't'S',

I agree that the Mini and AR should be viewed as two different types of rifle... BTW, you forgot the .243 and .308, if we throw the AR-10s into the ring... converting and AR to different calibers is easy, only if you buy complete uppers, but it's not cheap... as each upper will cost about the same as a Mini.

I like both weapons, and I like the SKS and AK variants as well... hey, it's all good.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:31 AM
BigMike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Caliber Marking vs Ammunition

B Coyote,
Quote:
The Mini I had was marked as .223. Unless it says 5.56mm, I don't put that caliber in it. [B Coyote]
So, if you had a ".308 Win" chambered rifle [M70, M700, M7400], you would not use 7.62 NATO ammunition in it......? ?

Or, if you had a ".30/06 Sprg." chambered rifle [M70, M700, M7400, 1903, '03A3, or M1], you would not use Military M2 Ball ammunition in it......? ?

Interesting.......