Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:48 PM
patseale
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1st customize project

Since I don’t think this will be an Ultimate 10/22 I thought I should post this thread in the ‘Anything 10/22’ folder. I wanted to keep a log as I proceed and thought some of you might enjoy my attempt at this :>).

My first customized Ruger 10/22 project will start with the Carbine I purchased back in 1976, and stripping it down to its receiver and then rebuilding with the following components.

I now have in hand a Kid Completion Kit with Kid Bolt: includes the Kid two stage trigger, Kid stainless match barrel, Kid receiver pin kit, Kid viton bolt buffer, and Kid tuned bolt plus a Bell and Carlson Anschutz stock.

I’ve ordered from WeaponKraft a 10/22 LR Basic Package – Stainless which contains a T-Hex wrench, a Dakotan Urethane bolt buffer, and stainless steel socket head takedown screw. Also, ordered an extra long stainless steel takedown screw just in case I need it for the B & C Anschutz stock. Reed also has Ruger factory stock escutcheons available and I included one of those in the order too.

The scope that is currently on the Carbine will not be used in the project. It was purchased at the same time the 10/22 was but it is in need of heavy maintenance and I don’t know at this time if that would cost more than its worth. We’ll see. It’s a Weaver VB 2.5 x 7.

I'm look forward to joining in the fun.

Last edited by patseale; 07-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:37 PM
DM-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like fun!

I just bought a used 10/22 yesterday. I ordered a LOT of parts today!

This will be my second modified 10/22...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:44 PM
RICOCHET

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
patseale,

very nice what you did. check out the Super Stock forum. start your own thread and join in on some of the "games" we play. sure looks like a great
SSer' to me. check it out,

rico....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DM-SC,
Cool. That makes you one up on me then. You must have enjoyed the first to be back for more. Good.
Pat
Old 01-28-2007, 02:44 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Initial assembly

In this photo you see the KIDD S.S. barrel mounted to the Ruger receiver with the KIDD Match Trigger installed.

Also, I modified the receiver for using the KIDD Receiver Pin Kit and installed the well known orange WeaponKraft Bolt Recoil Buffer.

The Receiver Pin kit is nice but for myself I think the next time I would just reuse the Ruger Receiver Cross Pins and not purchase the kit.

When mounting the barrel to the receiver the barrel was a firm slip fit until approx. the last 1/16 of an inch. It took moderate pressure on the Barrel Retainer Screws to seat the barrel flush with the receiver. I now wonder if I should have polished the barrel flange to allow the barrel to slip flush to the receiver without the need to pull it down with the Barrel Retainer V-Block? I may have to take it to a gunsmith now should I want the receiver removed from the barrel. I would appreciate any comments on this.

Last edited by patseale; 01-28-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICOCHET View Post
patseale,

very nice what you did. check out the Super Stock forum. start your own thread and join in on some of the "games" we play. sure looks like a great
SSer' to me. check it out,

rico....
You've got me thinking about your SS class. When I get a chance I'll look up your sticky and see whats allowed. I'll need to find another receiver now for either the Carbine or the customized job.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:11 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While searching for information on the Bell & Carlson Anschutz stock I ran across a discussion concerning the presence of an escutcheon in the stock from B&C. In my case there was not one provided or molded into the stock (the stock is a Dec. 2006 issue). After reading the above mentioned thread I decided that I would include a long takedown screw, 1 ¼ inch, and a Ruger factory escutcheon which Reed carries at WeaponKraft with my order. Sure glad I did as they were needed.

Please see post #10 for a correction to the above.

Last edited by patseale; 02-10-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:31 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Progress to present

This is where the project is at present, barrel/action installed in the stock.

Iím now waiting on an order containing a scope base so I can setup the scope and then I'll begin to think snow melt and some warm weather to start checking out my work at the range.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:02 PM
DM-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The waiting is the TOUGH part!

Looks like you're moving right along!

Unfortunately, I have a bit of waiting left before I get to actually assemble and shoot my 10/22 project. The barrel, bolt and receiver are heading to CPC for some magic!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:01 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Retraction about no escutcheon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patseale View Post
While searching for information on the Bell & Carlson Anschutz stock I ran across a discussion concerning the presence of an escutcheon in the stock from B&C. In my case there was not one provided or molded into the stock (the stock is a Dec. 2006 issue). After reading the above mentioned thread I decided that I would include a long takedown screw, 1 ¼ inch, and a Ruger factory escutcheon which Reed carries at WeaponKraft with my order. Sure glad I did as they were needed.
In working with the Anschutz stock today I saw a glint of metal in the takedown hole of the stock after removing the factory escutcheon I had installed. Bell and Carlson has provided a metal insert that allows the standard length takedown screw to be used if you like and doesn't require that you use a factory escutcheon. In my case I will use the additional escutcheon as pictured above.

I apologize for not catching this sooner. Hope it did not lead anyone too far astray.

Last edited by patseale; 02-07-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:23 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The project is now ready for its first trip to the range, weather premitting. Can't wait to see what we have starting out.

That's my shop foreman and attack cat checking the work.

Last edited by patseale; 02-12-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:58 AM
DM-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks very nice!

Hopefully it'll shoot as good as it looks...
Old 02-11-2007, 02:09 PM
patseale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks DM-SC. Come on nice weather. It's a bleak day here today.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:16 PM
DM-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patseale View Post
Thanks DM-SC. Come on nice weather. It's a bleak day here today.
Well, we had great weather...I just don't have all of my parts yet!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:08 PM
sightandsounds

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great job!!! I think you are going to be suprised at how good it shoots. The Kid barrels are very good and the trigger....well you know it's awesome.

I've been planning my next build for awhile and it is nearly identical to what you have there.

Let us know how it shoots.