Stray from rimfire and regret it. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:49 PM
jackknife
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stray from rimfire and regret it.

You'd think by this time, having lived long enough to become an old fart, I'd have learned something. Something like, when you find something that works for you, don't mess around, stay with it.

For most my life I've been a rimfire nut. Rifles, handguns, whatever. But once in a while I stray from the fold and live regret it. This time it was a Ruger LCP.

For over 30 years, I've carried one or two little North American Arms mini .22 revolvers. They've worked for me and my lifestyle. I once had a S&W .38 J frame snubbie with the aluminum frame. It was an okay gun, but the air weight .38 was not a fun gun to shoot. And when I go shooting, I really like to shoot. I'll go through half a bulk pack of .22's in one shooting session.

Last spring my daughter wanted a Ruger LCP in blue, so I picked one up for her. I shot it bit before I deceived it to her to make sure it was okay. I did like the gun, even though it was a very snappy thing. I bought one. Now, a few months later, I regret it.

It's been a few months now, and I've come to the conclusion that it's an okay gun for a younger person with no arthritis issues in the hands. This gun is reliable, light, easy to carry in a side pocket of my jeans, but it beats me up at the range. I'm thinking I'll sell it at the next local gun show and just go back to carrying my little NAA mini revolvers. Those mini .22's have saved my butt three diferent times over the thirty plus years I've had them, so what more can I want?

If I need real accuracy, I've got a S&W 8 shot model 63 I carry sometimes on hikes.

You'd think I'd learn to stay with he trusty .22.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
It's clean and it's paid for JK, hang on to it for awhile and see if you warm up to it. You can always sell it later for the same money as now.

I understand wanting to shoot a carry piece enough to feel comfortable and competent with it in all scenarios. However, once you're up to speed with it there's no need to take it to the range all the time.

That said, I too carry a NAA folding handle .22 mag because it's light and easily concealable and I'm lazy

Frank
Old 11-08-2019, 02:22 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I carried a Ruger BearCat for years while I was with the Forest Service. Probably wouldn't have been much use against a bear, but I thought of it more as a signaling device if I fell off a log and broke a leg somewhere. On my last forest in south Alabama it did take care of several water moccasins that were in my path.

More recently now, I had a S&W .380 BodyGuard that I really liked. I had gotten my daughter a 9 mm EDC that she could shoot up a storm with. Then she said she wanted something smaller to carry so I got her an LCP.

She said it was okay, but she liked the external safety on my BodyGuard better so I swapped with her. The BG is a lot more user friendly to shoot, but I carry the LCP and shoot it from time to time. I got the clip that replaces the pin in the rear of the slide. It sits in my hip pocket and is just about invisible. It is the best gadget I have found lately.

I did satisfy another urge a few months ago. I shoot with a bunch of guys that have PCC's. Our gun club had a hell of a sale and I picked up a Kel-Tek Sub2000 9mm, Beretta mag.s for a song. I have a Beretta 92G so my mags are interchangeable. I wanted something small I could put in a tote sack and throw in the PU. That is the real ticket. And it is accurate as all get out. Plastic water bottles at 50 yd.s don't stand a chance. I use a QD red dot on it that I can stick on it in a matter of seconds and it holds zero real good.

Pardon my rambling.

VH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 04:10 PM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Try one of the grip pads,,,

I too found the "snap" of the LCP to be unpleasant,

I purchased a grip pad made by Pachmeyer if I recall correctly,,,
The price was somewhere around $12.00 total,,,
Man what a difference it makes.

This wasn't one of the slip-on sleeves,,,
Although a slip-on Hogue for my LC9 tamed it as well.

The one for the LCP needs a pin to be driven out,,,
That pin when reinserted holds the grip adapter to the gun.

It just might change your mind about the gun,,,
I know it sure helped me out.

Aarond

Old 11-08-2019, 04:37 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am still happy, some years on, that I replaced my Iver Johnson TP22 with the Ruger LCP. It is not intended to be a fun range toy but a defensive tool. I broke it in to have confidence and shoot it from time to time to make sure nothing has changed. For its intended purpose the 380 (with the 'correct' ammo) is FAR more effective than any 22rf and it takes up no more space to carry; and small enough to be truly edc.
But, to be clear, Im not knocking your choices.
Mine has the grip sleeve (cheap import off Amazon) and one mag with the oem mag base and one with the 'pinky base'. It hides better with the oem base but the pinky base makes for better grip/control.
Snappy little puppy with beans and hits where it is pointed. Id get another, if we were close Id probably buy that one off you.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post

Why I sold mine & bought another .380 - a Browning Model 1955, which is VERY pleasant to shoot.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:09 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Looks a lot like my 1922 Browning Officer Mdl. Classy old piece, solid and mine is quite accurate too; had a 50' indoor pocket-gun match when I was shooting NRA Bullseye, even with its tiny sights it did very well.
But for the size a modern 9 is a better choice, imo.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:26 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i understand , i have loved 22s since i was a kid , then in the late 70s i got persuaded to part with my firearms for the betterment of the family sorta , later when i cam to my senses i replaced everything and kept going from there , i love mine no matter how pristine or how battered and worn , they all are treasured ill never part with those again ,

more so than any of my big bore collections/accumulations , ill not part with most of these either , i love shooting SASS/CAS these days , i think im more attached to those older guns than my more modern ,
Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I'm partial to Colt Mustangs for a .380 carry pistol. Single action is much nicer to shoot, and I've never quite found a place in my heart for plastic framed guns.

Colt-Mustang-PL-SS.jpg
Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 PM
jackknife

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post

I purchased a grip pad made by Pachmeyer if I recall correctly,,,
The price was somewhere around $12.00 total,,,
Man what a difference it makes.

This wasn't one of the slip-on sleeves,,,
Although a slip-on Hogue for my LC9 tamed it as well.

The one for the LCP needs a pin to be driven out,,,
That pin when reinserted holds the grip adapter to the gun.

It just might change your mind about the gun,,,
I know it sure helped me out.

Aarond

It has the grip sleeve. I put it on after the first range session, didn't help. The recoil is just too much for senior citizen arthritic hands that spend a working life cranking on Mills and pushing lathe handles.

None of my .22 revolvers bother me, so the NAA mini's and S&W 63 and S&W 317 will just have to do for me if I need a handgun I can shoot good. I won't carry a gun that I don't practice with every week and at least 50 to 100 rounds at a time. By the time I shoot 50 rounds through the LCP, its a pain to sign my name on the range sign out sheet.

Its .22 and .22 magnum for me from now on.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:51 AM
Plinkhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can relate to your situation. If you want a bigger and heavier bullet with 22ish recoil try an S&W 32 Long. An old "I" frame S&W is compact and you can shoot 95 grain lead all day long...but if you don't reload the ammo can get pricey. The Kel-Tec P32 is a slightly more recoil if you want a deep conceal semi auto and that ammo is cheap by centerfire standards...$13 where I live.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hogue Handall grip on my lcp , vastly improves shoot ability.But these little guns are just get off me guns, not range guns. In a 22 , a revolver is probably the best carry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B5909834-BB2F-4DCD-9773-700B2F6CA23E.jpg (495.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-10-2019, 10:15 AM
jackknife

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Hogue Handall grip on my lcp , vastly improves shoot ability.But these little guns are just get off me guns, not range guns. In a 22 , a revolver is probably the best carry.
Your pic of your gun could've been of the one I just sold. Identical setup.

I liked the gun, but it was just too snappy for an arthritic old fart. I don't like to have a gun that I can't spend a lot of time on a range with. If I'm gong to carry a gun, then I take it seriously enough to practice a lot with it. The Ruger LCP was not that gun. It just hurt to much after a 50 round box to go shoot another 50 rounds on top of that. Most my shooting seasons are a few hundred rounds at a time.

If I by chance gt in a situation that its all going to be over in a few seconds and a few shots at a very close range, then I want to be carrying a gun that my hand wraps around like its second nature. A gun that I had used only a few days before. A gun that I use on a very regular basis.

I go tot he range at least every week, sometimes more. My S&W 63 and 317 get a lot of ammo through them. Mostly the 63. But the little NAA's get used at the end of every single range season. I put a few cylinders through them at 3 to 5 yards shooting at the half size B29 silhouette targets I get from the National Target Company. These measure like 11 inches by 22 inches in size, with the actual black part a little smaller. I figure if I can shoot pretty fast one handed at 3 to 5 yards and keep the rounds in the black I may be doing okay for a half crippled up old fart.

I was drawn t the LCP because like my NAA mini's, it was small enough to fit in my pants pocket with room to slip a hand in and have the gun actually in hand ready to pull if things look hincky. But the .380 in such a small light package is just to much for me, which is depressing because it makes me realize that I'm getting old and have to make concessions to the effects of age. I really hate that!

I guess I'll go make myself a toddy and go sitting the rocking chair.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird-Dog View Post
I'm partial to Colt Mustangs for a .380 carry pistol. Single action is much nicer to shoot, and I've never quite found a place in my heart for plastic framed guns.

Attachment 196671
I'm not a big fan of plastic guns, but----S&W did a great job with the Shield 380 Ez and they named it right. Everything about it is easy. The RIA Baby Rock is another 380 with mild recoil. It's basically a miniature 1911 and my favorite semi-auto handgun is a 1911.

I have arthritis in my wrist and it's done away with me shooting anything with hard recoil but neither of these pistols cause me any pain at all. I shoot both to the same point of aim and with the same accuracy.

A friend showed me his brand new Browning 380, another miniature 1911, last Saturday. It's very nice but I didn't get to shoot it.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:01 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I strayed from 22's, and have finished up with 32 as a "second standard."

I found the 380 too snappy in a Beretta 84, and now have a Beretta 81 in 32ACP that is fabulous. I also have a Sauer & Sohn in 32ACP, and a Single Seven in 327Federal Magnum that can go all the way down to mouse-fart 32 Wadcutters if you just want to be gentle.