Biathalon 7-2 new bottom metal for chassis - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Biathalon 7-2 new bottom metal for chassis

I posted a few pictures a while back of my Izhmash Biathalon in its new ARS http://www.accurateriflesystems.com/...-tactical-prs/ Chassis. Joe made this up for me which I'm extremely grateful for squeezing this into his busy schedule. I got a call saying it was ready but once getting there Mason (his computerized programming CNC guru) said he never had time to finish up a trigger guard for it that gave it a finished look.

The safety on these guns is located in the front of the trigger guard and push forward and backward. Although it's really a neat spot to have it, it's a real pain when you toss the gun up against a bag or barracade and it gets bumped to safe and you don't see it. Can't count how many times my Son and myself cycled thru a few rounds thinking we had some type of jam (which these guns never do) and found the safety or the exposed bar was bumped on.

ARS used one of their trigger guards from one of their other rimfires designs and although functional it's wasn't their finished product for this chassis. They let me take it home saying they would try to work on a new design for the next one they made. I tried making a mag well that covered the safety slide and also make it easy to feed a mag in since this gun was built for PRS/NRL competition which I'm terrible at so far.

I just couldn't get it to fit the way I wanted butting it up against the existing trigger guard. I'm no where even close to being a machinist, more of a hacker that removes metal till I get kinda what I want, so no jabbing me about poor fit/finnish or design but it works and serves the purpose. Tried it last weekend and it performed flawlessly.

Will try to post pictures somewhat in order with a brief description. I asked Joe if he wanted mine to copy since I want another one for my Son and a buddy wants a chassis for his newly acquired Biathalon. Haven't heard back yet but it'll probably be Winter when he is able to run the other two chassis.

These things are extremely accurate and function flawlessly with no misfires or fail to feed/extract yet. Not picky on ammo either, I'm presently using Geco Rifle and for the PRS sized targets if it misses it's me not being able to find a steady shooting position, not the guns fault.

Original trigger guard from ARS which left a big area exposed.

Magwell/bottommetal extension I made first to cover up the open area.

Cover lying in position but thinking I didn't like it that way.

New one piece bottom metal.

Old pieces with New piece to compare.

New trigger guard area without the extra unneeded machined areas.

New magwell area with cutout for magrelease.

Machined area to accept AR style grips and rear action screw.

Finished view of the bottom.

Finished view from the side.

I removed my safety since we are either shooting or have action open with a chamber flag inserted. I do think it's possible to incorporate the safety easily into the front of the trigger guard and machine a slight concave in front and rear part of the guard but for PRS/NRL I think a bag or as you are moving positions in barricades it could get bumped.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 09-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:14 PM
iceweazel
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nifty.

Not familiar with PRS rules. They do not require a working manual safety?
Old 09-03-2019, 05:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Far as I know it's bolt open for a movement, semi-auto has to click on safe and yell safe before moving.

Some of the aftermarket 700 triggers don't have a safety.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 09-03-2019 at 05:29 PM.