Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:40 PM
FlatlanderIA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Blown case necks!

Hello friends- I am shooting a CZ 455 Varmit. It’s a new gun and so far 17 of 137 of my 17hmr cases are ruptured. That’s about 11%! That is a mix of 3 brands- federal, CCI, hornady and all newly manufactured in last 6 months. Contacted CZ and they blame the ammo and basically did were not concerned ( said it’s how 17hmr is and doesn’t affect accuracy or safety) Should I be? Should send the rifle back to CZ to check the specs? Interested to hear your input.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:05 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
When you say blown do you mean cracked or split? If so its a fairly common problem on some .17hmr's, but I've not had one on my CZ's nor Anschutz nor Sako or Tikka.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:38 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Here are 100 examples of 17 HMR split cases with a Hornady or CCI head-stamp from three different rifles (CZ & Steyr). Interestingly enough - none of the Federal Premium TNT 17 gr rounds have ever produced a split case. I went the route of contacting CCI and basically was told the same thing . . . it's not a problem however, they did reference split cases due to improper anneiling when the case is downsized from 22 WMR.

I tend to average around 15% split cases - CCI A17 being the worst offender both in split cases (18) and Extreme Spread of nearly 400 fps from a box of 50.

I also have a 17 HMR barrel for my Sake Quad Range, but have not shot it at this point however, expect similar results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCI-Split-Cases-1.jpg (491.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg CCI-Split-Cases-2.jpg (488.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by rjferber; 06-06-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Improved Images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 07:52 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
split necks

We saw a few in our CZ 452s but not enough to make me keep track or even look for them any more. I don't even watch for them from my 10/22M .17 HMR conversion. I don't see it as a problem. Of course a gun manufacturer is going to blame it on the ammo. Otherwise they'd have to do something about it.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 PM
plumas
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very curious, the rifle brands mentioned in the posts are certainly top tier. If it was just one rifle I'd guess it had a loose chamber allowing over expansion, but since the posts declare issues with several rifles and brands? Gotta be the ammo, but why is it not happening to everyone?

I am new to 17HMR, have a new T-Bolt, over 1500 rounds through it past the 6 months mostly CCI maybe 200 rounds Hornady...have yet to see a split case. I pick up my brass and look...just not happening to me, yet. Bought all ammo in one purchase so maybe I just lucked out...who's to say.

Have any of that ammo left?...maybe a friend could shoot it up in a different rifle for a comparison...if the same % occurs then its gotta be the ammo lot.
Still, disappointed with CCI's response.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:18 PM
FlatlanderIA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do mean split cases right in the lower neck/ shoulder area but not extending below the shoulder much if at all. CZ says not an issue if it doesn’t extend below the shoulder area which none of mine do and if there is no black carbon which I also don’t see. They said they have tight chambers on their guns. They did offer to send it in but don’t think that would do much good. I only have maybe 150 rounds through this new 455 varmit and I see the best 50yd accuracy with the federal 17hmr. Maybe I will Talley the brand on the split cases.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:01 PM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I knew about this issue and have checked mine and never seen a split neck.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:13 PM
accooper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would think that in the short run, it probably won't be a problem. BUT over the long run it could be. The reason being is that when the case splits, super hot gases do a blow torch kinda thing, and it could cause damage to the chamber.

I have seen this happen to .223 Remington rifles that were used with 5.56 government ammo and the case necks were not annealed enough. This is no longer a problem since the introduction of properly annealed case necks. That was back in the 1970s.

I don't own nor have I shot a 17 rim fire, but I have seen way too many split 17 rim firs cases.

accooper
Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never had a split case or even a dud round with 17HMR but all my ammo is several years old. I stocked up and then my prairie dog well went dry from plague and I would guess, some poison.

Has anyone had any problems with the A-17 ammo. I've read where it seems to be more accurate than most of the others and would like to try it. The local farm & ranch supply has it on the shelf at the same price as all the on line suppliers.

There are still plenty of jackrabbits to hunt and I have some gongs that need killing.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Bullberry17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 split cases

Most of my experience with split cases was from Winchester ammo, when used in my Savage 93 , switched to A 17 no more issues. I haven't experienced any split cases in my Handi rifle 17 or my Bullberry 17 Contender pistol barrel.I think it has to due to the chamber dimensions, but I'm not an engineer.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:04 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went to the range this morning. At my favorite bench there was a lot of 17 HMR brass laying around. There was also an empty A17 ammo box in the trash can and no other 17 HMR containers visible so I suppose the brass was A17 brass. I checkes numerous cases and found no splits.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I've got about 2,500 rnds through my CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR. Mostly A17 and Hornady. I haven't had a single split case since I've owned the rifle. And I pick up every piece of brass I fire at my range so I do see them all.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:21 PM
plumas
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With all the various comments...some with no splits, others with lots of splits, what is going on?

I suppose there is no 'final answer' as to why this happens or how to predict when it might, or is there something out there in print? If so I'd sure like to see it or get a link to it.

Anyone know of any organized sort of survey that shows rifle brand or ammo brand that is most likely to be involved?

To my knowledge since no one has actually blown up a 17 HMR rifle it may never really get the technical attention from the big boy manufacturers to solve this issue.

I mean, if it was a centerfire cartridge with such a track record of factory ammo splitting I'd think the labs and SAAMI would be all over it.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:37 AM
1813Anschutz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I've got about 2,500 rnds through my CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR. Mostly A17 and Hornady. I haven't had a single split case since I've owned the rifle. And I pick up every piece of brass I fire at my range so I do see them all.
That's my own experience as well.....with over 4000 rounds in my CZ 452. I had never heard of or seen such a thing until this thread!

Randy
Old 06-09-2019, 08:53 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Never heard of split necks with 17hmr?

Very easy to comprehend.
Learn how 17 hmr ammo is made.
Pay attention to annealing and work hardening of brass.
Think about the process of necking down.
Then remember it's CCI and Winchester.