Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:31 PM
USAFA71

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SA-22 Red Dot

I have an SA-22 purchased in 1964 when my father was stationed overseas, with the wheel-type rear sight. I recently sent it to Browning for an overhaul(new springs, recrown barrel). I was going to buy another semi-auto 22 to put a red dot on for range use, but decided to try using the SA-22. The problem is finding a red dot that will fit the 3/8” groove on the receiver. I have a Bushnell and Tasco red dot, but they are 30mm tubes, and all the 3/8” rings I have found are for 1”.

Another option is to find a Weaver/Picatinny rail that will fit and allow use of standard rings on either the Tasco or Bushnell red dot.

I am looking for any input from anyone as to a red dot that will fit the 3/8” grooves on the receiver, or any scope base/ mount that will also work. There used to be a scope mount that replaced the front sight that extended over the receiver, but I haven’t seen one for a while. Appreciate any input from the membership!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:48 PM
berettaprofessor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Google "red dot rimfire rail" and you'll come up with several. I know Tasco/Bushnell makes a rimfire specific red dot that will fit the rails and is not costly, but it's got a 5 MOA dot and you won't like it. NcStar makes a reflex-type that fits. There are others.

I personally don't like the look of a reddot on the sa-22, so I chose a scope, initially a 4X32.

Both Browning and Leupold make cantilever mounts for the SA-22. I like the Leupold one because it's solid steel and you can leave the rear sight in place beneath it, but it uses dovetail rings.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:54 PM
shootbrownelk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFA71 View Post
I have an SA-22 purchased in 1964 when my father was stationed overseas, with the wheel-type rear sight. I recently sent it to Browning for an overhaul(new springs, recrown barrel). I was going to buy another semi-auto 22 to put a red dot on for range use, but decided to try using the SA-22. The problem is finding a red dot that will fit the 3/8” groove on the receiver. I have a Bushnell and Tasco red dot, but they are 30mm tubes, and all the 3/8” rings I have found are for 1”.

Another option is to find a Weaver/Picatinny rail that will fit and allow use of standard rings on either the Tasco or Bushnell red dot.

I am looking for any input from anyone as to a red dot that will fit the 3/8” grooves on the receiver, or any scope base/ mount that will also work. There used to be a scope mount that replaced the front sight that extended over the receiver, but I haven’t seen one for a while. Appreciate any input from the membership!
Palmetto State Armory has a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 for $119.00 & free shipping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 10:31 PM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would one of these work?

https://leapers.com/index.php?act=pr...no=MNT-DT2PW01
Old 04-30-2019, 01:21 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Amazon, from $8 up
Old 04-30-2019, 09:47 AM
USAFA71

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Didn’t see anything on the Bushnell site but will try again.
Roddy- thanks for the link to the Leapers mounts. Will give them a try, and never would have found them on my own! Really appreciate it.
Already have the Romeo 5, from PSA. It’s sitting on my Ruger Blackhawk Hunter in 41 Magnum at the moment, but that may change!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:43 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can always use a 1" tube style red dot with 1" 22 rings. I've setup a couple rimfire this way using an Ultradot 25.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:10 PM
Jodwillow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reproduction 3/4", 4X "Baby Redfield Westerner .22 scope

The Baby Redfield Westerner scope was also marketed under the Browning name, specifically for the SA-22--need I say more?

At a little over 9", and with that 3/4" tube it's a perfect answer for those who feel regular scopes are too big for the slim style of the SA-22.

The scope is sold by Gru-Bee - it's called the Wolf Pup and comes with a choice of 3/8" dovetail or Weaver style mounts, with a choice of PCH (post cross hair) or 2 styles of Duplex reticle. A simple device, it's fixed 4X power is a direct re-production of the vintage Redfield.

Already ordered one for my just ordered SA-22, Grade II/III octagon barrel beauty!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:14 PM
Jodwillow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gru-Bee Wolf Pup scope

I forgot---best price is on Gru-Bee website-also available on ebay for $15 more!