Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:05 PM
rahl07

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tikka T1X or CZ 457

Hey guys; I posted in the .17 HMR section because I couldn't find a general .22LR thread. Basically, this is my conundrum: Which model to buy. The price is very similar for both models as long as you don't go too wild on the "trim level" of the CZ. The gist is that I want a .17 HMR field rifle, and a .22LR bench rifle that are similar. So far these are the two that I'm really interested in.

It basically looks like it comes down to:

1) Do I want the versatility of the T1X and its ability to use the T3x accessories, or

2) Do I want the ease of barrel changes that the CZ offers

For those of you who have handled both, which one behaves better out of the box?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:56 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't handled either, but you should note that the barrel on the Tikka is just as easy to remove as the CZ. Nonetheless, you can find aftermarket barrels for the CZ right now, notably the Lilja, but there are no aftermarket barrels right now for the Tikka. Good luck on your choice!
Old 04-15-2019, 06:58 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Take note of how the headspace is set on the Tikka plus the mags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I have a T1x in .17hmr, put it head to head with my CZ455 Stainless .17hmr (both new and unfired), at a 25 yard indoor range the Tikka shaded the CZ handily. A while later the Tikka was one of three rifles taken to my Club along with my CZ457 in .22lr. The CZ kicked its butt handily, proving nothing really. I'd switched the Tikka to 20gr Gamepoints and at time at least it showed no love for them, switching back to 17gr. Vmax loads narrowed the gap but the 457 Varmint still handily beat it. The Tikka was shooting 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards and the CZ 3/8's regularly.

Plenty of testing ahead for the Tikka to get its revenge I'm sure, both are excellent rifles.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 AM
rahl07

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I reviewed the receiver on the T1X, looks like the barrel is held in place with three set screws in a line. Lilja has apparently already stated they're not making a prefit for the Tikka, but since it's such simple geometry any gunsmith should be able to take a decent blank like a Shilen and make it work, right?

On a purely cosmetic note, I like the flat nitride black on the 457 a little better than the glossier finish on the T1X. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 AM
rahl07

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Also wkd, what about the mags? Did I miss something?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM
LatLongLost
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I got both in 17HMR, the CZ being a 457 American. Both are scoped with Weaver GS 4-16x44 Varmint EB-X (at Mr Signalman1’s suggestion). Both are bone stock and have only about 500 rounds through them with various ammo brands and bullet weights.

The jury is still out as to what ammo is best for each rifle.

It’s no help to you but to me they both shoot almost the same at 50 yards - under 1” for 10 shots, on a good weather day, no wind with a good lot of ammo. I like the “warmth” of the wood stock on the CZ but realize that for hunting in the brush, forest, rain or heat/cold the synthetic stock on the T1X may be a better choice.

Aftermarket accessory availability goes to CZ - by far. Yet, many vendors, machinists and RFC guys/gals are making parts for the Tikka. You Tube has a thread (vendor) for Tikka shooters.

Lastly, IMHO I’m not excited for switch barrel rifles. If I want the same rifle in a different caliber I just go out and buy another CZ / Tikka rifle. That way I can take a couple of rifles out with the grandkids, each shooting a different rifle. I guess that’s why I have three safes in the garage!

I can’t tell you how many Tikka & CZ rifles I have because my wife regularly reads RFC too!! (6 Tikka's & 8 CZ’s!)

No matter what your choice enjoy your new rifle!
Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahl07 View Post
Also wkd, what about the mags? Did I miss something?
They protrude way out the bottom, would make carrying the rifle a bit odd plus they just don't look good IMO.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:45 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
They protrude way out the bottom, would make carrying the rifle a bit odd plus they just don't look good IMO.
LOL
Old 04-17-2019, 10:13 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
LOL
How insensitive, don't you know it's not polite to laugh at ugly rifles?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
How insensitive, don't you know it's not polite to laugh at ugly rifles?
I know, sorry, just couldn't help myself. I will try to do better.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:04 PM
stockranger

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
cz doesn't exactly have a flush mag either and the gun tends to balance right on the mag making one handed carry annoying. I was disappointed that tikka didn't make the barrels the same length and contour as the centerfire guns. Thought it would be a perfect trainer, but really no interest now.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:32 PM
prairie maggot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are after a 17hmr, I believe that make and model matter less than if you are after a 22lr. I have both Tikka and CZ in 22lr. I have likes and dislikes about each. I keep in mind that they are both sporting rifles and neither is a bench rest rifle. In 17hmr, I have both CZ and Savage. They shoot about the same, but I really like shooting the CZ where as I have no emotional connection to the Savage. It has a lot to do with the feel of the wood stock on the CZ, the general workmanship, the good magazine, and the balance for shooting in the field. Accuracy is secondary as the 17hmr is a generally accurate round and shoots well in most rifles - CZ, Savage, Tikka, Marlin, Anschutz, etc. When it comes to 22lr, I think that my Tikka is a tad bit more accurate out of the box, but I enjoy shooting the CZ better. Part of it boils down to how you intend to use the rifle - stalking tree squirrels, plinking cans, shooting targets in competition, walking through the sagebrush shooting rabbits, etc. My CZ 22lr (3 of them) are all training rifles with open tangent sights. I love shooting them with open sights. One wears a Weaver GS 4-16x and is just very satisfying to shoot. It took a very small amount of work to get it to shoot excellent (trigger, bedding, torque actions screws, etc) Its shoots maybe 1/16 to 1/8 larger groups at 50 yards than does my T1x. That is really nothing in a field carry rifle and it is lighter and better balanced than my T1x. My T1x sports a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-24x. It is accurate and took less to shoot tight groups than did my CZ. They are equally well built - They are just different. Like a good father, I spend alone time with each of them and enjoy them both for what they are. You can't go wrong with either one. Which one speaks to your heart when you handle it? How are you going to use it most? In the end, this is not a marriage. You are not stuck with it until death do you part. And, you may eventually end up with both, so just start with one and love it the best you can. If it doesn't connect with your soul (like my savage) wish it well and send it down the road. Let us know what you decide, why you made your decision and how it shoots. Burt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190422_173509.jpg (500.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by prairie maggot; 04-22-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie maggot View Post
If you are after a 17hmr, I believe that make and model matter less than if you are after a 22lr. I have both Tikka and CZ in 22lr. I have likes and dislikes about each. I keep in mind that they are both sporting rifles and neither is a bench rest rifle. In 17hmr, I have both CZ and Savage. They shoot about the same, but I really like shooting the CZ where as I have no emotional connection to the Savage. It has a lot to do with the feel of the wood stock on the CZ, the general workmanship, the good magazine, and the balance for shooting in the field. Accuracy is secondary as the 17hmr is a generally accurate round and shoots well in most rifles - CZ, Savage, Tikka, Marlin, Anschutz, etc. When it comes to 22lr, I think that my Tikka is a tad bit more accurate out of the box, but I enjoy shooting the CZ better. Part of it boils down to how you intend to use the rifle - stalking tree squirrels, plinking cans, shooting targets in competition, walking through the sagebrush shooting rabbits, etc. My CZ 22lr (3 of them) are all training rifles with open tangent sights. I love shooting them with open sights. One wears a Weaver GS 4-16x and is just very satisfying to shoot. It took a very small amount of work to get it to shoot excellent (trigger, bedding, torque actions screws, etc) Its shoots maybe 1/16 to 1/8 larger groups at 50 yards than does my T1x. That is really nothing in a field carry rifle and it is lighter and better balanced than my T1x. My T1x sports a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-24x. It is accurate and took less to shoot tight groups than did my CZ. They are equally well built - They are just different. Like a good father, I spend alone time with each of them and enjoy them both for what they are. You can't go wrong with either one. Which one speaks to your heart when you handle it? How are you going to use it most? In the end, this is not a marriage. You are not stuck with it until death do you part. And, you may eventually end up with both, so just start with one and love it the best you can. If it doesn't connect with your soul (like my savage) wish it well and send it down the road. Let us know what you decide, why you made your decision and how it shoots. Burt
Burt sir very good advice and well said. I like wood and blue for me.

Signalman
Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 PM
rahl07

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Throwing more wood on the fire, too: has anyone shot a Lithgow LA101? they look to be about double the price of the two models I posted, but I think the three-lug rear-locking bolt is neat as hell, if a bit unnecessary.