Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 AM
17VLD
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thinking about a Summit in 17WSM....

Was hoping Volquartsen would build one,I assume the action on the current semi auto 17WSM is slightly larger than the 10/22 size used for the 17M2/22LR.It might take a little bit of engineering but I would think people in states that restrict semi autos for hunting might appreciate the larger more powerful case in the Summit platform and perhaps be able to use what appears to me to be a very nice firearm.
I did call them and ask but got the typical join Facebook and get on our email list and we will announce any new offerings via that medium.Dont get me wrong,she was a very nice young lady but I really wonder if this idea makes any sense or who else would buy one.I sure would.I suppose I could try and practice restraint when in dog town with a semi auto,but probably won’t happen
Matt
Old 02-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never even seen a p-dog but, my 17HMR with V-Max will graphically explode a 3# white snowshoe hare's noggin.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:35 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Was hoping Volquartsen would build one,I assume the action on the current semi auto 17WSM is slightly larger than the 10/22 size used for the 17M2/22LR.It might take a little bit of engineering but I would think people in states that restrict semi autos for hunting might appreciate the larger more powerful case in the Summit platform and perhaps be able to use what appears to me to be a very nice firearm.
I did call them and ask but got the typical join Facebook and get on our email list and we will announce any new offerings via that medium.Dont get me wrong,she was a very nice young lady but I really wonder if this idea makes any sense or who else would buy one.I sure would.I suppose I could try and practice restraint when in dog town with a semi auto,but probably won’t happen
Matt
Don't know much about the Summit, but, FYI, the VQ semiauto is MUCH larger and heavier than the 10/22 platform. I think that's what you would want on a dedicated PD rifle, though.

I do think it is about time some enterprising entity comes out with a nice bolt action .17 WSM. I know the magazine is probably the biggest obstacle, but Ruger and Savage somehow managed, and a 527 .17 Hornet magazine would get one very close, with a tad bit of reverse engineering. I think I might even go for a single shot bolt action, if I could mount a benchrest-level trigger on it.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 02-20-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 06:59 AM
17VLD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a response

Scott from Volquartsen responded to my suggestion for a 17HMR and a 17WSM on the Summit platform,he said that they are doing this and we should see them hopefully by end of year,this makes me happy and is great news for 17WSM owners.
I also spoke with CCI and they said they will discuss the 17WSM at their next meeting.I look forward to what the future holds for the 17WSM,as better ammo comes along I feel that better guns will naturally follow.
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 02-21-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:22 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
17wsm Summit. That'd be cool.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:33 PM
Sieg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Considering the Summit in Mach2 caused their redesigned action to fail numerous times and they had to redesign/strengthen it again...… they'll need to beef the current action design up substantially to handle the WSM.

Not sure how the biathlon style action will handle ejecting the substantially larger bottle necked cases either.

I just wish a company like Tikka or CZ would product a GOOD bolt action WSM rifle because the cartridge is very effective on sage rats.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:47 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VQ just needs some inspiration to build it. Certain lots of ammo would allow the Summit to shine.
https://volquartsen.com/products/1282-summit-rifle
Old 02-22-2019, 06:48 AM
17VLD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wish.....

For a CZ,Sako,Annie,or Tikka as well.I have a feeling the European companies are taking a wait and see attitude on the 17WSM,which I can’t really blame them for.
I am a bit surprised that it is taking so long however.I guarantee if they made them we would buy them.I am thankful that Volquartsen has embraced the idea of taking the 17WSM to the next level by offering more choices and am pretty sure it will be well thought out and built.I will show my support and buy a 17WSM Summit when available and if a bigger beefier Quad or CZ comes along in the future I will be an owner as well.I am surprised Cooper hasn’t followed suit ala Savage and Ruger,perhaps down the road.Perhaps some perceive the gap between the 17HMR and the 17Hornet as not needing to be filled.I think the space between them is filled nicely with the 17WSM.We may not absolutely need another rimfire cartridge,but it sure appeals to me.
Matt
Old 02-22-2019, 10:43 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I agree and am similarly grateful to VQ for taking on the monumental task, and risk, of developing an all new rifle and magazine, a semiauto no less, for the new round. Same to Savage, really.

This would be a natural for Cooper, given its history of producing single-shot rifles in unusual calibers, even really esoteric wildcats. The M-38 would be the perfect platform for a single-shot .17 WSM, but, unfortunately, Cooper just announced its discontinuation as of Jan 1 of this year .

I always assume the biggest obstacle is the magazine, since the testing can take months, and tooling for a sheet-metal, or even an injection molded, magazine can get very expensive. Yet, Savage, Ruger, Franklin, and Volquartsen all stepped up, and, as mentioned, the 527 .17 Hornet magazine would already be close. If I were to attempt to make a bolt action, repeating .17 WSM (something I am really considering), I think I would buy two or three of the VQ magazines, base the action on them, and be done with it.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 02-22-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:11 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Matt
Hmm not even sure what a summit is. I had to look it up. This must be what he is talking about.

Its a bolt action rim fire. So you want a bolt action .17 wsm version of this?

Yea I don't know why they don't make one they have ever other rimfire in it.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:30 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
For a CZ,Sako,Annie,or Tikka as well.I have a feeling the European companies are taking a wait and see attitude on the 17WSM,which I can’t really blame them for.
I am a bit surprised that it is taking so long however.

I guarantee if they made them we would buy them.
I'm not sure what this looks like from a companies perspective. You guarantee "We" will buy them without stating how many people "we" actually is. I know "you" would buy one.

Maybe "We" has to be 10,000 people, or 20,000 buyers. I don't have any idea how big the current "We" is. Maybe the 17wsm buyers are such as small percentage of the market its just not worth it for a company to do it.

When you are one of the "We" you might assume "everyone" thinks like the "We".

But sadly that just might not be true.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
VQ just needs some inspiration to build it. Certain lots of ammo would allow the Summit to shine.
https://volquartsen.com/products/1282-summit-rifle
Certain lots of ammo make my Bmag shine too. I'm thinking no matter how well you make the gun the ammo will limit it.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:12 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Considering the Summit in Mach2 caused their redesigned action to fail numerous times and they had to redesign/strengthen it again...… they'll need to beef the current action design up substantially to handle the WSM.
Even if they did make a wsm I would wait a year to see. Not good they made a gun that could not stand up to a mach2.

Right now the best .17 wsm bolt is probably the Ruger. That 77 series action is strong, built well. The short barrel version is the one I would want.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Drumie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I feel the Ruger is 3rd in quality for the WSM rifles. I have the Ruger, the Savage the VQ and the Franklin Armory. In quality the order is VQ, Franklin, Ruger and then Savage. The Ruger needs work to get it to shoot well, bedding and trigger work, but it is a very good rifle after.
I have 2 of the PWS actions, before VQ bought them out. They are great actions. And if VQ makes one in WSM I will be getting one right a way.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 PM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree. But.... I did say best "Bolt" 17 WSM those others are semi autos.