Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:04 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

I don't see it happening.
CCI and Winchester already sell all the rimfire they can make.
No interest in increasing expenses for minimal returns.
Eley , Lapua and RWS cover the match quality 22lr thoroughly.
They don't need to compete with the market for hunting ammo.
CCI and Winchester have no interest in upping their quality control
in order to produce ammo for the serious rimfire competitors.
Why should they bother with the time and effort/investment,
when anyone with basic skills can reload centerfire cartridges
to a level of quality that mass production can't equal.
Plenty of small bore cartridge components available for the serious shooters.

Last edited by jaia; 10-31-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:48 AM
sof
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Regarding jaia's above post, I have in the past posted that my gun and others seem to consistently prefer one brand or another even though I'm aware that all except Winchester come from CCI. To me that meant that the ammo was being made differently ie. to different specs for different labels or brands and that it was not just the luck of the draw in getting a lot that your gun 'likes'. I called them a while ago and a generic customer rep told me that I was correct in my different specs for different brands theory. That backed Chuck Hawk's article and a couple of others I have read where in rating 17hmr ammos, they found differences in accuracy and attributed it to the brand as well as bullet type and weight.

I just got off the phone with CCI and this time I pestered the first rep with this question until they transferred me to another rep who knew more about this specific issue. I am not the least bit embarrassed to report that Jaia is once again correct. When pressed, the rep stated that the brands were different, but when pressed further, he was talking about different bullet types and weights and not such things as specific powders, concentricity check, powder charge variations etc., specifically for specific manufacturers, in other words he meant possible variations for one lot vs. another. By the way he mentioned that the powder might be different in a different run of bullets!

To sum it up, it is indeed the luck of the draw as to which brand your gun shoots better. Find the weight and bullet type that works best for that rifle and cross your fingers when you buy. All the more reason to hope that someone decides to market a match grade 17. I will post this as a new thread under 17 hmr ammunition because I think it's definitive information as to the current state of affairs and we all want to know this.

Good call jaia!
Old 11-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm glad I read your entire above post before I blew it off.

I've been saying the same thing for the last 8 years.
The only difference between the different brands of CCI produced .17hmr is the label, and the color of the tip colors.

Now that of course means like for like.
TNT=TNT, and V-Max=V-Max, and so on.

Now the powder difference is just referring to the different mega batches of powder that they recieve from the powder manufactures.
They run tests on each of those batches, and adjust the load accordingly.

Bulk powder is not as highly controlled as the powder that we all use for reloading.

Having said all this, both of my Anschutz .17hmrs (1717 & 1727F) have produced on average, with many different batches of CCI TNT and CCI Gamepoints, very nice small groups.
Evidence to back up the above statement is available upon request.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 11-01-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 05:33 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post

Now the powder difference is just referring to the different mega batches of powder that they recieve from the powder manufactures.
They run tests on each of those batches, and adjust the load accordingly.

Bulk powder is not as highly controlled as the powder that we all use for reloading.

Having said all this, both of my Anschutz .17hmrs (1717 & 1727F) have produced on average, with many different batches of CCI TNT and CCI Gamepoints, very nice small groups.
Evidence to back up the above statement is available upon request.

Smooth
Something very important was just posted here, the statement about the "mega batches of powder". It's dead on correct.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:03 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Needs about 80 lbs of powder to manufacture 100,000 17hmr cartridges.
Probably Lil Gun...
Old 11-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Macc

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
jaia,

Thanks for the great information on HMR and others. I wish I would have had your information years ago and I would have been less frustrated with my shooting ability and rifles over the years. What rifle are you shooting for your HMR?
Old 11-02-2018, 06:21 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Started out as a CZ 455 Varmint.
Added a CZ set trigger, replaced the stock with a custom barrel block rig.
Lilja heavy barrel with a Mueller 8-32X44 target scope.

The 455 Son of Fuglie.

Free floated barrels are only a suggestion, not a rule.

Last edited by jaia; 11-02-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:59 PM
RED HORSE
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot mine first time in several years this afternoon. Anschutz 1717D Heavy Barrel and at out new indoor range consistently achieved 1/2" groups at 100 yrds using two different lots of ammunition, one Remington 17 gr ballistic tip and one CCI FMJ.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:40 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED HORSE View Post
Shot mine first time in several years this afternoon. Anschutz 1717D Heavy Barrel and at out new indoor range consistently achieved 1/2" groups at 100 yrds using two different lots of ammunition, one Remington 17 gr ballistic tip and one CCI FMJ.
That is nice. I haven't seen any Remington 17 HMR for sale around where I live but this is the second time "that I remember" where someone shot great with it.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 AM
Wyocaddis
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you have to have a 17 then get a hornet roll your own and can get .5 at 100yds. or under consistently. Have a Little CZ 527 American that is awesome lol as long as wind is kept to a minimum. After owning the Hornet will never own a HMR again.

P.S. It doesn't foul barrels nearly as bad as it's two bigger brothers either.

Last edited by Wyocaddis; 11-04-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:33 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Folks would do well to investigate the differences between canister grade and non-canister powders and then find out what the big manufacturers use.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:56 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyocaddis View Post
If you have to have a 17 then get a hornet roll your own and can get .5 at 100yds. or under consistently. Have a Little CZ 527 American that is awesome lol as long as wind is kept to a minimum. After owning the Hornet will never own a HMR again.

I don't want another cartridge to reload at this time. I regularly reload .380, 9mm, 38 spl, .40, 10mm, 45acp, 300 blackout and 5.56. On occasion I reload 357mag, 45LC and 460 S&W.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:57 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Folks would do well to investigate the differences between canister grade and non-canister powders and then find out what the big manufacturers use.
Can you elaborate on the differences between the two?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:58 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
A somewhat simplistic explanation but a start.

http://www.firearmtutorials.com/inde...anister-powder

Try Googling "canister verses non-canister powders", some good discussions will come up.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:43 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyocaddis View Post

The little 17 Hornets will certainly spoil you, that is for sure. I have two CZ 527 Varmint model 17 Hornets and even with factory ammo, those little buggers just flat shoot very well. With 12.2gr 1680 and 20gr Vmax, mine both shoot amazingly well and will do so, round after round after round. There is no argument to make, the 17 Hornet ammo is just better.

BUT, having said all that, for high volume shooting were I'm plugging away at ground squirrels, anywhere from 200-500 rounds per day and at distances of 200 yds or less, the 17 rimfires are my preferred choice.