"Traditional" AR? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:07 PM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
I'd like a "slick-side" AR myself. Gene Stoner didn't see a need for the forward assist, and I didn't have one in basic.

Wish I had bought one of the original S&W Sport's without this feature. Now all of those have been modified nigh unto death.

I have a Colt M4 and a Mini-14, like them both. Just wishing for the one that got away.
My DPMS Sportical doesn't have a forward assist.

When I was in officer basic the M16 that was assigned to me had a serial number with an "XM" prefix. That was in 1977, so it had probably been rebuilt multiple times. It was a heavy SOB, as it had an M203 grenade launcher attached.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:59 PM
ntsqd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
That chrome gun is really sharp. I snapped this today of my heavy AR. Also got video of getting 3 shots off on a steel @ 400 yards, before the sound from the first impact got back. bang bang bang ring ring ring.
Whose forearm is that? I like it.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:02 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsqd View Post
Whose forearm is that? I like it.
http://6mmar.com/Parts___Accesories.html

The entire upper is from them, but it looks like they sell the handguard for a reasonable amount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018, 12:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
This is my AR with a Wilson Combat "Super Sniper" 1:8 twist barrel and a 3-shot group at 350 yards. The dot is 3/4 inch.

Nice. What ammo?
Old 10-03-2018, 02:12 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Nice. What ammo?
Thank you.

The load data is written below the dot. That barrel loves 69 grain bullets.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Doh. I should have paid more attention. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:03 AM
ntsqd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
http://6mmar.com/Parts___Accesories.html

The entire upper is from them, but it looks like they sell the handguard for a reasonable amount.
Thanks!
Old 10-04-2018, 08:27 PM
joycetim12839

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wood AR15 stock set

http://www.blackgunswood.com/

http://woodforar.com/

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/fire...series-nutmeg/

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/fire...series-pepper/

Black guns well worth the investment
Old 10-05-2018, 02:50 PM
shad7
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Traditional AR

In July of 1066 I joined the 1st Cav. we were issued the XM16E1 which had the forward assist, or bolt jammer as we called it. It also had the open three prong flash suppressor. I would love to find or build a tribute XM16E1, without select fire of course.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:28 PM
ntsqd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Something like:
https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...rod113314.aspx
+
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod113614.aspx ?
Old 10-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
"They didn't need the assist until the government in all their wisdom(?) insisted on changing the load to ball powder, then the malfunctions started. I don't mind the assist on my Sport II, it's there just in case."

It's there because the Army insisted soldiers needed "something to push on", and maybe because the Army was more than a little frustrated they were not in charge of the rifle's adoption. There's a thumb divot in the bolt a person can use for a case that needs a little nudge. The designer felt that if it needed more than that, it was better to get it out of there. There's an excellent book called The Black Rifle by R. Blake Stevens and Edward C. Ezell that discussed this on pages 126-130.

Please excuse typing errors, I had cataract surgery on one eye two days ago, and am having a little difficulty.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
"They didn't need the assist until the government in all their wisdom(?) insisted on changing the load to ball powder, then the malfunctions started. I don't mind the assist on my Sport II, it's there just in case."

Please excuse typing errors, I had cataract surgery on one eye two days ago, and am having a little difficulty.
I still push mine out of habit I guess. The F/A might've saved a life or two 50 yrs ago and we always pushed it then!

Your typing is fine Bob.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:51 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad7 View Post
In July of 1066 I joined the 1st Cav.
Hastings might have turned out differently if that were true.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:14 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
It's there (fwd assist) because the Army insisted soldiers needed "something to push on", and maybe because the Army was more than a little frustrated they were not in charge of the rifle's adoption.
As I recall, Sec. of Defense Robert Mcnamara pushed hard for the services to adopt the M-16. It was his pet and the Air Force finally caved to his demands. The Army didn't want it but finally gave in.

The demonstration we were given in March, 1965, after qualifying on the M-1 Carbine was by a USAF MSgt who stood 6'2" or more and weighed at least 225 pounds. A 55 gallon drum with an open top was filled with water to the brim. He unleashed a storm of shots from about 15 yards that caused the drum to shake and the water to shoot wildly into the air. It impressed some who were not familiar with firearms.

Then he demonstrated the rifle on full auto, stating beforehand that it wouldn't climb. The berm was only 25 yards away and about 10 feet high. He leaned his full weight into the rifle and fired. His last few rounds went over the berm.

That was the first time I'd seen or even heard of the M-16 and honestly I wasn't much impressed.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:13 PM
ntsqd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or a real Colt but bring your wallet: https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...24200-79489577

Having never had to use one of these rifles in any sort of fire-fight the FA makes no sense to me. Maybe it would if I had, but since I haven't I want whatever won't chamber to get out of the rifle - not to be trying to bang it further in. I can well appreciate what the frustration would be with a rifle that won't function in the middle of a fire-fight, but I'm curious how many have recently needed the FA while in a fire-fight? By recently I mean the various wars in the mid-east, not in Vietnam.