Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:38 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

drinva, not bad, 1.5 inch groups based on the target rings.
Have you tried it at 200 yards?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:53 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with others that ammo quality/consistency is the limiting factor with the .22 mag. Currently I have one rifle in that caliber, a CZ 452 with a 6.5 x 20 scope on it. That rifle is particularly accurate. No problem getting tight groups at 50 yds, a challenge at 100. The poly tip stuff is generally the most accurate out of my rifle. About all I will use at 100 yds. 1” groups or slightly better are fairly common, especially with 33 gr Rem Premiers. 40 grain loads don’t do nearly as well, but that is what I usually use as this is a hunting and pest control rifle.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:45 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinva View Post
Two different guns. 100 yards 10 shot groups CCI 40gr JHP, you be the judge.....

Savage A-22WMR

Marlin 883SS 22WMR

DR
DR.... I would say you have a couple of winners there. I have heard the Savages were good, but it looks like you have a Marlin with the good attributes.

I'd keep them in a safe at night! Wouldn't want to go searching for a run-a-way with some nefarious villain.

VH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2018, 11:54 AM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
drinva, not bad, 1.5 inch groups based on the target rings.
Have you tried it at 200 yards?
Unfortunately my range stops at 100 yards. I have not shot at 200 with them or any other to be honest.

varmit....

I special ordered the Marlin many years ago, I sleep with it on a regular basis Funny thing is I almost got rid of the Savage! The Savage just would not group anything when new. I ran several boxes of everything through it. After 4 range trips I was ready to trade it off. Took it one more time, it's 5th trip, and it settled in and started shooting what you see above and consistently shoots just like you see. I would not have believed it, had it not happened to me. As long as I don't screw up, I can plink golf balls at 100 nearly without fail.

Definitely both 2 of my favorite guns I own.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:47 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I opened this thread thinking I might find some info about which brand was most accurate. Imagine my surprise to find how many of you think .22 magnum is not an accurate round.
I shoot Lever Action Silhouette with a .22 magnum, as do a couple of hundred others. True, we don't need sub-moa accuracy, we need downrange energy and reasonable accuracy. The .22 Magnum fill that nicely in the Pistol Cartridge matches.
For years I shot a 25-20 rifle, but lately switched to the .22mag - 25-20 components are hard to find and I'm getting tired of reloading....22 Magnum fills the need.
So, I'm not going to tell my fellow lever gun shooters that the little magnum is not accurate - they won't believe me anyway.
M

Last edited by 41B; 09-04-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
For verminating and small game, it works fine.
Center of critter is a larger aimpoint than the 10 ring is at 100 yards.
For precision shooting at paper, it's limited by the distance attempted.
It was never intended to be used as a competition round.
As long as those limitations are understood, there's no problem.

As grandpappy said: Any rifle can hit a dime every time...if'n ya' get close enough.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:19 AM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41B View Post
I opened this thread thinking I might find some info about which brand was most accurate. Imagine my surprise to find how many of you think .22 magnum is not an accurate round.
I shoot Lever Action Silhouette with a .22 magnum, as do a couple of hundred others. True, we don't need sub-moa accuracy, we need downrange energy and reasonable accuracy. The .22 Magnum fill that nicely in the Pistol Cartridge matches.
For years I shot a 25-20 rifle, but lately switched to the .22mag - 25-20 components are hard to find and I'm getting tired of reloading....22 Magnum fills the need.
So, I'm not going to tell my fellow lever gun shooters that the little magnum is not accurate - they won't believe me anyway.
M
I don't think anyone here has said it is not a useful round.
But there is a difference between .5moa and 3moa. A 3moa gun might be 'accurate' for hunting or hitting plates...it isn't going to cut it in a benchrest competition.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:52 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
M
I also shoot a 22 magnum in lever action silhouette matches. My Winchester 9422M Legacy shoots 1.5" groups at 100 meters with a good batch of CCI 40gr TMJ.

The biggest challenge is getting good ammo. I had to wade thru a lot of junk before I found a decent batch of ammo.

I've come the conclusion that quality control of 22 magnum ammo has been a low priority for the manufacturers.

Last edited by CamP; 09-04-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:51 PM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
I've come the conclusion that quality control of 22 magnum ammo has been a low priority for the manufacturers.
Unfortunately I have too.
I'm a retired professional photographer - the camera makers don't make the cameras for pros - they make them for "Soccer Moms" who don't know the first thing about photography - but have heard th name.

I suspect rimfire ammo makers are similar. I've seen a significant change in quality since the great .22 shortage a few years ago.

When I reloaded the 25-20 I would weigh the bullets to sort out the over and under weight bullets. It was not unusual to go through 300 rounds to get 100 "match" weight bullets.

If you really want to make yourself angry - buy a rifle scope from eBay.

M
Old 09-04-2018, 06:17 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
M

This has become almost a mantra among many. I think it would help if we backed up and took a look at a few things. We can all agree that the quality of .22 WMR ammo is not what it needs to be for precision bench rest shooting. But, I will argue that if they quit making .22 LR target grade ammo, then I don't think the LR would be any better off. We keep comparing apples to oranges....sort of like the 1022 guys post over in the CZ forum and talk about how their Ruger 1022 is more accurate than their or someone else's CZ....and then proceed to tell about all the upgrades and modification. Apples and oranges. No offense to Ruger 1022 owners in general meant. If your argument is that a good LR gun shooting match grade ammo is more accurate than a good WMR shooting the best WMR ammo, then yes, no argument here. But it is not the gun's fault nor the cartridge design.

I do believe this.......given the same quality of ammo in the same quality of rifle, I would bet a great deal that one would see essentially the same degree of accuracy. As to saying that recent ammo is inferior to ammo produced before the ammo shortage, I don't know since I stocked up heavily on some cheap CCI FMJ and HP. That ammo easily beats MOA in my CZ.

But, I don't think the belief held my many that the WMR is just an inferior round the LR is going to go away anytime soon.

All my opinions of course.....

Last edited by pump .22s; 09-15-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 AM
K22
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Like another poster said, I wasn't going to post on this thread, but............... I agree with what about everyone who posted on here said. Literally.
50 rounds fired at one time with most any caliber will give about the same results from a hunting rifle using hunting ammo in about every caliber you want to choose. Some time back on a hunting forum a similar challenge was offered to centerfire shooters with much the same results, so what is discovered shooting 50 rounds from a 22 mag. at close to its maximum range of accuracy doesn't surprise me at all.
Getting a match chamber 22 lr. shooting match ammo to consistantly shoot to exact point of aim every shot is near impossible, throw in some higher velocity ammo and it becomes a very disappointing rifle.
And yes, I have a 22 mag. that is a pretty consistent .5 to .75 100yd. shooter with one particular brand of 22 mag. ammo. Like many others here, I went through several brands of rifles to find one that does. I stayed at the higher end of the 22mag. rifle arena, but hearing and seeing some Savage and Marlin results I should have rethought that one out. But I am more than satisfied with a Sako Quad 22 mag. that I own. Will it shoot 50 rounds in one setting into .5 to .75 groups? I doubt it, but then I doubt if any of my Predator calibers will either and they are very accurate as in 5 shot groups a dime will cover. Are those groups to the exact same point of aim every time I bench it? Nope! Close enough, but nope. But that is the same with every rifle I own. The groups move around a bit.
So one of my points is this, shooting 3 to 5 shot groups 10 times at different days at the same target will likely give me an over all group much larger than the said .5" to .75", but each 5 shot cluster will be within the stated amount. So the question becomes, is the rifle a .5" shooter or a 2" shooter? If 2", then the majority of rifles out there, centerfire or rimfire are 2" shooters based on 50 rounds in one setting.
Before anyone brings up the poorer quality of 22 mag. ammo, yes I have been aware of that since the mid 60's, but in 3 to 5 shot groups in some rifles it just isn't all that bad. I reload and am aware of powder consistencies, primer pockets, bullet seating, straight and turned necks ect., but the average reloaded hunting ammo doesn't go to those extremes and still produces pretty consistent .75" 3 to 5 round groups.
I've rambled on enough. In my opinion, both parties on this issue are correct.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:07 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have never been a 22mag person not because they arent accurate enough but because I never grew up around them. I have owned a few over the last few years but never hunted with them until now. I have a little Savage/Anschutz I picked up last winter that shoots just great and well within the parameters of a squirrel head at 50yds as well as what my eyes will allow. I may give this 50rd thing a try but with such a light barrel it will take me quite a while to do and not have a melt down.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:52 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdl002 View Post
This is my Marlin 25MN, the only thing that is still stock is the receiver, even the bolt has been modified, it may not count, and the new CCI SPEER GOLD DOTS shoot a little better, more consistent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Very good looking smoke pole you have there!

VH
Old 09-05-2018, 10:41 AM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While this thread was to challenge some members to shoot 50 rounds at 100 yards and I feel it would be interesting to see some results of members who have tried it. Some time back I started a thread asking which was your best cold bore or first shot rifle. Mine was a RAR 22 mag 22" barrel. As I said I would be interested in seeing some 50 shot groups but the 22 mag is a hunting round so the one that actually counts is the first one. If a rifle puts rounds 2 through 50 through the same whole but the first shot is a guessing game what good is it for hunting? JMO Also, it is a well known fact that some rifles will compensate for ammo velocity variations better than others. If the bullet is leaving the barrel while the barrel is moving upward poi on slower moving bullets will be closer to the faster bullets than if the bullets are leaving the barrel while it is moving down. I read an article once where Olympic shooters were experimenting with reverse taper barrels to compensate for velocity variations. When I bought my RAR I figured if it shot 1.5" at 100 yds. I would be happy. So far it has shot much better. On a calm day I have come to expect I can take it out of the case and shoot 3 through a 1 inch circle at 100 yds. If I were to go buy another just like it I would not expect to get one that shoots as good. Also since this thread is about ammo quality I have to admit I never got any lots that shoot poorly but if I do my expectations would change. One thing I don't do with my 22mag or 17wsm is buy ammo online. Since the ammo shortage ended when I need ammo for either I go to a local store and buy 1 box from a lot that is plentiful. I test it at the range and if it is good I go back and buy more. So as the op stated this ammo is inconsistent at times and I must agree or I wouldn't test fire before buying 500 rounds.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:33 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Professor Gary, you'd like to see some 50 shot groups?
I'm working on it. I've got all sorts of odd boxes of rimfire in the stash.
17 hmr, 22lr, 22wmr and now some 17 wsm.
Compare results with all 4 types of rimfire cartridges and brands.

50 at 200

I've still got about 30 or so boxes to go.
This will take a while to complete.