Rim separation - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnytoo View Post
gebosniper, I am glad you are alright. I was thinking that I was luck it was in a semi and not a bolt gun.
Lucky wascal wabbit!! I guess you know what to do with that lot# Win crap. Or... my route with Winchester; I had a partly fired box of bad $2 a rd cf Win ammo and they sent me 2 coupons worth $10 each, good only for Win products, after UPS or FedX picked it and my receipt up and they examined it. Winchester fart blossoms!! The only product of their's I use are 17WSM, under duress.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:51 PM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motovita View Post
I believe you will find that your CZ has an escape vent out the side of the action at the front of the bolt, as is common in modern bolt actions.
Yes it does but it did not vent all the gasses. I squeezed the trigger, heard a loud boom then felt a fire breathing dragon spewing hot lava in my face. When I opened my eyes there was smoke still coming out the back of the bolt. If my face would have been a 1/4" lower on the gun I might be blind in one eye.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:58 PM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Lucky wascal wabbit!! I guess you know what to do with that lot# Win crap. Or... my route with Winchester; I had a partly fired box of bad $2 a rd cf Win ammo and they sent me 2 coupons worth $10 each, good only for Win products, after UPS or FedX picked it and my receipt up and they examined it. Winchester fart blossoms!! The only product of their's I use are 17WSM, under duress.
Yes, I was very lucky! I decided to just shoot it up in my pistol to get some trigger time with it. Besides my face would not be so close to it and I wear eyes/ear pro when shooting the pistol. That batch of ammo was the worst I have ever shot. You didn't know if it was going to be a dud or an explosion. I used to really like Winchester rimfire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 03:09 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
You just made me decide to wear shooting glasses, Thanks!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:25 PM
bunnytoo
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
It was very reminiscent of the cartoons where Bugs blocked Elmer's gun barrel with his finger.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Jerryrig
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I read an account about the original Mauser design. It has the vent holes and the double lock system. It was all abut safety.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 PM
jnyork

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebosniper View Post
Yes it does but it did not vent all the gasses. I squeezed the trigger, heard a loud boom then felt a fire breathing dragon spewing hot lava in my face. When I opened my eyes there was smoke still coming out the back of the bolt. If my face would have been a 1/4" lower on the gun I might be blind in one eye.
Perhaps you will consider wearing safety glasses in the future ?
Old 08-16-2018, 04:13 PM
IHMSA80x80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As stated, probably caused by an out-of-battery discharge. One of many reasons to wear eye protection. I never shoot a gun, even an airgun, without eye and ear protection.

It really annoys me to see ANYONE without eye protection. It is especially annoying to see on national TV, where they are showcasing some major shooting event and half the people don't wear anything, including the kids. What is wrong with these people?

If you want to ruin your hearing, fine, that's your decision, but it only takes one incident and you may lose an eye.

≡✪≡
Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1 on eye and hearing protection.

You can get by with damaged hearing (mine damaged from years of artillery & s/arms firing), much bigger problem if damaged or no eye sight.

In my club, no ears & eyes on, the RO will not allow you shoot, basic safety rules.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Vigo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Same here where I shoot in Virginia - eye and ear protection required to use the range. I concur with that entirely.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:37 AM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnytoo View Post
Is this a case of weak brass or a double primed case? Winchester bulk 333, kind of disconcerting.
When you look at other casings from this same ammunition is the firing pin strike the same depth as this separated round? If the same it could mean the cartridge was in battery at the time of pin strike. Matter of fact I think this is what your photograph is showing. At least the best I can tell from the photos level of clarity.

I see an "area in shadow" near the separated heads pin strike which I believe is telling me that this area is angled away from the light meaning the rest of the case head was less supported (the first section to begin its tear away) than the area directly below the firing pin and it bent less and as a result it is reflecting more light in your photograph.

This could possibly be another sign of an over powered round. Which again may have been in battery at the time the firing pin hit the cartridge.

The fact that the bullet made it out the muzzle after the case head blew off may tell us a decent amount of energy was behind that round.

I would estimate that the cartridge was "slightly"out of battery....but....the cause? Quite possibly an overloaded cartridge.

After all you didn't have similar troubles surrounding this event with your Volquartsen did you. Or, don't say the firearm has a slight carbon ring or is at the edge of being just dirty enough?

I have some Winchester Super X 1280fps and 1330fps I sure hope I don't have some of the same to look forward to.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 AM
bunnytoo
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
When you look at other casings from this same ammunition is the firing pin strike the same depth as this separated round? If the same it could mean the cartridge was in battery at the time of pin strike. Matter of fact I think this is what your photograph is showing. At least the best I can tell from the photos level of clarity.

I see an "area in shadow" near the separated heads pin strike which I believe is telling me that this area is angled away from the light meaning the rest of the case head was less supported (the first section to begin its tear away) than the area directly below the firing pin and it bent less and as a result it is reflecting more light in your photograph.

This could possibly be another sign of an over powered round. Which again may have been in battery at the time the firing pin hit the cartridge.

The fact that the bullet made it out the muzzle after the case head blew off may tell us a decent amount of energy was behind that round.

I would estimate that the cartridge was "slightly"out of battery....but....the cause? Quite possibly an overloaded cartridge.

After all you didn't have similar troubles surrounding this event with your Volquartsen did you. Or, don't say the firearm has a slight carbon ring or is at the edge of being just dirty enough?

I have some Winchester Super X 1280fps and 1330fps I sure hope I don't have some of the same to look forward to.
I believe you are correct NIB, I think the case was in battery. The case head blew off but the rest of the shell casing was in the barrel and it even tried to chamber another round (the bullet from the new round stuck in the empty cylindrical blown case "tube" The only thing I notice was a build up of burnt powder around the chamber mouth on the barrel. This could of acted as a slight bushing and prevent the case from fully seating by perhaps 1/64".
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot up 12 rounds of very old 22 mag ammo through my 452 Varmint a few years back. The stuff was probably from the 60s or 70s. One of the rounds had a little corrosion and the case split. Some of the gases blew back into the action, but the vent hole did its job. Most modern rifles have a vent hole or gas shield of some sort to prevent you from being blinded in the event of a case ruptures. I had one round of Golden HP bulk that had a hole in the case from the factory I've gotten a defective round of Winchester Wildcat too where the bullet was smooshed and somehow got loaded and packaged anyway. rc
Old 08-17-2018, 05:44 PM
gebosniper
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
hmr.jpg
HMR rim
win.jpg
Win 22 lr rim
sorry for the bad pics. I did not find the other 2 cases that that split the rim
Old 08-17-2018, 07:18 PM
Lance Boyle
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
That is scary. When I think of all the thousands of rounds I have shot since I was 10 years old and started shooting nearly every day, I assume I have I had a very good (probably overworked) "Good Fairy."

In the past 10 years or so, I have had maybe a half dozen rounds that have blown out around the rim in some manner or other, but never like your example. Makes you wonder if the cases are a little thinner in an effort to make more shells from less brass to stretch the cost a bit further.

And it has only been since I joined RFC that eye and hearing protection has become as important to me as having some ammunition to shoot when I pick up a firearm. Thank you, RFC!

VH
I dunno. How much thicker can you go before you get complaints of dud rounds?

I do have to say as a teenager that would shoot bricks of thunder duds and Lightning’s in the eighties I never had a rupture. It wasn’t until I was much older where I had both Winchester .22 LR and mag ammo rupture at the rim.

Case weights have definitely changed. I have a handful of UMC .30-40 cases that are obviously heavier by feel compared to current rem brass.