Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:22 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gotta love those 52s

I just had a great weekend - hope y'all don't mind my sharing. two really good things happened. First of all, I finally got my oldest son to accompany me to our monthly club match. As a bonus, the younger son showed up from Dallas and also tagged along. That in itself was enough to make it a great day. I took three guns, a Winchester 52B (recently acquired and posted about here), a 52D, and a 52E. Since my oldest had never shot in a bench rest match, the plan was to let him cut his teeth on the B, which also had never shot in a match. I had it shooting pretty well, so I thought he might at least avoid embarrassing himself. We both did well. To start things off he shot the B in our Factory class and I shot my E in the same class. I had recently outfitted the D with a tuner and planned to use it in Unlimited class. We shoot the IR 50/50 target.

I need not have worried about my son's shooting, and all three guns performed very well......the 2nd good thing to happen. He proved to be a natural. His first target was a 250-16X, while mine was a 250-15X.

We ended up taking first and second in the factory class. We shoot two targets in each class, so his composite of the two targets was 498-26X, and mine was 499-32X.

Unfortunately, the D only shot a 248 on it's first target in the Unlimited class, so I switched back to the E and shot a 250-19X on that last target. We had a good crowd, and all fifteen benches were used. For the day with it's three IR 50/50 targets, the E had a total of 749-51X.....very decent for a factory gun.

My son is the nearest shooter, the old geezer is me - early pre-match doing warm-ups.

I apologize if I sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but it's not every day you have two sons show up from out of town, accompany you to a match, and one of them gives you a run for your money. I think if I died right now, the undertaker would never get the smile off my face.

Gotta love the Winchesters..........

James

Last edited by pump .22s; 08-13-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You are an exceptionally lucky man James. My two kids live close to me and we can never seem to make it to the range together. I know how family pressures keep things from working out, but just once before I leave for the hereafter it would be great to have us all together at the range like when they were younger, let alone shooting in a match.....kudos to you and your two sons!

Rick H.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:27 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Turboshaft
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Great story James! After a weekend like that you have several reasons to be smiling!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 PM
DPSTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I also had a nice family Sunday, My Dad, myself, my oldest son, my oldest brother and his youngest son, my brother in law and my niece all went to our monthly club meeting and shoot and had a great time. 4 52s involved. My C, my Dads B, my brothers B(which my son shoots) and the niece's pre-A, and my nephews H&R 12. About 15 other club shooters there as well, (related to most of them if you go back far enough) Had a great time, shot well. Even had a cloudburst to cool things down for a while....!!!

Don 't have any pics, Was fun though...!

DPSTX
Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 AM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is pretty special. Congrats!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:57 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any time you can combine two things you really enjoy.....in this case getting to shoot your favorite guns and spending time with family, it's a great day.

As you can see, I am as much a shooter of my Winchesters as a collector.....probably more so. When most folks discuss Winchesters, they seem to focus on the collecting side and want to talk about the finer details of each specific model. But to me, they are guns first and foremost, and I like to maximize their potential for accuracy - which is what the 52 was designed for. I do take care of them.

Thanks to all who have responded.....
Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
This must be the time for 52ís, last Sat I had a small invitational and friend Mick brought his new 52C c/w a 20x Ly STS. It was the most accurate rifle there and I was pleased to be able to shoot a 3/8th in. group at 50yd, benched.
This was my first time shooting a 52 of any model, I see what you all mean now.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Got to love em. Big Larry

Old 08-14-2018, 04:25 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yup! And that's a beaut.....
Old 08-14-2018, 05:17 PM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
Yup! And that's a beaut.....
Sold many of my M52's off a while back. I could not part with my M52-B or M52-C BULLGUNS even though I was offered $2,000 for the "C". Both are quite scarce, and neither has been altered. Thanks, Big Larry
Old 08-14-2018, 07:21 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
Sold many of my M52's off a while back. I could not part with my M52-B or M52-C BULLGUNS even though I was offered $2,000 for the "C". Both are quite scarce, and neither has been altered. Thanks, Big Larry

My three 52s are on my "hold 'til I die" list.

After Saturday's match, my son has a much higher opinion of what a 52 can do, so I feel he will take one or more off my hands when I move on.

The D and E have been pillar bedded, but not in their original stocks...those are stored away. I ordered a couple of CMP D stocks for them, refinished them and bedded each gun into one of those stock. That way, I can get the best accuracy and still have the original stocks to drop them back into. It has worked out very well.

Unfortunately, the B did not shoot well enough in it's original stock, though I could tell it wanted to....the factory bedding just wasn't a good fit. So, I Devcon bedded it into it's stock. It shoots very, very well now.

I wish I had that C bull barrel I sold a few years back.....just didn't appreciate them enough at that time.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Big Larry

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
My three 52s are on my "hold 'til I die" list.

After Saturday's match, my son has a much higher opinion of what a 52 can do, so I feel he will take one or more off my hands when I move on.

The D and E have been pillar bedded, but not in their original stocks...those are stored away. I ordered a couple of CMP D stocks for them, refinished them and bedded each gun into one of those stock. That way, I can get the best accuracy and still have the original stocks to drop them back into. It has worked out very well.

Unfortunately, the B did not shoot well enough in it's original stock, though I could tell it wanted to....the factory bedding just wasn't a good fit. So, I Devcon bedded it into it's stock. It shoots very, very well now.

I wish I had that C bull barrel I sold a few years back.....just didn't appreciate them enough at that time.
My C BULL shoots rather well. A friend cleaned and waxed my C, so I gave him a box of Red Box Eley and this is what he did with it. It sports a vintage Lyman STS 20X He shot this group off a portable bench, Big Larry
Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, good shooting indeed.

Considering the age of these old guns, they do quiet well.