Advice please... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:46 AM
34SF
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Advice please...

I have acquired a Winchester 52D in a local trade. The rifle is in pretty good condition but missing the front and rear sights and blocks. The previous owner used a scope on it and it came with a small base that is not original to the gun. I don't plan on keeping it but don't want to give it away either. So...my options are to restore it with the correct parts or just get a modern base to mount a scope on it. The idea is to improve its appeal instead of something that can't be shot as is. As is, it could be a shooter or a football bat. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide5.JPG (37.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am a bit confused by your post. You acquired this Model 52 but you have no intention of keeping it, is that correct? So you want to know what to do about the missing sights and or scope blocks? If you have no intention of keeping the rifle I would just turn it as is. Adding scope blocks is no big deal and won't add much to worth. A better option would be to take some pictures of the receiver and such so we can see what you have to work with. Are there extra holes in the rifle that were put in to mount this other scope block? Is there anything wrong with the rifle that should be noted? From the pictures you have posted, it looks like a rifle in pretty decent condition. I for one would like to know more about the rifle.

Rick H.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:17 PM
34SF

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I traded an M1A for an Anschutz 64 Match (the gun I wanted) and the Winchester was thrown in to make up the difference vs. cash.
This information is what I'm looking for: "Adding scope blocks is no big deal and won't add much to worth" as I've already bought a rear sling swivel and the rear sight block thinking (wrongly) that it would.

Attached is a picture of the receiver and it doesn't have extra holes. The stock has some dings and there are some light surface scratches in the metal but otherwise doesn't seem to have any issues other than being dirty.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide6.JPG (69.0 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Ok, for a Vianni type mount reach out to Dokey on this site. For irons a good Redfield Olympic or International front and rear with blocks from Steve Earle. You can google his site for that. I assumed the front of the barrel is D?T for a front site block?
Old 08-10-2018, 04:38 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would sell it as is. Odds are the value won't go up as much as you would be investing in sight blocks or sights. JMHO.

Hector
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 PM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorFuego View Post
I would sell it as is. Odds are the value won't go up as much as you would be investing in sight blocks or sights. JMHO.

Hector
Oh BTW, kudos to you for correctly asking for "advice" and not "advise."
Old 08-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Agree with HF. Sell as is. Let buyer determine what sight/scope he wants.
Steve
Old 08-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Pastprime
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (122)
I'd sell it as it. You may not recoup the cost of making it a "correct" iron sight shooter. And, I would not invest in a Viani rail either. People are asking a premium for them since they are no longer made and a prospective buyer may not want use a scope.

Just my opinion; your decision to make. Enjoy the Anschutz. A lot easier on the shoulder.....

Hank
Old 08-10-2018, 05:16 PM
34SF

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you gents. I'll quit messing with it and we're off to the next gun show. I appreciate the advice.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:19 PM
minic99

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I'd put that small base you mention back on the 52 along with a scope and take it to the range before cutting it loose. You may forget about the Annie if that thing shoots as good as it looks!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:24 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Money is just money, and ours aint worth much....
Isnt every day a clean 52 ‘falls’ into ones hands and hey, its a Win., it is only going to appreciate.
Keep it a while.
Btw, Id look at the EGW scope mount for the 52s that screws onto that hole set for the rear target scope block and cantilevers back over the action. Bolt on rig that will let you mount up modern glass to its integral Pic/Weaver base.

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-10-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:25 PM
34SF

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I knew this would get me into trouble. The Annie been the dream gun since Jr NRA 4 pos matches with my Mossberg. Reinforced when I watched the AMU at Benning. But...no one here dislikes blued steel and oiled wood so I'm trying not to get romantically involved with the Winchester. I know, as I type this, once I scope it "just to see how it shoots" means it will never be sold while I still breathe. I did see the EGW pic rail and surprisingly, I have some milspec rings. Woefully, I see a non-financialy optimum range experience in my future.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:27 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I hope so.....
Old 08-11-2018, 04:44 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34SF View Post
I knew this would get me into trouble. The Annie been the dream gun since Jr NRA 4 pos matches with my Mossberg. Reinforced when I watched the AMU at Benning. But...no one here dislikes blued steel and oiled wood so I'm trying not to get romantically involved with the Winchester. I know, as I type this, once I scope it "just to see how it shoots" means it will never be sold while I still breathe. I did see the EGW pic rail and surprisingly, I have some milspec rings. Woefully, I see a non-financialy optimum range experience in my future.
I fell into a Winchester 52E a few years back. I was happy with my CZs, Remingtons, Anschutz, etc. guns until then. But once I shot that gun off my bench, I fell in love and began to see what all the hoopla was over the Winchester 52. A year or so previously, I had a 52C bull barrel fall into my lap, and not knowing what I had, I foolishly sold it.....much to my enduring regret. Since then I have acquired a D and B model. All three are extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot....in fact, I am out the door shortly with all three guns and my two sons headed to a shooting match with them. I plan to depart this earth with those three guns in my possession. If I was in your shoes knowing what I know now, no way would I sell that gun until: 1) I had an opportunity to mount a scope and shoot it enough to see what it could do., and 2) I had become thoroughly familiar with it's value. A typical gun show is not going to give you what it's worth.

No way.........
Old 08-11-2018, 05:35 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's going to sound redundant to all the quality information you have been given already, but even if you have no intent to keep the 52 I would still mount up a scope or sights and get it to the range. Clearly from the second batch of pictures you posted that rifle is in pretty nice shape and could be a very accurate rifle. Problem is that you won't know that until you shoot it. If you don't take the time to get it into shooting condition and get it to the range, weeks or months from now a little voice will pop up in the back or your head telling you "I should have taken that Winchester to the range.....I should have taken it to the range!"

Don't ask me how I know the above....

Rick H.