Cheap Red Dot Goes Haywire! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:05 PM
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cheap Red Dot Goes Haywire!

Took my Buckmark Hunter to the indoor range today with a CHEAP (not inexpensive) red dot on it - a Pinty that I got for about 20 bucks or so. I know, I know, but I wanted to see if I liked a red dot on a pistol before I committed to something more expensive. How wrong can you go for 20 bucks? Well, I guess 20 bucks worth of wrong. I was shooting at about 30 ft. and was getting decent groups of about 1 1/2 in. on a 9" bullseye I printed out on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. So far so good. After about 30 or 40 rounds I loaded up a new magazine with 5 rounds and mounted a clean target. Now my eyesight isn't great, but I knew that the next 5 rounds couldn't all be going in one virtually invisible hole. I brought the target back and checked out what was going on - not ONE hole in the entire target! OK, I checked the mount, the barrel, the rail - everything tight. Hmmm.... Next I took my Cabela's bag out of my range bag and used it to rest the barrel on and get a solid, stable sight picture and tried 5 more rounds. Again, not ONE on the paper! So I took the POS, I mean Pinty off and use the factory sights firing 5 more from the bag - tight group about an inch low. A few clicks up and dead nuts! Went back to two handed grip and firing nice groups again. I have no idea where those last rounds with the red dot went, but it isn't worth the effort to play with it - I might kill someone! That lens on the red dot must have shifted several degrees while the frame and mount showed no looseness at all. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them?
Old 08-03-2018, 06:28 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"You get what you pay for" and "No such thing as a free lunch" are quotes that come to mind.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:05 PM
Rider357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ah, cheap, thatís the key word. A good one wonít do that to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018, 07:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My cheapo Tasco red dot has been working for over 5 years without a problem. Granted, it did cost more than 20 bucks.....
Old 08-03-2018, 10:37 PM
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was kind of surprised the sight didn't start drifting or cutting on and off if it was going to fail but to just move the aim point totally off the target paper was quite a surprise. Bottom line is I do like shooting a red dot on a pistol and I'll just have to get a better quality product.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:56 PM
goater

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I picked up an H&R Pardner 12 ga pump shotgun at a yard sale yesterday. It had the same exact red dot mounted on it, Pinty. The fellow told me that the red dot sight was junk. The lens was just like yours, twisted and when I touched it the lens fell on the floor! JUNK! It will be replaced with either a Bushnell Holo sight or a Burris Fast Fire. As the others said ,, ya gets what ya pays for!
Old 08-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Another thing that folks don't talk about as much, is time; my range time is too precious for me to waste on an underperforming or problematic product.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:34 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
My cheapo Tasco red dot has been working for over 5 years without a problem. Granted, it did cost more than 20 bucks.....
Yep, I got mine about 5 years ago for something like $30 on sale. Has been on my 22/45 for thousands of rounds and is still perfect.

Classic has a newer red/green model on sale today for $23. I'm thinkin of picking up a couple for spares. https://www.classicfirearms.com/tasc...ot-matte-black