Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 PM
Drill Sergeant
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The front sight

Probably my old, tired eyes, but I find it very difficult to see the front sight on my 10/22. Very difficult.

Has anyone had a larger gold bead or other alteration added to increase visibility.

Trying to avoid a scope, if possible.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Cplfly
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look at the Hi Viz sights. Green dots in rear,red in front. I have them on my carbine,I like then alot. On mine the new rear base was to loose,put new blade on old base. The front was to big, had my gunsmith fit it. You could file/fit it yourself but he offered to do it for me.

Last edited by Cplfly; 06-10-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:54 AM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Another solution would be to add a set of Tech-Sights. While they will run about $70, they will not only give you a better front sight post but the aperture rear sight eliminates the problem of trying to align the sights.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 09:06 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
If you've got "old tired eyes", I'd strongly suggest getting an eye exam. I doubt your eyes are older than mine and I've been through the same thing you're describing. You could be getting the very beginning of cataracts where the lens is clouded, or you simply might need a set of prescription glasses that increase your intermediate distance correction. Your front sight is right in the range of this issue, 24-32" or so....pretty common. Before you try to fix the vision problem with different front sights, make sure it's not your eyes giving you the problem. I'll bet it is.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:10 AM
86250rrippin

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
TECH SIGHTS ........
Old 06-10-2018, 09:29 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am 65. I do not have cataracts. I cannot use the stock Ruger front sight with or without corrective lenses. I put Tech Sights on my carbine. Another option would be a small red dot sight.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:12 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
I am 65. I do not have cataracts. I cannot use the stock Ruger front sight with or without corrective lenses. I put Tech Sights on my carbine. Another option would be a small red dot sight.
If you're having trouble seeing the front sight it's your eyes....for what ever reason. Still time to get an exam if you haven't had one for a while. I've had glasses made just for the same reason you're describing....can't see the front sight clearly. Putting a different sight on the gun might help you see the sight better, but you still need some age related vision correction to shoot well. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:18 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
More trouble than you probably want to go to but I couldn't find a better solution. This involved cutting away part of the OEM sight and soldering a wider blade in place. There is additional suport from a small pin inserted into the hole for the OEM brass piece and a hole drilled into the new part.

FWIW, I'm probably older than you are and have cataracts. I like the OEM bead on the 18 1/2" carbine barrel but on this 22" barrel it's too small.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:56 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I much prefer to have the problem adapt to me rather than adapt myself to the problem but these have also worked for me:

At my last eye exam I got a prescription for glasses that focus at the front sight. To do that, I had to take a mockup with sights (didn't look anything like a gun) because the equipment the eye dr. has can't test at that distance. I'm nearsighted and normally use dollar-store +1.50 glasses for reading.These are weaker than that but have the advantage of also correcting for astigmatism. The target is blurred more but overall the result is better. Or get some cheap reading glasses.

If you are looking through something with a small hole in it, everything will be sharper. Try it with a 1/16th-inch hole punched in a piece of electrical tape on your shooting glasses. The thinner the tape and the more cleanly punched, the better this works. It works best in good light.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:46 PM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Sights

I have scopes on all my 10-22's, however, as I am in the "middle" of the cataract issue, bad enough to cause iron sight issues, but not bad enough for insurance to pay for the operation (I'm 3 out of 4 on the score scale, 4 let's them pay) I have 2 Marlin 39a's, one scoped, one I installed Williams sights on. Rear is a Foolproof receiver, front is a 1/8" Firesight (I used the "skylight " front sight hood made for the Marlin Camp Carbine to allow the Firesight to illuminate) The combination of the small hole rear & the brightness of the front sight made all the difference, I can clearly visualize the sights & target at 25-50yds. The 39 has a 24" barrel and thusly a very long sight radius with the rear peep. Williams also makes the Firesight with a larger bead if needed.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:14 PM
britbike1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might try a lyman target front sight with a peep on the back. The front sight has different inserts and some are circles so you can circle your target with the front sight. Look through the peep like normal. Used these on the rotc rifle team and they work very well. I did see another post where the user had done this and it seemed like a good idea.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:26 PM
TLARbb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
This was my best option. I put an AT3 RD-50 on mine and it is much better for me than irons now.

EJ
Old 06-29-2018, 08:53 PM
Drill Sergeant
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks

Appreciate the replies. You are an awesome group for offering your solutions. I appreciate them all.

I do not have cataracts (glad of that). After shifting through the responses, I have given in to the scope. I have an older Weaver 22 scope that works well. It was my most economical option. At the range, at 25 yards, I put 10 into one ragged hole.

I am quite sure that other rifles can do better, but squirrel season is coming up and along with the handguns I usually reserve for the little critters, I will add the rifle.

Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:35 AM
TerryMSU

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One other option...

Your problem as I understand it is that you cannot focus on three different distances (rear sight, front sight, and target). Holographic sights (EOTech HWS) give a reticle that from the aspect of your eye, focus at a distance. This means that now you are focusing only with your distance sight. I added a magnifier, because I do have a cataract in my master eye that is almost ready to replace. I also have severe astigmatism, which is part of the reason for the magnifier, since I can focus some of the astigmatism away.

With this setup, I went from “can’t see well enough to shoot at 25 yards”, to “can see well enough at up to at least 100 yards”. (Still can hit anything at 100 yards, but that is another issue.)

In the interest of full disclosure I do work for EOTech. Other reflex sights will have similar improvements, but I have played with them and the reliability is pretty bad unless you spend as much as an EOTech.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:04 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86250rrippin View Post
TECH SIGHTS ........
+1

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk