Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:10 PM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
testing groups

32 meter distance
fiochi target pistol fiochi official 300 aguilla match pistol 22 golden bullet

if things work fiochi official 300 worked good on buddies stock carbine, best was 3/8 x 3/8 outside edges, but typical ws 1"x1" worst was 1.25 x 2.1"

rws typciall stayed inside 3/4 x 3/4

consideration for better trigger or just better rest fixture?
Old 02-27-2018, 02:13 PM
mac1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
are there any signs the trigger is messing with your groups?
how many groups fired, different people shooting also.

with the range of group size hard to tell whats what
Old 03-01-2018, 12:57 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
just me shooting on my targets, I shot while he was taking his wife to work. For some reason wifes expect to be treated as more important as shooting.

Caldwell lead sled solo, an old bushnell banner 3-9 power.

im going to have to take a day and get the time to scan the targets out. There is a lot of things going on. Bad hand injury not withstanding, there is a lot of groups from all brands of ammo, rws fiochi, Aquila, golden bullet that would have been in the realm of .25 cent piece except for a sigle flyer, half an inch away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 07:20 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Might be parallax with that scope that close?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Lots of variables here. Temp, wind, action screw torque, torque/use of the barrel band, etc. No matter what, a better trigger will improve you shooting. A bone stock 10/22 should be under 1" at that distance with irons. Your scope can really help you diagnose if your shots are operator error or if the issue is elsewhere. I have found that both of mine are sensitive to ammo. Even different lots can throw things out the window if yours is especially picky. Find what your gun likes and dont look back.

Edit : I just got to thinking, a lot of folks have had good luck having the firing pin itself pinned to reduce flyers. That and having the bolt radiused. I used a VQ surestrike firing pin and my flyers went away.

Last edited by DroopyBassets75; 04-19-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:21 PM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Paralax

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Might be parallax with that scope that close?
If your Bushnell is a typical made-for-centerfire scope, the paralax will usually be adjusted typically for 100 to 150 yards. If you put your rifle on the rest with the crosshairs centered on a small aiming point @25yds or so, then not touching the gun look through the scope and move your head a bit, you will see anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" of apparent movement of the crosshairs. That is the paralax aiming error, that, added to ACTUAL group size determines the results. Until you eliminate the paralax aiming error by using an EFR type scope that can focus at a known distance, you will not achieve meaningful results as far as group size. One of the most reasonably priced EFR scopes is the Nikon 3-9x40 EFR, Bushnell also has some under $160 scopes in that class.
Hope this helps
Phil
Old 04-20-2018, 06:59 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Between your measurements method and odd ball distance it is a little effort to judge what is going on here. Groups are not measured inside/outside, they are center to center. All this inside/outside stuff makes no sense. I have to guess your real group size, center to center is approx 1/2 inch RWS at 32 meters. That is about 1.5 moa. Typical 10/22 in my experience.

For a stock 10/22, I would not 'expect' better than 2 moa. That is 1 inch center to center at 50 yards.

It would help if you posted the actual groups sizes. if you measure the outside, subtract one bullet diameter. Then just post that number. Because a lot of people dont read or understand every word.

You already been advised on the scope. Any 'rimfire' scope at 50 yards is fine. You dont need an EFR. Although that is a great way to go. Its my way. That assumes a worthy rifle. Most scopes with the ability to focus will focus to 50 yards. If it has a focus. You see a trend here. Move out to 50 and measure center to center.

The parallax error with a centerfire scope is signification less at 50 than 32. You can null out ALL the parallax error if you position you eye exactly the same for every shot. It might also help to dial it down to 4x. Move your head side to side to observe the parallax.

The leadsled is ok.

I suggest a few less ammo choices. I would try rws and two CCI loads. CCI std velocity and minimag. That is plenty of variety to start. At this point, if you have enough just go with RWS rifle. That is very good ammo. I find it shoots well in all my rimfires. For initial debug, etc, where I maybe shooting a lot, I like CCI std velocity. The minimag is just incase, you never know.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:19 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Groups are not measured inside/outside, they are center to center. All this inside/outside stuff makes no sense.
Beg to differ with that statement. Measuring from inside to outside of the two furthest spaced bullet holes will give you the center to center equivalent measurement. Try it, you will find it works.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:36 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
Beg to differ with that statement. Measuring from inside to outside of the two furthest spaced bullet holes will give you the center to center equivalent measurement. Try it, you will find it works.
Yes, if that is what he did?? I agree. In fact that is center to center. Like I said people dont read (or understand) every word. self included.

Tell me, what does this mean to you when the op says "outside edges" I assume he was measuring to the outside of the holes.

And what does this mean? "stayed inside 3/4" I assume he meant the groups were under 3/4 size or rather inside a 3/4 box (ie measured on the outside). I dont know, probably I should not have responded.

Last edited by fourbore; 04-20-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:04 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Yes, if that is what he did?? I agree. In fact that is center to center. Like I said people dont read (or understand) every word. self included.

Tell me, what does this mean to you when the op says "outside edges" I assume he was measuring to the outside of the holes.

And what does this mean? "stayed inside 3/4" I assume he meant the groups were under 3/4 size or rather inside a 3/4 box (ie measured on the outside). I dont know, probably I should not have responded.
Agree 100% with you. Sometimes one must read between the lines which means there might be several interpretations. We shoot friendly competition with several different calibers. Outside to outside measurement won't be fair when comparing a 22 cal bullet group with a 30 cal bullet group.