Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:56 AM
Ken Turner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M39a Project

I was given a M39a for work done for a friend. I did not ask for payment but I was taught not to dishonor a gift. The rear stock was broken and an attempt to repair is as shown in photos. The open rear sight was beaten to an unusable condition. The rifle had been refinished and the lettering on the barrel is almost gone. The barrel had been drilled and tapped for a scope mount (not factory because holes were of different depths). Finish on stock was a heavy brush applied varnish. In short a project to restore.
I stripped the stock, reblued with cold blue, removed the rear sight, installed a Williams Fool Proof receiver sight, filled the holes in the barrel with screws (6X40).
The rifle was made in 1955 and the screws for the receiver sight were rusted in tight. It took a week soaking in Kroil oil and drilling to remove the screws. This was the most difficult part trying not to damage the screw threads. The rifle shoots a reasonable group. My next decision is to replace the rear stock. The damaged stock is usable as is. The rifle will never be a collector piece due to items mentioned above.

Last edited by Ken Turner; 02-25-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 02-24-2018, 02:38 PM
chicharrones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sure would like to see those photos!

Another RFC glitch?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:37 PM
frankmako
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
39a's are made for shooting. Clean her up and have some fun. Try some J b bore paste in the barrel it might clean up the group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Ken Turner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M39a Project photos

Photos

Last edited by Ken Turner; 03-15-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:31 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
Still lots of parts and furniture around. Don't wait too long though.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:12 AM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently picked up a 1955 39A, straight stock, with a 20 inch barrel.
The lettering on the barrel looks just like yours and I feel sure it was never redone.
It also has the barrel tapped for a scope mount, so was probably sold thru Sears or another major retailer at that time. I have not removed the screws to see if the depths are the same.

It needed some repair, broken butt plate, and the bulls eye was missing. It has some pitting on the outside of the barrel, soaked in Kroil, removed rust, then cold blued. Inside is excellent, bore is shiny and bright and feels like a new gun working the action, not much wear.
Has been so cold, windy and snow that I only fired it 5 times on the way home to see if everything worked OK. Can't wait to put a few hundred rounds down the barrel.
Whistle pigs beware

Last edited by rem33; 02-26-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:40 AM
Ken Turner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M39a Project Range Report

Sighted in at range yesterday. With new Williams FP receiver sight at 25 yards and using Blazer ammo the group was about 3/4 inch. Today I will give it a good bore scrub and next week check it for group.
As to lettering being very faint, do any M39a owners have rifles in this condition. I usually can determine if a firearm has been refinished if the lettering does not have raised edges. Almost all manufactures roll stamp the lettering which leaves lettering with raised lettering.