Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs9 View Post
Any advantage to using HV then SV? When normally just shooting paper. Sometimes at distance.
No advantage. Main reason in my case is sometimes I need the extra ooomph to get the action of a semi-auto to function properly. Hunters also sometimes prefer the extra velocity for the terminal effects.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:00 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
No advantage. Main reason in my case is sometimes I need the extra ooomph to get the action of a semi-auto to function properly. Hunters also sometimes prefer the extra velocity for the terminal effects.
Thanks, I should try some HV to see what it does.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 12:21 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Thanks, I should try some HV to see what it does.
If you're just shooting paper SV will almost always give you better results as far as accuracy goes. That's true unless you're buying the really cheap stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 04:03 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Bikerr View Post
My experience is the Aguila HV and SV were more accurate at any distance than the Wally-World Fed bulk, Champions, Lightning, and whatever cart. has "Shock" on the box (been a long time) that I have used in the past.

I cannot remember ever...ever....having a failure-to-fire w/Aguila. Can't say that abut the Fed. I am on my 3rd case of Aguila.

Could not pass on the price.

A few stovepipes in my 10/22, but they all went bang.
I placed an order with Trueshot at 6:07 Wednesday evening. My order was shipped late Thursday morning, and about an hour ago, Friday, at 12:10, it was delivered. This reminds me of the ole days when we bought Cabela's very cheaply. Most of their shipments for me came out of Salt Lake City, which was an overnight delivery. $178.15 delivered.

Box came in perfect condition as shows in pic below.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:51 PM
Purple Bikerr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
So I have not tried HV in my 22s. 22/45 Lite, and my 10/22. Among others. Followed the link and found the HV on sale. Any advantage to using HV then SV? When normally just shooting paper. Sometimes at distance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
My experience is that the Aguila HV Solids shoot more accurately than the Aguila SV. In the 6 guns that I have tested these loads, the Aguila HV outshot the SV every time @ 50 yds.

However, the Aguils HV Solids will shoot almost as accurately as CCI SV. For $30-$50 less a case, I can live with .2" bigger groups. But I am a stand-up, off-hand shooter.

I tried the Aguila HV Hollow Points, I will not be buying those again.

As always, your results may be better or worse than mine.

To those of you who ordered per my link,

You're Welcome.........glad I could finally help some of you guys.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:09 PM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Bikerr View Post

However, the Aguils HV Solids will shoot almost as accurately as CCI SV. For $30-$50 less a case, I can live with .2" bigger groups. But I am a stand-up, off-hand shooter.

I tried the Aguila HV Hollow Points, I will not be buying those again.
I bought the HPs just because they were 38gr and I thought they might beat the gun up a bit less than the 40gr solids.

Most of my barrels like Aguila too. It's been a long time since anyone argued to me that it can't be good because it doesn't cost enough.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never had any hv shoot better than sv. Of course, what can I compare it to as I don't buy any $$$$ hv. There's only a few types. I don't spend $$$ on sv either due to the manner in which I shoot which I think I mentioned before. The batch of Aguila I bought in the early spring, at times, beat out my Norma Tac, SK Std+, and CCI sv's which are the three that I keep a "good" supply of. For the price, it's great for me. Remember, most of the Norma was $30 or under at Cabela's, and just about all of my SK Std+ was under $40. I'll probably never buy another round of hv as in 4-5 years, I hope Calamity can shoot off most of what I have. I only "treat" my Rugers, now with all Green Mountain barrels and Kidd triggers, with sv only. What I mentioned above isn't my best shooting ammo. I have a case or two of SK RM that usually outshoots the above, but sometimes only by 1/4" or so. That's not worth it for me. Same as the Norma Match which most times I can't see any difference. Yes, I have a few boxes of 50 of Center X and Midas + which I, or my guns, consider the best. I haven't shot any for several years now. In fact, I'll have to see how they do in my GM barrels. Second thought, no I won't, as I go through five 10 round magazines in 2-3 minutes. Too $$$ to do that.

Last edited by Calamity Sue's Husband; 08-23-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Just ordered a case if Aquila SV from Midsouth Shooters Supply.
$165.99 for the case and $14 shipping. No sales tax was assessed.
Total was $179.99

This is $9 less than it was when I ordered a case of the same from them 2 months ago.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:40 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I'm still waiting for CCI SV to go on sale somewhere. It still running around $240-$250/case delivered to my door.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:53 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
I'm still waiting for CCI SV to go on sale somewhere. It still running around $240-$250/case delivered to my door.
The past few years CCI has had a rebate starting in December, so you might want to wait. Many times the vendors raise their prices, even sale prices, due to the rebate. It's a case where the early bird catches the lower sale price and the rebate.

I'm hoping Reeds have sv's on sale this year, BOGO.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:24 PM
robow7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In your opinion, does the Aquila HV shoot as clean as CCI Mini Mags ?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Purple Bikerr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robow7 View Post
In your opinion, does the Aquila HV shoot as clean as CCI Mini Mags ?
The only thing I will say is they both clean-up with 2 wet patches of Ed's Red followed by two dry patches, after shooting 100 rds.

Ed's Red is a home-brew of equal parts acetone, kerosene, mineral spirits and Dextron II or Dextron III tranny fluid.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's been a while since anyone posted here so I thought I'd post a semi good deal that's been up for 3-4 weeks now, or maybe longer. This is from Sportsman's Warehouse who has several stores in my immediate area. No matter, as it's free shipping over $49. Plus, it's 10% off the order too, using SWA10%OFF.

There's not much ammo available and they won't ship it if it isn't in their warehouse. If you have a store nearby, check out and see if they have what you are looking for. Again, only a few things are on sale. It was say pickup only, but I'm not sure you will get the 10% off in store, so order it for in store pickup online.

Okay, but remember, only a one time order per account. No problem using a guest account the second time if you decide for something else or more.

Here's the choices I see for free shipping at a good price.

Norma Tac for $3.97 a box. When I put 2 bricks in my cart (20), and use the code, the cart reads $71.46 without the tax. That's $35.73 a brick for two bricks, shipping free.

Norma Match and Norma Sub Sonic are both $4.97. Again, using the code, they come to $44.73 before tax, delivered, for a brick. Not too bad.

My store has Remington Eley Club Extra, using the code, at $8.97 a box plus tax, in store pickup only. Never cared for it as I'm not that precision of a shooter.

As I said, this has been going on for quite some time now and I think the code is only good thru September.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...unds/p/1430151

PS: If you are a pellet smoker guy/gal, I buy my Camp Chef pellets here for $12.99 a bag. I recently bought 5 bags of various types (they offer quite a few) using the code for $11.70 a bag plus tax, and free shipping. A very, very good deal.

https://www.sportsmans.com/outdoor-c...llets/p/p32024
Old 09-27-2019, 12:23 PM
B22G
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the heads up on this. I just ordered 3 cartons and got the free shipping and 10% discount.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brownell's has a sale on Lapua 22lr going on that includes Center X, Midas +, and others. They are not terrifically priced, but with all the coupons available (8 of them at least with different minimums), you'll be able to get another nearly 10% off if you order just above above the minimum. Also, don't forget 2.5% cash back from AJ.

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...zz1zzClearance