39a shooting WAY off! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Rifleguy

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
34
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
39a shooting WAY off!



Log in to see fewer ads
i have really been enjoying my 22's here lately. So, I retrieved my vintage 39a out of the safe and headed to the range. I noticed my forend was slightly loose. I tightened the tenion screw up. It helped a little, but still has a small amount of play in the forend. Anyway, she was shooting 3" high and about 3" to the right at50yds. I dialed her back in and shot a couple nice 5 shot groups a about the size of a nickel. Would tightening up the forend screws make such a dramatic change in my POI?
Also, is there a recommend torque on them?

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-13-2018, 03:49 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

Join Date: 
Dec 2004
Posts: 
1,339
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I would say that if the forend has play,it is not putting force on the barrel. Any play will drive you to distraction though. Do you mean the two small screws that hold the forend in place? I would mix up a very small amount of bedding compound, release agent the cap well then assemble the rifle with a little compound in the groves at both ends of the forend. Let it set up, and your forend should not have any play.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-13-2018, 04:04 PM
Rifleguy

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
34
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
I would say that if the forend has play,it is not putting force on the barrel. Any play will drive you to distraction though. Do you mean the two small screws that hold the forend in place? I would mix up a very small amount of bedding compound, release agent the cap well then assemble the rifle with a little compound in the groves at both ends of the forend. Let it set up, and your forend should not have any play.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Yes, it is the two small forend screws that I tightened up. They are pretty tight, and I sure didn't want to bugger up the heads, so I quit tightening. Yet, the forend is a little loose. I suspect the wood has schrunk a bit. I'm still puzzled how my scope got so far out of zero though. Should I torque those screws after the bedding compound?
Thanks very much

Last edited by Rifleguy; 02-13-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-13-2018, 04:21 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

Join Date: 
Dec 2004
Posts: 
1,339
TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleguy View Post
Yes, it is the two small forend screws that I tightened up. They are pretty tight, and I sure didn't want to bugger up the heads, so I quit tightening. Yet, the forend is a little loose. I suspect the wood has schrunk a bit. I'm still puzzled how my scope got so far out of zero though. Should I torque those screws after the bedding compound?
Thanks very much
Those two screws don't do anything but hold the cap to a dovetailed tenon on the barrel, so just tight enough so they can't come loose is fine.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Rifleguy

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
34
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
Those two screws don't do anything but hold the cap to a dovetailed tenon on the barrel, so just tight enough so they can't come loose is fine.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Got it,
Thank you very much for your help
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 PM
frankmako
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2015
Posts: 
216
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
same ammo / lot number that you use when sighting in the rifle/scope? off the bench/bag different? cheap scope? could be lots of reasons. i don't think the fore end had anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Rifleguy

Join Date: 
Jan 2018
Posts: 
34
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
same ammo / lot number that you use when sighting in the rifle/scope? off the bench/bag different? cheap scope? could be lots of reasons. i don't think the fore end had anything to do with it.
The ammo is certainly different. I had it sighted in with yellow jackets. Shot CCI mini mags today. The scope is a new Nikon installed a couple years ago, sighted in and not shot since.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2018, 07:48 AM
frankmako
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2015
Posts: 
216
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
there you go, different ammo will do it every time. i shoot nra lever action silhouette with the 39a wearing a redfield sight. when i was trying out different ammo (brands, sv and/or hv) to see what work best i had different sight adjustments at each target for each different ammo.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-2018, 03:07 PM
dmccorki
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
virginia
Posts: 
349
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Agree that forearm should not be the cause of such a wide difference. 3 inches right and 3 inches high seems to be quite a significant difference for an ammo change. Apparently too late to try some of the yellow jacket ammo to see if it shoots close to original sighting but might be interesting to try some yellow jacket with the new sighting and see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 PM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2006
Location: 
Pine Bush N.Y.now Huguenot N.Y.
Posts: 
1,238
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seems to be a good scope but even a cheap scope will hold its zero unless a shock -a hard one hits it ,I have had scopes be off suddenly for unknown reasons but mostly this is maybe a 1/2 " I would say somehow it got knocked hard,,re zero and see what happens,scopes are sensitive. I never trust any scope after sitting a long time.iron sights and peeps are way mor trustworthy when you leave them alone.for long times.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x