Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Barrel mounted peeps for 10/22?

Good evening,

I am coming down to the wire with the last few things to purchase for a project of mine. I'm building up a 10/22 to suit my needs for what I consider an "ultimate". I will be using the factory barrel, shortened to 16.5" and the crown will be re-cut. The factory rear sights are ok, but I really am wanting to have a barrel mounted peep.

Previously, I have used a old Mini-14 ranch folding peep and a .50" front sight which has worked but I am in the mood for something different. Does anybody here have experience with the Skinner barrel mounted peep?

The Skinner ships with the large aperture but I can get others, I just don't know how I feel about having to use a allen wrench to make adjustments. Does anybody have the screw pitch so I could swap them out with hardened flat head screws?

The other sight option which I am seriously considering is tracking down a Mossberg S107 rear sight. It has both the notch and peep apertures and is secured to the barrel with two screws. I can easily drill and tap that myself but I don't know if the sight is adjustable for windage. Visually, this would be the most pleasing in my mind but if it won't work it won't work.

Lastly I would consider the Marbles Bullseye short sight. I'm not sure if the length would work with a factory 10/22 barrel or if I would need to cut a new dovetail, which I am not against. Are these more of a ghost ring or is the aperture pretty fine? If I were to get one, I would cut off the outer circle, clean it up and reblue where necessary to make it less obnoxious. If it is a ghost ring type, is it substantially large enough to be threaded for regular inserts from Williams or a other similar company?

I'm looking for any experiences with any of these sights and also open to considering other options. Thanks in advance.