Beeman (yes, Beeman!) R7 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:45 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (260)
Beeman (yes, Beeman!) R7

Before delivery of my new R7, I decided I'd put a scope on it and ordered a Nikon ProStaff 3-9X EFR. (I have a higher power scope on the shelf if that doesn't seem adequate, but as I doubt I'll be shooting at more than 30 yards or so, the 9X should be OK.) The rifle arrived last night (very nice) and there's nothing in the paperwork that says what the receiver rail groove is -- 3/8" or 11mm? I'm also a bit concerned about the rings "walking" in the groove with the springer recoil. (And that would be even more so with a higher power, heavier scope.) Any suggestions to eliminate that?

Doug
Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All European air rifles are supposed to be 11mm. I say supposed because there can be some variation from company to company. In my experience the best scope mounts are the long base integrated scope rings like this:

https://www.airgundepot.com/rws-lock...nt-1-inch.html

My Diana 34 would cause every regular set of scope rings to slide about until I used this base. I think UTG and others make a cheaper version that should work as well.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:15 PM
catbird
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
The R7 has 11mm grooves. It should have stud holes in the top of the receiver. Get rings for air rifles and they should have studs for the rings to mate with the holes in the receiver. Fasten the bottom halves of the rings with the stud(s) against the rear of the holes. This should prevent rings from creeping due to the spring recoil. A little Loctite 242 is also recommended on the rings' screws.
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2017, 02:11 AM
Whiskeyshooter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is mine, A Santa Rosa with the Bug Buster scope which is ideal for light Springer. They are Air gun rated. I have about 4 or 5 of them on various air rifles. The R7 is a very light recoil for a Spring Piston Air Rifle. Most scope bases with be accepted. I like these off center rings and base. One Piece.

Last edited by Whiskeyshooter; 12-09-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:35 AM
tmen52

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Send a message via AIM to tmen52
dbr65, The Nikon EFR and the RWS Lock-Down mount is a great combo, I use them on a couple of my air rifles,, no movement.
I've also found good results with the UTG one piece at a slightly better cost, both mounts have the stud to help in eliminating movement as well as tape inside the rings. Clean the rail grooves and mount screws well with degreaser and you shouldn't have any issue.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:05 AM
mrjohns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs down UTG Mount

I have the UTG 1 piece mount on my Air Arms TX200 and it is solid. Has a stud inside one of the rings, that is adjustable.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doug, I use the Nikon EFR on a half dozen or so of our spring piston AGs and have never had any issues. It's a great scope. Get a good set of AG rings and you're good to go. The R7 isn't hard on scopes and haven't had issues with the scope or rings slipping, so I usually go with a light set of Sortsmatch rings to keep weight down.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Need either rings with a stop pin or a separate scope stop. Pyramydair has scads to choose from. R7-HW30 rifles aren't notorious as scope busters so that should take care of any problems with optics.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Whiskeyshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
Doug, I use the Nikon EFR on a half dozen or so of our spring piston AGs and have never had any issues. It's a great scope. Get a good set of AG rings and you're good to go. The R7 isn't hard on scopes and haven't had issues with the scope or rings slipping, so I usually go with a light set of Sortsmatch rings to keep weight down.
Yes, the R7 can use the Nikon EFR which I have but it seems over kill for the Little R7. Plus the cost. I just bought one for my 22.cal rimfire. $179.00The Nikon is great if you are really going out from 50-100 yds plus. But that is not what the R7 is all about. It is a great friendly backyard shooter. The Bug Buster can perform great for this use. Shoot flys on target at 20 yards no problem. And cost about half that or more. I do have other nice long distance rifles, (springers) and like my LGV, I use a "Clearidge". Great scope and very comparable to the Nikon, but weighs only 11 oz.

Last edited by Whiskeyshooter; 12-09-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:10 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (260)
I much appreciate all the feedback. I've been reviewing many options for bases, mounts, rings, etc. online. I think I might start with a set of Burris Air Rifle Signature rings (they have that stud to eliminate ring slippage) and they offer a clean, uncluttered scope mount. I'm expecting (hoping) too that the polymer inserts will grip the scope securely as well. We'll see.

Doug
Old 12-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Whiskeyshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyshooter View Post
Here is mine, A Santa Rosa with the Bug Buster scope which is ideal for light Springer. They are Air gun rated. I have about 4 or 5 of them on various air rifles. The R7 is a very light recoil for a Spring Piston Air Rifle. Most scope bases with be accepted. I like these off center rings and base. One Piece.

I also put this same set up on my Henry. It worked out well as it was tall enough to go over the Skinner Sights, so I did not have to remove them. I was nailing a target at 25 yds and then started shooting Clay Pigeon shards at 50 yds. The Henry and Bug Buster made easy work at the small target at 50 yds.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I much appreciate all the feedback. I've been reviewing many options for bases, mounts, rings, etc. online. I think I might start with a set of Burris Air Rifle Signature rings (they have that stud to eliminate ring slippage) and they offer a clean, uncluttered scope mount. I'm expecting (hoping) too that the polymer inserts will grip the scope securely as well. We'll see.

Doug
I suspect if you degrease everything thoroughly they could work well.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
That is a nice air rifle. I have the HW 30, and it is by far one of my favorites. I am using the iron sights on mine, but have a Williams Fool Proof ready for it.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Whiskeyshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You think the R7/HW 30 is nice now, put a Vortek Kit in, and it will make a great gun perfect. Higher FPS, Much more quiet and smooth. Worth every Penny.

http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/Airgun_Tune_Kits
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Yes, I have read about that kit.
I am content with the power and sound level of my rifle for now...and ,of course, the accuracy.