Benjamin R7 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:54 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (236)
Benjamin R7

I'm looking at a Benjamin R7 air rifle and wondering about the best choice(s) for pellets -- lighter, heavier, brand, design? I suspect that as with rimfire rifles there may be some individual ammo preferences, but where would be a good place to start? Make that a BEEMAN!

Doug

Last edited by dbr65; 12-05-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:40 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (16)
I think you mean the Beeman R-7, one of the best air rifles ever made. Use the Crosman Premier 8 grain round nose pellet or something similar from H&N. Pellet choice is very important. Note that the Weihrauch HW30 is the same rifle and may be cheaper on the market. Visit:

www.airgunsofarizona.com

$295 for the HW30 deluxe version with free shipping.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:48 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I'm looking at a Benjamin R7 air rifle and wondering about the best choice(s) for pellets -- lighter, heavier, brand, design? I suspect that as with rimfire rifles there may be some individual ammo preferences, but where would be a good place to start?

Doug
Definitely each barrel likes a particular pellet.

For me, JSBs are the best. Some folks find H&N to have the best. Fortunately both brands make a basic sampler, so I'd start there. Crosman Premiers also worked well but aren't available as a sample size.

Pyramid Air is my go-to.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2017, 08:48 PM
dbr65

TPC Rating: 
100% (236)
You're absolutely right, bart. I meant Beeman (don't know why/how it came out Benjamin). Duh! Thanks for feedback on the ammo, sir.

Doug

Last edited by dbr65; 12-04-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
You're absolutely right, bart. I meant Beeman (don't know why/how it cane out Benjamin). Duh! Thanks for feedback on the ammo, sir.

Doug
Weren't you the member who visits relatives out this way?

If so I can provide a bunch of .177 and .22 sample pellets or just let you do some testing. It doesn't take more than about 10 shots on a calm day to decide which pellets belong on the short list for in-depth testing. And we can go shoot Anschutzes.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 AM
dbr65

TPC Rating: 
100% (236)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
Weren't you the member who visits relatives out this way?

If so I can provide a bunch of .177 and .22 sample pellets or just let you do some testing. It doesn't take more than about 10 shots on a calm day to decide which pellets belong on the short list for in-depth testing. And we can go shoot Anschutzes.
You're right, David. You have a good memory! I have your contact info and I'll try to follow up with you whilst we're visiting. Weather this time of the year could be a challenge though. I ordered the Beeman (NOT Benjamin ) last night along with an assortment of .177 JSBs and H&Ns.

BTW, I'll probably want to put a scope on it, and I know that many scopes don't tolerate air rifles very well, but I don't want to go overboard on $ or power, so some scope guidance would be great.

Doug
Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I think you'll really like the Beeman, Doug. I have the R-9, that I got from Pyramid Air in a package with a scope. Pyramid lists it as a "Mantis" 4-12. Never heard of the brand. Mine has held up fine. Keep in mind that target shooting accuracy is best around 30 yards or less (I can go out to 50, but accuracy is not as good as a generic .22 LR rifle at that distance). But shorter distances mean that you don't necessarily need a ton of magnification to see your impact points. 12x is fine. I wouldn't be shy about calling Pyramid or StraIght Shooters and asking them about your scope needs. I have no special expertise about air rifle scopes though and would feel comfortable using price as a proxy for durability. Pyramid's offerings are here:

https://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accesso...gnification/94

Also, check out Straight Shooters' sample pack of .177 pellets (they have .22 too).

http://www.straightshooters.com/stra...pler-.177.html

It has always struck me as funny that air rifles are as picky as they are, while tins of pellets come in quantities of 500. . . that's a lot of surplus if your rifle and the pellets don't get along after the first 10 . . . The sample pack lets you dabble without making a huge commitment and contains pellets of different weights, designs, and brands.

I am still mastering the art of "free recoil" -- which is apparently what springers like best. I use the Beeman in my back yard with some steel plates against the shed/barn on days when a drive to the range is impractical. I also use it with a .22 steel bullet trap that holds your target and works well if you want to know where all the lead is.

Good luck! I went down this road in part as a response to the Great Ammo Shortage. You'lll recognize the quality in the Beeman right away, I think. I really didn't feel like I was giving up much compared to a .22 like a CZ in terms of quality or accuracy (allowances to be made for the lower muzzle speed of an air rifle and distance to target, of course).

Last edited by flangster; 12-05-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:42 AM
dbr65

TPC Rating: 
100% (236)
Thank you for that info, Ben. After all our communications re .22s, I didn't know you were "into" air rifles too. Otherwise, I could have picked your brain earlier. I definitely need to find an appropriate pellet trap. I had an RWS Diana years ago and gave it to my son, along with all the ancillary stuff, so starting over.

Doug
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Re: pellet traps, here is the one I have:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...re-bullet-trap

Not much to say about it other than "it works." The back panel is angled down at 45 degrees or so. Nice heavy painted steel. Should last a good long time.

You know, I really enjoy air rifles, but if given a choice (and time) would probably go shoot a .22 or larger caliber. In that sense, I doubt I will ever master shooting a .177 pellet rifle. But I do look at it as a fun back yard alternative. . . and good trigger time, which is helpful practice. I have two air pistols in addition to the one air rifle: a Beeman P3, and an IZH-46M, both of which are really, really accurate. I can hit an 8-inch plate with either at 30 yards, and am at about 50% for a 3 inch plate at the same distance. The Beeman P3 has a safety, the Izzy does not, the P3 has open sights, the Izzy wears an Ultradot. I recently bought a 1 inch steel plate to use the Izzy . . . that thing is just so accurate -- and insensitive to pellet weight -- that I had to get smaller targets to keep it fun.

Back to the Beeman. I shoot it off a large Caldwell deadshot bag like this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...-bag-set-nylon

I don't use the rear bag. Instead I shoulder the rifle and use the bag to support the forearm.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have two of the R7 in the HW version, namely the HW30S. Both of ours are in 177 and are our most used AGs. For myself and a lot of other R7/HW30S fans, the JSB Exact 7.33s and the HW30S are a perfect match for accuracy and this power level. Our HW30s, though, also do well with other pellets. Neither are pellet fussy.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:24 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
You might want to try ordering the pellet assortment online. JSB Match Diabolo Test Sampler, .177 Cal, Round Nose & Pointed, 4 Pellet Types, 400ct I thought that the Crosman Premiers did well until I upped the weight a bit to 8.26 gr. pellets. In my R7, groups on a calm day off a rest will do around 1" at 30 yards. That's about the max range for me to see well with my Nikon 3-9 EFR. I love my R7. Fit and finish are excellent. The trigger can be adjusted but mine needs to be tweaked a little yet to eliminate the take up. Easy to cock makes it easy to shoot more. The pine squirrels don't like it.

Last edited by alum572; 12-05-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:58 PM
dbr65

TPC Rating: 
100% (236)
I'm happy to hear so many favorable comments about the R7. It seems I made a good choice. And I much appreciate all the ammo recommendations. And thanks, alum, for the suggestion re the JSB assortment -- it's now in my Cart on Pyramyd Air.

Doug
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scopes for a springer, I tend to spend a little money on scopes and buy either a Leupold EFR series (3-9x33 EFR is about perfect on a springer) or Bushnell Elite series with AO.

I've heard good things about Nikon EFR and Hawkes but I don't have experience with them.

I always buy a good heavy mount for springer use. The R7 is not a hard hitter but there is no reason to skimp.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:58 AM
Whiskeyshooter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
R7 wit Vortek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
Scopes for a springer, I tend to spend a little money on scopes and buy either a Leupold EFR series (3-9x33 EFR is about perfect on a springer) or Bushnell Elite series with AO.

I've heard good things about Nikon EFR and Hawkes but I don't have experience with them.

I always buy a good heavy mount for springer use. The R7 is not a hard hitter but there is no reason to skimp.
First of all, I would get a small scope, like the Bug Buster scope for the R7. Fits the small R7 perfect and can shoot all the way down to 3 yards. Now do you want a Beeman R7 or the HW30? There is a difference. You can read about them at the link below. I have a Nikon EFR on a 22.cal rimfire, but you really do not need a big scope like that with the R7. These are very light recoil for a Spring Air gun. I highly suggest you get a Vortek Kit down the road. Makes the R7 even smoother than stock. Also will give you more FPS while making it smoother still.
I would suggest you get a "Pellet Sampler from the link below"

ALSO NOTE ON THE "OUR TAKE" WILL GIVE YOU DIFFERENT FPS AND OTHER INFO ON PELLETS FOR THE R7 AND HW30.

http://www.straightshooters.com/beem...177-beech.html

Read difference of R7 vs HW

http://www.straightshooters.com/weih...177-beech.html

VORTEK KITS and seals-note they will make the gun ultra quiet, increase FPS, and really smooth the gun down. I mean REALLY QUIET.
http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/

Here is mine. A vintage Santa Rosa.

Last edited by Whiskeyshooter; 12-09-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:32 PM
mje1066

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The R7, like all Beeman HWs, differs from the HW30 in that it has a different stock, and different markings.

I put a Vortek kit in mine as Id finally work out the spring after many decades of shooting (I bought it around 1985). It really is an excellent improvement for a worn gun. Very smooth shooting.