Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:25 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Reloading help please!

First I have been reloading for 30 years and have never had this problem. I am not a competitive shooter just reload for fun and hunting.

The problem, I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor in a Ruger Predator rifle and have shot about 100 rds of Hornady ammo through it to see how it shoots and accumulate some brass for reloading. The guns shoot great so had no concerns on chamber or anything else, also chambers and extract shells fine. I started out with a set of the new Hornady reloading dies, used them in other calibers and have worked great. I set my sizing die to just make pressure to the shell holder, set my depriming pin to protrude 3/16" from bottom of sizing die, lubed my case and proceeded to size a case. The case stuck in the die. Fought to finally get it out by removing the expander and spindle and driving the case out. The shell holder pulled the rim sides right off. I assumed the die may be bad as I eased another round up and could tell it would have the same problem so I returned the die set.

I had really wanted the Redding Premium die set with the indexed seating dial so waited for Brownells to get them in and picked it up. Just now went to repeat loading and same exact problem, this time struggling to get the casel out. I had figured maybe the case was harder material and was sizing hard as it went in but assumed it would extract fine. I had cleaned and lubed the die and lubed case as I Always have. What the heck is going on and how do I get this case out? The case Is measuring .461 at shoulder to .467 at closest point to the rim, as far as I can tell that is within spec. I did not check my neck thickness but the expander would be way past that as the case is clear in.

Any ideas on what I am doing? How do I get this case out without ruining the die? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by grg; 09-30-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:59 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
What are you lubing with? I have an RCBS stuck case remover that works slick. You're going to stick one now and then is how I look at it. I just bought some alcohol and lanolin to make my own lube, because Imperial Sizing Wax is great on smaller cases, but with 5.56 and up they stick badly. RCBS snot lube works but it's terribly messy and I have dented shoulders with it.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
I suggest getting the "carbide kit" expander ring for your Redding die. Get some Lapua brass while you're at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 01:37 PM
steelshooter1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1 on the rcbs stuck case remover, as far as using rcbs snot lube you are using to much lube or the vent hole is clogged. On the hornady die try backing the die off 1 turn to see if that helps, being that it is being shot in a bolt action it should not need full lenght sizing. Or it could be a defective die.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
I had cleaned and lubed the die and lubed case as I Always have. What the heck is going on and how do I get this case out?
I know it's counter-intuitive, but...

Don't do that!

The die should be clean and dry. Check that the breathing hole is not plugged with lube. I've only had problems before I learned to use less lube. Don't get any on the case neck, and only lube every 3rd or 4th case. More then that tends to clog the breather and case denting and/or stuck cases result.

After sizing, trimming, and priming, use powdered graphite lube in the top of the neck. Tap the side of the brass lightly to let the excess fall out. A little goes a long way.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:40 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelshooter1 View Post
+1 on the rcbs stuck case remover, as far as using rcbs snot lube you are using to much lube or the vent hole is clogged. On the hornady die try backing the die off 1 turn to see if that helps, being that it is being shot in a bolt action it should not need full lenght sizing. Or it could be a defective die.
I admit I used too much case lube, I had just re-lubed the pad. I wiped the rest of the cases down and that took care of it. Still messy though, looking forward to using the lanolin/alcohol mix, 1:9 mix is supposedly same as Dillon case lube..
Old 09-30-2017, 08:58 PM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinco2014 View Post
this is where ignoring the manufacturer and listening to some reloaders may help.
unscrew the die....
ram up, shell holder in place, lower handle/raise ram.
screw in the sizing die, till it touches the shell holder and then
BACK IT OUT maybe a turn and a half.

lube a case..lightly,
try to size
maybe nothing maybe a little.
so you should try for about 1/3 or more neck sizing,
and just enough case sizing so it rechambers.
so turn the die down a 1/4 turn..maybe less, and do it again)

( sizing the way the die people tell you is for lawyers and selling lots of brass, not for accuracy or long brass life)
Thanks Mike,

I just added your post to my loading reference folder!
Old 09-30-2017, 09:50 PM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Thanks for all the feedback, some helpful info. I use RCBS case lube, pretty sparingly as years ago I dented a few cases so have always watched it since then. This Redding set of dies is the first set that I have ever lubed and used a long swab with a very light thin lube on it, is it enough to stick a case could be but the Hornady set I never lubed.

I'm guessing that backing way off on how tight I turn the sizing die will take care of the problem. I usually full length size so I can shoot in multiple hunting rifles. If I dont fl size I use neck sizing dies. This is the only 6.5cm I have so won't worry about it.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:32 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do what Redding says -- clean the die well with solvent (Brake-Kleen) but do not lube it.

I then lube every case with Hornady Case Lube. The only time I ever have a problem is if I use too little lube (or the wrong kind). If the cases start getting sticky in the sizing die I know I should have put a couple more drops on the pad! All that double if the cases are nitride coated instead of plain brass.

Some of my shoulders need to be bumped back so that is what determines how far the cases go into the sizing die.

I need a girlfriend that loves to reload if anybody knows of any available.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:02 AM
divingin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For problem stuff, I use Royal Case and Die spray lube. Slipperier (is that a word?) than Hornady, but messier.

For normal sizing chores, I use Hornady (cleaner on hands) or the Royal, depending on my mood.

If I only have a couple of cases that I need to do, I pull out the Imperial sizing wax.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:19 AM
ericbc72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1 on the stuck case remover
A few points;
your die adjustment will not affect case sticking - converting .308 to .243 (for example) is a much more aggressive resizing operation and is done commonly.

I have never stuck a case by using too much lube - I have ruined a few by over lubing, which caused severe shoulder dents.

If you use the lanolin / alcohol lube in future, you have to let it dry comletely (like Hornady oneshot) or stuck cases will happen.

with standard expander balls, lube inside necks as well as the case exterior.

Do not use a full length sizing die to neck size - it can be done, but doing so with any tapered case is asking for early case head separation and headspace issues.

Finally ( maybe firstly) check your shell holder to see if it's pulling off the rim because it's oversize or the wrong number.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 AM
grg

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ericbc72,

You have hit upon one thing that keeps nagging at me, my shell holder. I need to do a little research and make sure I am not giving up something there. It seems to fit as well as most but if the case is super tight and my shell holder is just a smidgen off could be why it's pulling out. Going squirrel hunting this AM so will have to wait.

Thank you
Old 10-01-2017, 07:47 AM
Meroh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone try this stuff?

Couple friends are using it and are having great results!

Old 10-01-2017, 08:29 AM
RonC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stuck case...

I did pretty much same thing, resizing militart 30-06 brass. RCBS die, had resized hundreds of rounds over the years with it. I was using a liquid lube on RCBS lube pad. Should have used the wax based solid die lube. Die is on its way back to Oroville to have die refurbished, as I was unsuccessful in driving the case out.

Some brass alloys are really hard. I am debating whether to continue with case prep with these or just junk them.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:33 AM
abq87120
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had great luck using Hornady One Shot on 5.56 and 30.06. Line the cases on a cookie sheet and give them a shot. Use my finger to control rolling them a half turn and give them another shot. Dump into a Miracle Whip tub to dry and do the next batch.

BTW, has anyone ever tried automotive spray silicon? Just wondering.
Closed Thread