Webley Vulcan Variations? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Webley Vulcan Variations?

I am not straight on the history of the Webley Vulcan series.

Was there the Vulcan, Vulcan Mk I, Mk II and Mk III for a total of four variations made?

Or, is the original Vulcan considered to be a Mk I for a total of three variations made?

Also, what is the difference between these models?

I havenít been able yet to find much on the web about this rifle yet.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Spectrum
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Vulcan MK Variations

OldWolf: I found my bill of sale for a Vulcan MKIII Deluxe I bought in January of 1990. The rifle was serial nbr. 813123. It had a spring guide ( Called a "Spring Tamer") and a single-stage trigger which were supposedly improvements over the MKII series guns.
From looking at parts suppliers websites it can be deduced that certain stock dimensions changed over the series. I think they reprofiled the stock for easier machine fabrication on the later guns.
I ran across this review that was posted and one person pretty much describes his MKIII as having the same features.
How close is the serial number to my old one? That might give you an idea of which mark yours is. Also I was not an early buyer- the MKIII had been on the market for sometime before I bought mine.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-5699.html
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Mine is #020405, marked only as "Webley Vulcan". Sounds like it one of the early ones. I remember my FIL buying it around 1982 or so. I hope I can find the instructions for it.
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
There were three versions. The Vulcan, Vulcan II and Vulcan III. Mixed in amongst these was a "Deluxe" version with a walnut stock and checkering on the pistol grip. I don't know which "Mark" the Deluxe was available in. There was also one more variation of the Vulcan that wasn't called a Vulcan, the Beeman Bearcub, which had a very short carbine barrel with a small muzzle weight and iron sight on it. The C1 carbine used the same action as the Vulcan with a different stock and carbine length barrel.

I had a first model Vulcan I bought back in about 1980 or so. My first "real" air rifle. I put over thirty thousand pellets through that gun, with only one mainspring and piston seal replacement done. Easy to work on rifle. I sold it in the late 1980's to a guy in Birmingham AL who wanted one for a back yard shooter. He sent it to Beemans for a "Supertuneup" and I never saw it again after that. Probably still shooting. They were simple to work on, strongly built and well finished rifles.

I had an opportunity to buy a Webley Omega after selling off the Vulcan, but I foolishly passed. I could still kick myself a thousand times over for not getting that rifle!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:10 AM
Fenring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
The C1 carbine used the same action as the Vulcan with a different stock and carbine length barrel.
I could be wrong, but I thought the C1 used the action of the Webley Victor - Vulcan's smaller brother.

I'll have to have a dig through my considerable pile of 80's airgun mags to see if I can shed light on any of these queries...

Here's a Vulcan Carbine article from December '85 that I scanned a while back.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Dig scan and post man, I'd love to see a bunch of old articles!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Fenring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Standby for new thread - 80's airgun mag scans.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I have an a original Beeman Catalog from 1982. The one that looks like a magazine with a two page spread on all the rifle they sold at the time, including the Webley II (which I don't have).
Old 03-10-2013, 05:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Had the Vulcan out this afternoon. Was considering going to the firing range with some of my rimfire rifles. Decided to stay home instead and target shoot with my air rifle. Now that I got the Williams receiver sight on it fixed, I can make nice small groupings again. I using my last box of Beeman Silver Jets.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Does anyone have a scan of an original Vulcan manual that they email to me?