First firearm, already thinking a different one? Advice - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First firearm, already thinking a different one? Advice

I have lots of friends with hand guns and rifles. I decided to get one for myself and landed a takedown tactical model. Plan was a budget build that's easy to shoot and fun. Because I live in CA I opted for a 22 instead of having all the limitations of of an AR.

So I took it out and put 300 rounds through it. And I have a few questions.

I accidentally dry fired it thinking there was an 11th round, I was told this is very bad for a rimfire. Did I do some damage? My aim was off to the left most of the night so I need to figure out how to shoot this thing too.

My original plan was to upgrade this to a fun, cheap, reliable, we'll known brand, with lots of upgrade options, ar15 looking gun and it's turning out to be pretty expensive. Tactical stock 200 bucks extra plus scope, bipod. Making the total 550 before scope and extras.

Now I'm thinking it's more efficient to not upgrade this and just buy an S&W 15-22 for 400.......for a fully functional little AR. But I only wanted one rifle!

Anyone have a 15-22 and can say they like the 10-22 with upgraded stock a lot better?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited by chomorro; 07-06-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:10 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomorro View Post
I accidentally dry fired it thinking there was an 11th round, I was told this is very bad for a rimfire. Did I do some damage?
Probably not.

Rugers have a stop designed into the striker (firing pin) that prevents contact with the face of the barrel. If everything is in spec the striker came this >.< close to hitting the face of the barrel but didn't hit it hard enough to put a divot there.

Guns without a stop designed into the striker can put a divot in the face of the barrel when dry fired. (since the striker isn't centered in the bore but has to hit the cartridge rim, eh?) That divot pushes metal into the chamber which can cause a tight fit leading to failures to extract and, if bad enough, can cause failures to fire as the "anvil" once provided by the face of the barrel is now a hollow spot. That's why the admonition against dry firing rimfires.

Last edited by Sophia; 07-06-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Probably not.

Rugers have a stop designed into the striker (firing pin) that prevents contact with the face of the barrel. If everything is in spec the firing pin came this >.< close to hitting the face of the barrel but didn't hit it hard enough to put a divot there.

Guns without a stop designed into the striker can put a divot in the face of the barrel (since the striker isn't centered in the bore but has to hit the cartridge rim, eh?) when dry fired. That divot pushes metal into the chamber which can cause a tight fit leading to failures to extract and, if bad enough, can cause failures to fire as the "anvil" once provided by the face of the barrel is now a hollow spot. That's why the admonition against dry firing rimfires.
Excellent thank you. The guy at the gun store was saying I could have caused lots of damage. So I started counting rounds each clip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 AM
BC42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's no bolt hold on last shot so pretty much everyone that owns and shoots a 10/22 dry fires their rifle after the last round and there's no mass failure of these rifles, and there's a LOT of these in circulation.

As stated above, the 10/22 is designed so the firing pin doesn't hit the barrel so you have nothing to worry about. I dry fire mine all the time for fun and practice.

The only warning is to fire with a mag in the rifle. Don't fire a round w/o a mag.

A friend had a tactical stock on his 10/22 and I didn't like it too much. The 15/22 is a great rifle if you want an AR style rifle but it still has to conform to CA laws. Just because it's a .22lr doesn't mean the rules don't apply. It's still a semi-auto with a pistol grip and it looks scary. You might need to check the legality of a tactical stock too.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well scratch my whole question. I was in the market for an ar15 stock kit. Ended up finding only one online because apparently it's been discontinued for the takedown model so I jumped on it last night. So no 15-22 and I'm sticking with the ruger.

Regarding CA law I was told by the gun store because it's rim fire most of the laws don't apply. I researched online and it seems to be true. I just have to abide by the 10 round magazine restriction.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:48 PM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC42 View Post

The only warning is to fire with a mag in the rifle. Don't fire a round w/o a mag.
HUH? Tell us why?