Aluminum foil bedded (sorry for the pics) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:18 PM
TeamMudd
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aluminum foil bedded (sorry for the pics)

The brief history of this rifle is that it was purchased for my daughter to shoot small bore 4H shooting competitions. It's a Ruger 10/22, synthetic stock, fiber optic sights, extended mag release, modified bolt release, OnTactical charging handle w/ black spring, full floated barrel, aluminum foil tape bedded receiver.

She started shooting 4H and the fiber optic sights helped for target sighting, and the extended mag release helped her on the line for a great mag change after 5 rounds. We were adjusting sights almost more than shooting, so I decided to full float the barrel. I used a sanding flapper wheel to shave the sides of the stock, and a good ol deepwell socket and sand paper for the barrel rest at the end of the stock. the right side of the stock was pressing on the barrel more than one would think. after researching more ways to tighten up the accuracy of the 10/22 I came across the "aluminum foil bedding" thread located here ( https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=465604 ). The only thing I did different was apply the tape to the stock instead of the receiver like in the pictures in the thread. I ended up with 8 squares on the rear of the receiver and 6 on the left and right of the receiver.

Sorry for the rudimentary pictures, but it's been storming pretty regularly here in Louisiana so I just hit the target backing with some spray paint and went to testing. my main focus is the grouping compared to what it was before. She would often shoot baseball size groups even after I floated the barrel. I had read about glass bedding, but was reluctant to take the plunge, but so far i'm happy with the aluminum foil bedding!

the top right is the Federal bulk 36g rounds and the lower left is the Winchester M-22 40g rounds. Target set at 50yards.

Last edited by TeamMudd; 08-13-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Right here in SS

If you look just up from where you posted this you will see SuperStock Stickies and one of them is SuperStock Tech. There are several in there you may want to check out including this one which was the first of my Aluminum Tape Bedding Tutorials:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=462480

I am very glad what you did helped! You may want to look into a little upward pressure on the barrel using tape in the barrel channel. After doing thousands of rounds of testing the two best places with a wooden stock are about 1.5 inches in front of the Vee Block (use a 1-1.5" tape area)or right out at the tip of the forearm. There are always exceptions but few 10/22 Sporters shoot best free floated. Almost all need a barrel support. Why is that?

The 10/22 is a single take down design with that take down roughly in the middle of the rifle. With out any support the barreled action tends to rock or what we call teeter totter in the stock. All it takes is a microscopic movement to make groups much bigger. Of course that is one of the beauties of tape bedding anyway. Try a couple spots and see what works and if free floating is best just tear the tape out!

Another thing to look at is make sure that the stock is not touching the Vee Block. I usually relieve the area around the Vee Block so it can not touch.

Hope those help too and if you need any accuracy help with a semi auto sporter this forum is a good place to start as that is why we started it.

Welcome to SuperStock!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 08-14-2016, 06:08 PM
TeamMudd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will definitely look at more details as far as accuracy goes. I'm using the out of the box synthetic stock which isn't the greatest, but I have to keep that to stay with in the guide lines. The factory synthetic stock doesn't have much as far as an area goes for barrel bedding or to provide barrel pressure. I will check the V-block and see if it is contacting the stock. If it is, I wonder if i could use the same aluminum take and put a layer or 2 around the mounting screw and raise the v-block off the stock slightly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016, 07:05 PM
TeamMudd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I checked the clearance between the V-block and the stock , and the V-block is not touching the stock.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMudd View Post
I will definitely look at more details as far as accuracy goes. I'm using the out of the box synthetic stock which isn't the greatest, but I have to keep that to stay with in the guide lines. The factory synthetic stock doesn't have much as far as an area goes for barrel bedding or to provide barrel pressure. I will check the V-block and see if it is contacting the stock. If it is, I wonder if i could use the same aluminum take and put a layer or 2 around the mounting screw and raise the v-block off the stock slightly.
Are you talking about 4H Guidelines? You most certainly do not need to use that stock to stay in SuperStock Guide lines. Even with 4H a wood Ruger stock would be easy to get, and afford, and being much easier to tune.

Sometimes, often even, for a good reason like a stock for your daughter to compete with they can sometimes be found here in SuperStock or the rest of RFC for the cost to ship it!!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 PM
TeamMudd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
no not the superstock guidelines but the 4h guidelines. The rifle can't weigh over 8.5lbs, trigger pull no less than 3lbs (on 3 consistent pulls), V-grove rear sight (fiber optic allowed).

I was looking into putting a Volquartsen Custom Target Hammer. I've read where just using the hammer reduces the trigger pull to around 3.5lbs. as long as they can pull it 3 times and it not go below 3lbs she'll be good to go.

I will check out ebay for some take off stocks as well and see if i can locate a wood stock for cheap.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:36 PM
Tyendor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMudd View Post

I will check out ebay for some take off stocks as well and see if i can locate a wood stock for cheap.
There's an unused take off stock here on the trading post.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...o=ad&id=119225
Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
$35 is about top dollar for a stock like that. Even though it is in the high range for $$ you can see what I meant by affordable and is MUCH easier to tune for accuracy than one of the injection molded plastic stock which will never be as stable as the stock wood one.

Weight? Probably not as much as one might think. Depending on the piece of wood it may even be lighter and is easy to lighten up from there doing things like taking butt plate of and drilling deep, wide holes on the butt, put plate back one and it is just as good as ever just lighter!. Same could be done with the forearm but I think you will be fine with weight anyway.

That stock would be easier to bed which ever way you choose. Another thought is, I can not speak for others but for me, when it gets very warm or very cold wood is more comfortable to snuggle up to.

One ironic thing is when we first went to "synthectic" stock back in the late 1970s they were like my very early Brown Precision hand laid fiber glass an completely stable compared to wood. These days MOST "synthetic" stocks are injection molded plastic which is LESS stable than hard wood as found on the 10/22 in question.

I have a Rem Mod 700 ADL which I bought new in 1978 or 79 in .243. I glass bedded it and it was a very accurate .6 or so MOA. Problem was one week it was .6 here and the next week it was .6 WAY over there!!. After putting said barreled action into the Brown Stock the problem disappeared. A few years back I was stunned to realize I had not shot it in almost 10 years!! I keep targets in 3 ring binder with all the load info and everything rather than taking notes. Was easy to find last target and I still had almost 30 rounds of the same ammo loaded for it. Just wondering what would happen I put the target up and shot another 5 shot group after fouling the barrel with two shots.

This 5 shots went into the same group after 10 years of storage and moving my residence several times! More than that the now 10 shot group measured .7 MOA which it probably would have done even if even id shot all at the same time because a 10 shot group is just likely to be slightly larger than a 5 shot group!!

Now it is not easy to find stocks like that as most synthetic stocks are plastic and they will stress relieve even if just left i the sun and put differing pressure on the barreled action than was likely present when you worked on it last..

Just a few thoughts. NOT being critical of the rifle as it is now.. If you daughter is happy with it that is the most important thing

Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 PM
TeamMudd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was off work monday and instead of doing what I probably needed to be doing, I figured I'd try out the bedding set up as well as do some ammo testing. I wish i had pictures of the original out of the box grouping. It honestly resembles the bottom left target. That is about what it looked like right out of the box no matter which brand of ammo I put through it.

The CCI standard velocity and the Aguila had the best groups from the bench, open sights. I'm sure there is some more fine tuning I can get out of it, but this is a very good improvement compared to what I started with.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
As long as you are improving you are going in the right direction correct?

Do not forget that after a week or two you can probably fit anothewr layer of tape or two and tighten it up some more.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:42 PM
TeamMudd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are correct. It's much better than it was out of the box, that is what I was going for.