Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I hear you Vincent. Debating on whether or not to renew my membership soon too. I only go the range in summer months. This summer, it will likely be way easier, cheaper, more time/energy efficient for me to tote some shade to my usual spot in the middle of nowhere than to go to the range just to be in the shade. Still won't go very often. Reason is my dogs are my primary reason for going so often in the winter months. I cannot take them out in the heat or when the snakes are out early in the day. Can't take the dogs, got very little reason to go. Just liking to go shooting 22s is not in itself enough to justify the hassle. The other side of that coin is if I have something NEW to try, which is almost always, it does give me the incentive to go in the summer too. Just not as often. Also, when the temps are up, so is the wind and the vertical air currents. My experience has been that at the range in the summer time it is only good for seeing how stuff actually feels, works, mechanically during actual use vs at home. As for accuracy, its out the window when the heat picks up. I am not that dedicated to mastering the elements for being a master marksman so much as I am the tinkering and inventing and experimenting to find out what works and to an extend crafts/hobby related end of it too.

The lack of marksmanship when spitting peas into the wind is likely a big part of why my groups tend to go the way you see my targets.

Generally, I get one very good group, one good enough group, one almost good enough group, and one embarrassingly bad group. On average, with target grade ammo that is. Which results in 2/4 groups under the moa mark and two over.

With favorable winds, like a steady 3mph from 4:30 being my favorite, and RM ammo, I can usually do okay.

I have been considering getting more RM or PM ammo and taking more time to shoot keeping the overall cost the same. My biggest single cost for this stuff is the ammo.

I have been, since the shortage of bulk ammo started, been doing more and more of that and have transitioned from a golf-ball hunter/plinker to what I now refer to as a 'Table Top' shooter.

Never going to be a full up bench rest guy. Its not my style. When it gets to point of spending a small fortune on wind measuring devices and sitting next the rig waiting for the right conditions and then just touching a 3oz pull trigger w/o even looking thru the scope I have lost all interest. Been there and done that last year at ARA unlimited. I am not knocking it, I just don't care to do it and certainly not going to spend more on a peashooter and the gear to go with it than I would on a truck.

Those guys have Gorhams sitting on Pappas with scopes that cost more than all the peashooters I own combined. They have more invested in wind flagometry than I have in my entire rig. They take their peashooters to the Tunnel and lot test ammo that cost at least $10/bx and buy two cases at a time. They will let you try their stuff. Very nice people. Very nice stuff. Don't see why it is such a big deal to have that and do that tho. I would rather go out in my shop and make something out of table(saw) scraps.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:51 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromie View Post
This sure is a nice looking rifke. In looking at the parts list, I think it should shoot much better than it does. It seems like POI shifts around a lot. I can't help but think the bedding is the culprit . I would be willing to bet there is some unwanted presure on the barrel or action. Don't give up on it. Have you considered Vincent's bedding method, or even the little twist I use with Vincent's method?
As far as I know Vincent's method is not much different, if any, than what I have done prior to making and installing a rear tang for the purpose of attempting to get a better result free floated over 'tuned' with pressure pad.

As for your twist, I know I saw something about that recently. I will have to try to figure out what your twist is specifically.

If you can give it to me in a nutshell so I know what to look for that would be appreciated.

If it does not require starting with a new stock or something like that, I would probably try it.

I was going to enter one of those cards in the 13mm challenge. Have had a few others that would have been okay but didn't for whatever reason.

I don't believe in entering old cards. It is just me being SuperMental. I don't judge others over it one way or the other.

Now you make a good point, if I am to enter a card, it needs to be a good one cuz you only get to go once.

Three out of four ain't bad but it needs to be 4/4 groups with all 4rds touching.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Chromie

TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Basically , after the reciever is bedded and cleaned up, I then go back and bed the rear of the trigger group. You must be very careful with this method, and you must have good tight trigger pins. I use the Kidd pins, never had a problem
Old 04-03-2016, 11:23 AM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the tip. That is a good nutshell description!

Won't work for me on this stock but it might on another down the road.