What is your Super Stock rest - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-26-2016, 01:56 PM
86c's Avatar
86c
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jul 2014
Posts: 
1,657
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
So you guys DO have a sense of humor after all.

Yep, simple bags front and rear only with windage adjustment that never binds and its already 100% set up when I put it on the table. Light and easy compared to the boat anchor I bought earlier this year (similar to what you all love which is PURE BENCH REST COMPETITION stuff) and couldn't wait to ditch. Not that I blame Smooth for leading me down that path or anything.

Bi-pods are purely a-spiritual, para-military gear and that is all there is too.

The boat anchors are purely bench rest competition and nothing spiritual about them.

However, I definitely wish I was still young enough and healthy enough to even try to haul that concrete range bench out to the field with me like you do. That is the heaviest portable table I have ever seen in my life. Kudos to you for being able to heft it.

Wait, don't tell me...you use a hoist.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Chromie's Avatar
Chromie

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Location: 
Missouri
Posts: 
5,949
TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post
So you guys DO have a sense of humor after all.

Yep, simple bags front and rear only with windage adjustment that never binds and its already 100% set up when I put it on the table. Light and easy compared to the boat anchor I bought earlier this year (similar to what you all love which is PURE BENCH REST COMPETITION stuff) and couldn't wait to ditch. Not that I blame Smooth for leading me down that path or anything.

Bi-pods are purely a-spiritual, para-military gear and that is all there is too.

The boat anchors are purely bench rest competition and nothing spiritual about them.

However, I definitely wish I was still young enough and healthy enough to even try to haul that concrete range bench out to the field with me like you do. That is the heaviest portable table I have ever seen in my life. Kudos to you for being able to heft it.

Wait, don't tell me...you use a hoist.
I certainly don't understand your repeated spiritual references to the bi-pod and adjustable front rest.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-26-2016, 03:49 PM
86c's Avatar
86c
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jul 2014
Posts: 
1,657
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vincent said my keel was CLEARLY not in the spirit. Tiny little piece of wood that rides between the ears of simple sand bag rest.

You guys all gave me a hard time about it being too much bench rest. I think that is very funny.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Danv's Avatar
Danv
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2013
Location: 
Wisconsin
Posts: 
305
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Caldwell and 86c this is a portable bench.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Chromie's Avatar
Chromie

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Location: 
Missouri
Posts: 
5,949
TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Nice bench.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Chromie's Avatar
Chromie

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Location: 
Missouri
Posts: 
5,949
TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
86c, I don't care what you shoot off of, just shoot and have fun.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-26-2016, 06:26 PM
86c's Avatar
86c
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
Jul 2014
Posts: 
1,657
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I appreciate all the contributions to this thread. I still like seeing all the different stuff people use for SuperStock.

A year ago when I started this thread I wanted something that would be a LOT easier to adjust for windage. So when the boat anchor didn't work out the way I thought it would I went back to simple only a LOT better. Love it. The much heavier table top is a huge improvement too.

DanV I like the way that Caldwell seats the driver behind the rig. That is the only way I am comfortable shooting off a table.

Vincent needs one of those.



I have shot off these bags this way on the same 'heavy' portable table but actually like the jean legs on a stand in front a lot better than the front bag in this picture. The jean legs work great in my redneck rest too they just don't look as nice as the suede ones.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Al the Infidel's Avatar
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2007
Location: 
Yoopersville, MI
Posts: 
1,012,293
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Olde style LeadSled with a modified front rest to prevent canting/rolling. Back in the olden tymes we used a sack of feed corn to sight in our hunting rifles. A rifle nestles in a sack of corn quite nicely for a steady shot.
__________________
If we were serious about saving lives, our vehicles would have breathalyzers tied into ignition kill switches.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-26-2016, 09:20 PM
Chromie's Avatar
Chromie

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Location: 
Missouri
Posts: 
5,949
TPC Rating: 
94% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Olde style LeadSled with a modified front rest to prevent canting/rolling. Back in the olden tymes we used a sack of feed corn to sight in our hunting rifles. A rifle nestles in a sack of corn quite nicely for a steady shot.
Boy you ain't lying, I shot off feed sacks, blankets rolled uparound boards and all kinds of stiff. Feed sacks are very solid
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,965
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post
I appreciate all the contributions to this thread. I still like seeing all the different stuff people use for SuperStock.

A year ago when I started this thread I wanted something that would be a LOT easier to adjust for windage. So when the boat anchor didn't work out the way I thought it would I went back to simple only a LOT better. Love it. The much heavier table top is a huge improvement too.

DanV I like the way that Caldwell seats the driver behind the rig. That is the only way I am comfortable shooting off a table.

Vincent needs one of those.



I have shot off these bags this way on the same 'heavy' portable table but actually like the jean legs on a stand in front a lot better than the front bag in this picture. The jean legs work great in my redneck rest too they just don't look as nice as the suede ones.
I absolutely HATE shooting from directly behind a rifle, pistol yes but rifle I can not see how anyone could get a cheek weld sitting BEHIND a rifle. Think of how you hold a rifle shooting off hand...THAT is how rifles are intended to be shot with at least 45 deg and maybe close to 60 or so from the side.....Have you ever seen a person shoot a rifle from behind off hand. You would have to be built like a chimpanzee!!

If you want to get behind a rifle than good for you. Do not ever expect to see me shooting like a chimp

86 you come up with some the weirdest stuff I have ever heard of when it comes to shooting.

That is why we are happy to have you around here....entertainment value!!

By the way have any of you seen some of the homemade front rests made from a car scissor jack? I have seen several very nice ones and a couple thrown together. I saw two with very nice horizontal machined tops built from billet aluminum and saw a decent one, very good made with a top of welded and drilled "angle iron" that was actually and old bed frame. Mount one on a 3 or 4 screw base and you can have a pretty cool rest for next to nothing if you are handy The nicest one I saw with the machine aluminum top the guy claimed to have under $10 in it and I would have been proud to have owned it.

If you do not care about sideways adjustment they can be very easy too. They can even be used as part of a big one piece rest. Always fun for me to see someone take a bunch of junk stuff and turn it into something that will go with the very expensive stuff! I have also seen plans for these things on the net but anyone handy enough to build a nice one would probably not need plans.
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,965
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What ever 86 is doing I am jealous because that all looks like high desert behind him and I love the high deserts. To me most of the prettiest places I have been, and have been and lived many places the high deserts will always be my favorite. My daughter knows exactly where to put my ashes. They will blend in quite well and when that desert wind blows I will fly again.
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 PM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,965
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromie View Post
I certainly don't understand your repeated spiritual references to the bi-pod and adjustable front rest.
You know the term "in the spirit if not the letter of the law"?

Years ago we had a sticky explaining the "Spirit of SuperStock" to try to explain what all this is about telling him his keel is not, at that time, against the letter of the rules but certainly not within the spirit of the rule. Now it is both!! The power of a vote is all it took Now as far as using the thing he obviously is welcome to. I bought one from a member here in 2005 that was made by Shilen or MacMillan or one of the famous bench rest companies to use on my T/C Classic as it has a pretty round bottom. The thing mounted on a sling std and had two tightening scews from the sides that were perfect for screwing up a walnut stock. Tried it twice and that was that.

Being 86 and weird, I sometimes wonder if 86 comes from the bottle he has as in 86 Proof as many whiskeys are. That would explain many of his comments and his obsession with the term. I think to reward him for all that I will start referring to him as "Proof" Then again it might come from working with all that RTV in an enclosed area!!.

Don't worry Proof you are welcome here!
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x