Taurus 992 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:07 PM
mlbrenner
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mine's Good!

I've had 4-inch Stainless Steel for about 18 months and I have had zero problems with it. I regularly change cylinders at the range and alternate 22 LR and .22 mag at the same shooting session. This gun is accurate and completely reliable.

It is heavy for a four inch. I bought it for use as a kit gun and had a kydex holster made for it, which helps some. I really like the adjustable sights and the deeply recessed crown. The rifling displays tool marks on the lands, but that doesn't seem to affect accuracy. It cleans up with no problems. Perhaps those tool marks will smooth out with use; I suppose I could fire lap it, but as long as it puts every cylinder full into a single mash, I'm happy with it.

If you have the change to buy a 992, do so!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 AM
jdavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know that this thread has a bit of age on it but, I will weigh in on it anyway. I hope that NASA ignored the usual nay sayers and Taurus bashers and was able to get his 992. Several decades ago, I might have tried to discourage him also but, Taurus has greatly improved their QC since then. They aren't going to be perfect but, if you check Ruger and S&W forums, you will see that they aren't either. I purchased a Taurus 990 SS4 a couple of years ago because I was in need of a .22 revolver as a "knock around" gun and plinker and didn't want to pay S&W or Ruger prices. The Tracker frame size was perfect and the build quality looked good. The surprise came with the use of it. The double action was pretty smooth and has become even better with use. It isn't a K22 but it is pretty darn close. It shoots great and has run without issue digesting countless rounds from various manufacturers. I have nothing negative to say about my experience with this revolver and would recommend it to anyone.
This is a photo of my 990 fitted with Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips:
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jdavis; 01-30-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:02 AM
rangefinderII
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have several Taurus revolvers (M85, M605) and they are good weapons. So I got a Model 94, stainless, 2" barrel. I found the DA trigger a bit rough but it's either getting easier or I'm getting use to it. It's a fun gun to take to the range.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM
NASA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I appreciate all the encouraging comments, but I still haven't found one I can buy. The factory told me they are still in production and are shipping them, but I can't find a shop with any in stock. I'd be happy with a used one if I could find someone willing to let go of theirs.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:29 AM
bigwheel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's one if you don't mind stainless.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=540530676#PIC
Old 02-14-2016, 06:03 PM
NASA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That would have been perfect, except it was sold when I called. Still looking.