Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:48 PM
WyoLongGunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The "Truck Gun"

A little preface; I find it interesting having come and gone through the years in this community to see that my rifles when I first built them fit solidly in the "Ultimate" category and seem to no longer match that appellation.

The following rifle was won years ago on a raffle, which sparked an instant decision to put as much money in parts into it as it would have cost to purchase. This caused a rapid slide into more and more parts.

The original configuration was a GM .920 barrel stuffed into a Fajen stock. In that config it wouldn't shoot no matter what I did. Until I took the barrel to a belt sander.

Second configuration was the same redneck'd GM barrel, synthetic sporter style stock with the hollow but filled with lead and spray foam to balance the barrel, VQ bolt, VQ TG2000 trigger group, OE everything else.

Third configuration was same redneck'd GM barrel, McMillan STC stock, VQ TG2000 trigger group, everything else Rimfire Technologies.

Fourth, and current, configuration is now Kidd, McMillan, and Ruger. Kidd products are 20" SS target barrel, bolt, 2 stage trigger group, recoil rod/spring, bolt buffer, pins, etc. Those are all mated up with the same old Ruger receiver nestled in a McMillan Sporter stock.

Also went through three scopes, cheap old Bushnell variable, a US Optics SN3 3.5-17 (until it went on the 308 that was being built), and a Leupold FXIII 6x42 that has been on it for quite a few years now.

Going to try and make it to the range tomorrow since spring is here in the Rockies (the North Platte is no longer frozen, been in the 50's, and it rained all day today ) and get some pictures of the gun and targets.

That makes me realize I have enough parts laying around I could build three other Heavy's if I only go buy some receivers

Edit: Wow. Looking at my join date that means I've had this one and only Ruger 10/22 for 9 or 10 years now. I think its time to expand the stable.

Last edited by WyoLongGunner; 01-28-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 AM
plinker4life
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Ok........you have my attention now. We are a visual bunch of guys here so you will have to post some pictures soon.

Welcome to Super Sport!!!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 AM
SwampF0X

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
You used a belt sander on your barrel? Please explain.

Yes, you are way behind. We need to see more builds, with pics.

swampf0x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2015, 04:15 PM
WyoLongGunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampF0X View Post
You used a belt sander on your barrel? Please explain.
So the rifle wouldn't ignite a cartridge due to light strikes. It would fire maybe one in five. Was at a friends house watching an MMA fight BSing about what could be causing the issues with my gun. I mention I should take it to a gun smith and have the chamber end of the barrel shortened, or shim it to push the tennon further towards the muzzle thereby allowing the hammer a full strike on the firing pin rather than striking the bolt as the wear pattern indicated.

Said friend disappeared for a minute and came back with a belt sander.

We disassembled the 10/22, he held the belt sander, and I held the barrel while running the chamber end of the barrel on said belt sander. It took three or four times of doing this until I could run an entire mag through the gun shooting out his open sliding glass door into his back yard.

Amazingly enough, this didn't seem to cause any ill effect on the accuracy of the rifle which is why the barrel stayed that way for years and years. I'll have to see if I can get a good macro shot of it, its quite amusing.

I will neither confirm nor deny if there was beer involved

Last edited by WyoLongGunner; 01-29-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 01-29-2015, 04:20 PM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No funny looks here... my first couple of rechambers were done on a bench sander, then cleaned up with a PTG reamer. Seem to shoot right up there with the rest of the quarter inch club, though I haven't been able to get one into the 1/8 ball yet, but that's just me, not the barrels.

Bob
Old 01-29-2015, 04:41 PM
WyoLongGunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some pictures from today at the range:

The Truck Gun:

I'm impressed with the Kidd crown, though am probably going to have my gunsmith turn that into a recessed floor board crown:

Here are some 10 shot groups that were shot with lord only knows what ammunition of a vintage that I can't even begin to fathom (it all came out of that snapware container that can be seen in the first photo):

Here is one 30 shot group because I could:

Can't wait to see what I can do with it once the Eley I have on order shows up!

Edit: Please let me know if the images don't show up. I've been playing with my smugmug privacy settings.

Last edited by WyoLongGunner; 01-29-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 PM
SwampF0X

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Nope, can't see the pics.

swampy
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 PM
WyoLongGunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Changed the settings to where you should be able to see them now, please let me know.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:01 PM
WyoLongGunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just dug through my picture archives to see how things have progressed, obviously missed a few steps in the evolution. Oh well.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:28 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
That's a cool looking 10/22!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
So many rifles here have gone through many lives much as yours has. I have never heard of the belt sander as an accuracy improvement but it makes perfect sense once you think about it. Not much to loose at that point anyway right?

I love your no B.S. approach to it!! People here have accused me of being a butcher by how I repair the crown of a rifle even though I got it right out of Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks book and then later adapted it but same theory. It was hilarious how many people just went nuts when I told them I did the crown with a round head brass screw and valve lapping compound.. Of course it never mattered my rifles SHOT BETTER than theirs or at least better than them, I am not sure which

Heck it is only STEEL! How bad could you screw it up? Worse case you send to one of the guys that rechamber even if you did screw it up. I am not a fan but I hear beer works as a great lubricant....no not for the rifle!

I am so sorry I missed your post earlier as I have been very busy. I really like not only the rifle but your approach to things. You ought to fit in just fine with this crowd of good but somewhat tilted folks. I like tilted folks!! I see one every morning. In the mirror!!

Oh and one other thing......

Welcome to SuperSport!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 01-30-2015, 09:48 PM
WyoLongGunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I love your no B.S. approach to it!! People here have accused me of being a butcher by how I repair the crown of a rifle even though I got it right out of Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks book and then later adapted it but same theory. It was hilarious how many people just went nuts when I told them I did the crown with a round head brass screw and valve lapping compound.. Of course it never mattered my rifles SHOT BETTER than theirs or at least better than them, I am not sure which
Hack saw to cut the barrel, round head brass screw, lapping compound, some elbow grease and a person can have an awesome shooting barrel of whatever length they choose
Old 01-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ain't life grand!! I thought you would fit right in here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk