Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM
10ring1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
'Gold Line' Challenger

Forgive my ignorance here but I am not familiar with the 'Gold Line' in the Challenger. Says one of a 140 something. Not that I want to purchase it, just curious if the gold inlay is factory and if this looks like an unmolested spcimen. http://www.gunsinternational.com/BRO...n_id=100357902
Old 08-25-2013, 03:31 AM
Cramiekske

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, this is a gold line Challenger, but to my opinion way overpriced. Look at this auction for another "Gold line Challenger". Gold inlay is standard as of factory. I don't think there are many around in very good quality.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...-pistol-22-cal

Best Regards

Last edited by Cramiekske; 08-25-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ring1 View Post
Forgive my ignorance here but I am not familiar with the 'Gold Line' in the Challenger. Says one of a 140 something. Not that I want to purchase it, just curious if the gold inlay is factory and if this looks like an unmolested spcimen. http://www.gunsinternational.com/BRO...n_id=100357902
Original in my opinion,and not uncommon that they get priced like a Renaissance model.The second one mentioned may go cheaply,but the condition is not what a collector would want,so ??
I know that Angelo Bee has done some upgrades of standard versions.When you analyze his work,the lines aren't that straight-not something that I would want.Even factory Renaissance engraving on all pistols often seems inferior to the work done on other high grade Brownings.

I upgraded the grips on my standard Challenger to Gold line versions when I had the op to buy a NOS set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 PM
seaotter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Production of the Challenger model started at about serial number 4006U2 (earliest known to us) in 1962 with sales initiated in June of that year. The Challenger was manufactured with three different exterior finish variations; standard blue and two high grades. The first high grade introduced in 1962 was the Gold Line. The second high grade was the Renaissance introduced in 1970. The Gold Line had fine inlay gold wire along the sides and top of the frame and barrel. The Renaissance was a highly decorative engraved model. A total of 293 Gold Line models were made according to most references. An article in the BCA newsletter for May/June 1990 indicates there may have been as many as 399 Gold Line models made. A total of 417 Renaissance models were made according to most references and that same BCA newsletter indicates a higher number of 594. We accept something close to the lower numbers, but slightly above, to be correct.

BBGV says 147 Gold Challengers had 4 1/2 inch barrel and 146 with 6 3/4 inch barrel. Other references state that only two Gold Medalist were made in 1962. I know of and have verified the serial numbers on four Gold Mealist made in 1962 It is very likely that more were made in 1962.

The Gold Challener shown in the link of post 1 above is a 1962 or 1963 model indicated by the left side barrel address.

I ment to say Medalist, not Challenger. Trying to show references not alway correct. A fellow poster here caught me with a nice email. SO

According to Browning catalogs it is "Gold" not "Gold Line". Now most, including me, call them Gold Line.

SO

Last edited by seaotter; 08-26-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:06 PM
seaotter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
[QUOTE=Camster;4688876]second one mentioned may go cheaply,but the condition is not what a collector would want,so ??
QUOTE]

It appears that sale ended nearly a year ago. Not sure of the price, but expect it went for more than $1800 even in that condidion.

As a collector looking for as many variations as possible for a particular model, (my collection of Belgium Challengers) I would rather have a 4 1/2 inch Gold Challenger in that condition than not having one at all. There is the opportunity to upgrade somewhere down the road. There are many reasons to collect. Having only NIB samples is only one.

I have a Gold Challenger in 95% condition. Outside looks great. Inside shows it has been shot quite a bit. Price was right - less than minimum sown for the one in the second link. I bought it for the reason stated above; to fill a gap in my collelction.

Not trying to pick on you. Just my pet peeve that you have to buy only the very top of the line to be a collector.

SO
Old 08-25-2013, 02:04 PM
bn12gg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SO ^^^ agreed, good points. Most of us collect for very different reasons. For example, NIB doesn't interest me be/c I shoot every Browning firearm I collect. While I'm interested in pristine examples, I don't collect doubles -- learning more from acquiring various Brownings. We ALL have at a minimum a slightly different itch to our collecting and/or shooting.

Again, excellent points-- Maybe we should start a thread on "Collecting/Shooting" that incorporates our various standards. Might be interesting.

David
Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 PM
10ring1

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
Thanks for the info guys. Thought it had to be overpriced. IMO, collecting is about the hunt. You search for a certain gun for years and when you finally find it, it's bittersweet. I collect Abolt 22 rifles. I have enough to keep me happy but I am always on the lookout for something special. I still think about a few stocks that got by me but I am grateful for what i have. I know it is not high priced, but I was on the search to complete a collection of Talo classic 10/22s. I had them all but needed number II. I looked for about 2 years and one day, there was a brand new one on GB. It was bittersweet, the hunt was over but my collection was complete!!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ring1 View Post
They sure are proud of that one.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Deaconblue

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I saw Renaissance Medalists on Gunbroker in the last year or so that they were asking comparable money as that Challenger and they didn't sell either... That Gold Line Challenger on Liveauction sold for $1900 so SO was right on with the price. There were quite a few Brownings in that auction including International Medalists, ATDs, Challengers, BPS, BAR, and Auto 5's, many that came with the box. And the prices seemed reasonable. I am guessing the premium was ~ 15%. However they did make a glaring mistake - they misidentified a Gold Line Medalist as a Gold Line Challenger. It did not come with the box and other parts, that I could see, and it sold for $2300. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...-pistol-22-cal The serial number is clearly visible in the pictures if it is of interest.

Last edited by Deaconblue; 08-26-2013 at 01:45 AM.