gunsmith suggestions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:46 PM
p7junkie
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
gunsmith suggestions

ok here's the deal. i've assembled all the parts needed to convert a diamondback to 22 mag. i want to send this to a competent gunsmith to do it right the first time. there seem to be alot of gunsmiths out there and only a handful of artist/machinists.
i made the mistake of taking a P7 to a local smith for some minor work. that cost me 500.00 to fix the damage that he caused. once is enough for me and i dont want another fiasco. my ulcer couldn't take it.
so, who is out there that is a competent pistol smith that can finish my pet project. all suggestions are appreciated.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Snake45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Snake45
Why not send it back to the Colt factory? I'm sure no one would do a better job.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:04 PM
p7junkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think Colt wouldn't be to impressed with converting the .22 long rifle to a .22 mag. the cylinder has to be modified and probably the barrel. the timing will have to be changed as well.
i'm not a gunsmith but I would think that it wouldn't be to difficult for a skilled smith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All right, I'll bite: Why would the timing have to be changed?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:23 PM
p7junkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
if it was a center fire it wouldn't be a problem. the center is always the center. the .22 mag is quite a bit bigger around than the regular long rifle. the cylinder would have to be drilled out to accomidate the larger cartridge. where your firing pin would be hitting the rim on the long rifle, it would be just a little to close to the center on the larger .22 mag cartridge. dont get me wrong this is just a guess from looking at the two cartridges and where the firing pin hits on my long rifle diamondback.
the colt's tolerances are closer than most other .22's out there. if this was a single action pistol the tolerances are more generous and switching cylinders not a problem.
i could be wrong though. that's why i need a good gunsmith
Old 02-06-2004, 07:23 AM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, I see what you mean now. This isn't a timing problem. Timing refers to the unlocking, rotation, and lockup of a revolver's cylinder and has nothing to do with the firing pin.

You might be right about the firing pin location for a mag. The DBK has a very simple firing pin pinned to the hammer (even if it looks like it's one solid piece, it's not. It wouldn't be a big deal to remove the factory firing pin (whether 38 or 22) and make a new firing pin that would hit the 22 mag rim, altering the hole in the frame to match.

Rechambering the cylinder won't be a problem. The barrel might be. Are you planning to shoot 22 mags in a 22LR barrel? The diameters are different, could be a problem. You could reline a barrel, if you could find a 22 mag insert. Very precision work with a revolver.

If you don't mind my saying so, I really wonder why you want to do this. You won't be gaining much ballistically in a 4" barrell and will have a gun that's much more expensive to shoot and much louder. And almost certainly worth less than it was in stock condition unless you have it done by a real "name" like Hamilton Bowen. And my guess is this'll cost you on the far side of $500 to have done. For that kind of money you should be able to locate a good used Smith M48 or a Colt Trooper MKIII already chambered in 22 mag. (When I suggested you try the Colt factory I was thinking that the DBK had been built in 22 mag, but I guess not.)
Old 02-06-2004, 09:16 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Colt may have changed their position since I asked them about 20 years ago, but at that time they would not do the conversion...........chim
Old 02-06-2004, 10:41 AM
p7junkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
i picked up a six inch barrel just in case it needed to be relined as well as an extra cylinder for a pretty good price. the diamondback it'self has seen better days and i also got a pretty good price on it.
as far as why would i do this? i can't give a good answer. or a reason that it makes sense. i love the shape and feel of the diamondback and the thump of the .22 mag. i'm going to talk it over some to make sure that if i do decide to complete the conversion then it will have acceptable accuracy. if the accuracy is going to be mediocore then ill decide not to. if the conversion poses any serious problems i'll for sure not do it.